Carbon Handlebars / aerobars

Eden

Feb 28, 2005
OK - I don't want to start another flame war here. I just go a new bike and it came with carbon handlbars. I'm not going to debate the merits of carbon just now, its just that I have them and that is the situation. I don't have the moola to buy a dedicated TT bike and who knows if I'd even be able to find one small enough to fit me (I ride a 44cm!) so that is out. I can always switch to aluminum bars if I really need to, but I've heard a rumor that there is now one set of clip on aerobars that are carbon compatible. Mine are regular round shaped bars - not the funky wing shaped ones. Has any one heard of which brand / model that they are?

p.s. - put about 150 miles on the new ride over the last few days and I love it!

Eden said:
OK - I don't want to start another flame war here. I just go a new bike and it came with carbon handlbars. I'm not going to debate the merits of carbon just now, its just that I have them and that is the situation. I don't have the moola to buy a dedicated TT bike and who knows if I'd even be able to find one small enough to fit me (I ride a 44cm!) so that is out. I can always switch to aluminum bars if I really need to, but I've heard a rumor that there is now one set of clip on aerobars that are carbon compatible. Mine are regular round shaped bars - not the funky wing shaped ones. Has any one heard of which brand / model that they are?

p.s. - put about 150 miles on the new ride over the last few days and I love it!

Easton says on their website that their clip-ons are compatible with their carbon bar. It is not really the clip-on that is the issue, but rather the base bar and most carbon handlebar manufacturers don't want the liability that might come with saying that their bars can accomodate the stresses of a clip-on.