Carbon frame or shimano 105

gitanna13

Nov 6, 2007
I am new to cycling and am quite overwhelmed with all the info around that one needs to assess when buying a bike. I am looking at spending under $1500 for a road bike. There are 2 bikes I am currently interested in (both on special). I am unsure whether to go for one with a ALLUX SL Alloy mainframe but Shimano 105 gearing (OCR 1 '07 model), or the one with a Composite carbon fibre frame and Tiagra gearing (OCR composite 3 '07 model)?

I was advised that it is better to go the 105 gearing over the other frame and tiagra gearing, but just wanted to double check. The 105 gearing model is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than the other and was told that in the long run for the price this would be a better deal.

PS If this makes any difference I am a smaller built female who will be using the bike for training and commuting purposes but do not envisage I will spend hours upon hours in the saddle (or just yet anyhow!).

Any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks

Take a ride on them and see if you can feel the difference in ride quality. And that would be the determining factor.

At the end of the day, you can always part out the Tiagra on eBay and upgrade to 105 or Ultegra.

gitanna13 said:
I am new to cycling and am quite overwhelmed with all the info around that one needs to assess when buying a bike. I am looking at spending under $1500 for a road bike. There are 2 bikes I am currently interested in (both on special). I am unsure whether to go for one with a ALLUX SL Alloy mainframe but Shimano 105 gearing (OCR 1 '07 model), or the one with a Composite carbon fibre frame and Tiagra gearing (OCR composite 3 '07 model)?

I was advised that it is better to go the 105 gearing over the other frame and tiagra gearing, but just wanted to double check. The 105 gearing model is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than the other and was told that in the long run for the price this would be a better deal.

PS If this makes any difference I am a smaller built female who will be using the bike for training and commuting purposes but do not envisage I will spend hours upon hours in the saddle (or just yet anyhow!).

Thanks
I test rode both for a while. IMHO the OCR composite was a "better bike" (very subjective) seemed smoother, lighter, BUT at the time the OCR1's were on sale for $850 and the OCR composites were not available on a triple chain-ring and were not on sale... I bought the OCR1. I am VERY happy with it. (i ride about 100 to 150 miles per week with a fair amount of steep hills; at the time I did not think i could handle the steep hills with a double chain-ring)). Keep in mind that other than the tires, the shifting and drive-train will get the most wear so if you can afford the 105 group (no plastic parts) and you can get the right gearing combination, I would go for the ALUXX frame- BTW it is a very good frame.
I think now the OCR composites come compact doubles and 105 group but they are a lot more expensive then the OCR1 (about $700? more)
Also keep in mind you still have to get a decent set of pedals and probably saddle so don't forget to add that to your total budget (that could be anywhere between $100 to $250 or more)

105 is better, but its important to be satisfied with your frame. I'm not familiar with these bikes, but I would buy the composite frame and upgrade later if Tiagra doesn't cut it.

gitanna13 said:

Thanks

You know, If the alloy is aluminum, it will have a harsher ride than the carbon- i'd go with the carbon. If it is steel, then it will weigh a little more but you will enjoy the smoother ride but carbon will be lighter. I am guessing that carbon must have some roadshock dampening ability, the fork on my bike is made of it.

You can always upgrade components, so concentrate on which frame better suites your needs. What's up with Tiagra? Is that nine or eight speed? (does that really make much of a difference to you?) I have heard that 105 these days is just as good as last year's Ultegra... In my experience, Ultegra with over 5000 miles, is still practically as good as new- you can't kill it! You will be stuck with whatever components you have chosen for quite awhile. Keep that in mind if you choose Tiagra. $1500.00 should buy almost buy a decent carbon frame with ultegra if you look around. Spend a little bit more, it won't mean that much to you if you amortize the extra money over the period of the lifetime of the bike.

Also, remember that because of the season, it is a buyer's market out there. Don't feel awkward, or cheap, ask for about 20 percent off of the price on the tag. That price is not etched in stone. A dealer will still make money off of the sale and will be happy to have made a sale at this time of the year.Youwill be happy that you got both the component group and the frame material you wanted.