Carbon Frame Repair - How?

Russ Reynolds

Mar 10, 2007
Working on the bike last night I chipped clearcoat on my Carbon frame. At least I'm convincing myself that's all I did. It's just a chip......no stress crack. It's only small, about the size of a nail head but it's rough, raised and needs to be smoothed or picked off and filled with something. What do I fill it with? I'm thinking 'Areldite' ?

Well Araldite is a two-part epoxy, so I guess it would work, but it will go yellow under UV exposure. You need to take it to someone who knows carbon fibre (and that isn't a bike shop). How exactly did you do this? If it's obviously a clearcoat chip, no problemo, but if you've punctured and damaged the carbon fibre, then that is a little more of a concern. Although one could argue that such a small defect may not be significant in the greater scheme of things.

Aren't Sydney Yachts manufactured down your way .... Nowra, or something? Give them a call, I think there's a guy who does CF masts and rudder stocks down there as well - he could tell at a glance what you've done.

Nail polish seemed to be the common recommendation. Personally I highly recommend Chanel Reflet de Laque high gloss top coat. ;)

MANPR120LG.jpg

http://uma.chanel.com/product.php?chnprd=MANPR120

Thanks for the advice. Even though the advice is from someone who really knows their nail polish, and another who is a Bombers supporter. Just joking. You probably heard me last night when I did it. I dunno what the highest stressed zone is on a bike frame but I would guess I hit it right dead centre.

Thanks again, Go the Swans. ( think I just opened up a can of worms )

Nail polish, or touch up automotive clear coat lacquer from your local car dealer.

clear.jpg

Russ Reynolds said:
Working on the bike last night I chipped clearcoat on my Carbon frame. At least I'm convincing myself that's all I did. It's just a chip......no stress crack. It's only small, about the size of a nail head but it's rough, raised and needs to be smoothed or picked off and filled with something. What do I fill it with? I'm thinking 'Areldite' ?

Functionally, you can just ignore it. If it is just a clearcoat chip then there will be no problem. If aesthetics matter to you, then try the nail polish/lacquer suggestions.