Carbon handlebars and stem for a heavy dude

Jason Spaceman

Guest
I'm thinking of upgrading my Trek 5200's handlebars & stem. Would a
carbon bar and stem be a good idea for a heavy guy (approx. 200lbs)
like me? Or should I stick to aluminum?

I like the flat top sections on some of the carbon bars (eg. the ITM
K-Sword); but I don't want to risk having the bar & stem snap on me
while riding. Plus I'm a little paranoid about installing them and
tightening bolts too tight, etc.

J. Spaceman

I'm abt the same weight and while I've used carbon bars for a while I
switched back to alloy as I've heard too many stories of ones that have
snapped; whereas, I don't hear stories of alloy bars that have sanpped
without some outside force, like a car. Also, I hear of no catastrophoic
stoies of carbon frames and forks that have snapped or broken without some
added force.

Also, you can't tell by visual inspection if you have a pending problem; so
I've decided to stay away from carbon bars. Since I'm "big" use two layers
of bar tape anyway, which help dampen a bit.

Hope that help and you save some money and skin 'cause in my book the ounce
savings isn't worth the risk.

"Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm thinking of upgrading my Trek 5200's handlebars & stem. Would a
> carbon bar and stem be a good idea for a heavy guy (approx. 200lbs)
> like me? Or should I stick to aluminum?
>
> I like the flat top sections on some of the carbon bars (eg. the ITM
> K-Sword); but I don't want to risk having the bar & stem snap on me
> while riding. Plus I'm a little paranoid about installing them and
> tightening bolts too tight, etc.
>

> J. Spaceman

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 00:00:11 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm abt the same weight and while I've used carbon bars for a while I
>switched back to alloy as I've heard too many stories of ones that have
>snapped; whereas, I don't hear stories of alloy bars that have sanpped
>without some outside force, like a car.

Everything can break, and I've heard of aluminum bars snapping.
Generally very light ones or very old ones.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 00:00:11 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm abt the same weight and while I've used carbon bars for a while I
> >switched back to alloy as I've heard too many stories of ones that have
> >snapped; whereas, I don't hear stories of alloy bars that have sanpped
> >without some outside force, like a car.

> Everything can break, and I've heard of aluminum bars snapping.
> Generally very light ones or very old ones.
>
> JT
>
> ****************************
> Remove "remove" to reply
> Visit http://www.jt10000.com
> ****************************

usually you can see aluminum fracturing prior to it's failure. you just
have to pay attention to important stress points and know what to look
for (very small hairlines- creaking will indicate imminent failure)

On 11 Aug 2006 17:33:28 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 00:00:11 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm abt the same weight and while I've used carbon bars for a while I
>> >switched back to alloy as I've heard too many stories of ones that have
>> >snapped; whereas, I don't hear stories of alloy bars that have sanpped
>> >without some outside force, like a car.

>> Everything can break, and I've heard of aluminum bars snapping.
>> Generally very light ones or very old ones.
>>
>> JT
>>
>> ****************************
>> Remove "remove" to reply
>> Visit http://www.jt10000.com
>> ****************************

>usually you can see aluminum fracturing prior to it's failure. you just
>have to pay attention to important stress points and know what to look
>for (very small hairlines- creaking will indicate imminent failure)

Dear R.,

Handlebar creaking can indicate imminent failure.

Creaking can also indicate that the owner should have tightened the
bolt a little more when installing the handlebar.

Or so I've he--

Er, or so I've read.

Certainly I never heard that sound. Not on my bike. Uh-uh. Must have
been crickets, not a loose bolt.

Chirp!

Carl Fogel

Jason Spaceman wrote:
> I'm thinking of upgrading my Trek 5200's handlebars & stem. Would a
> carbon bar and stem be a good idea for a heavy guy (approx. 200lbs)
> like me? Or should I stick to aluminum?
>
> I like the flat top sections on some of the carbon bars (eg. the ITM
> K-Sword); but I don't want to risk having the bar & stem snap on me
> while riding. Plus I'm a little paranoid about installing them and
> tightening bolts too tight, etc.
>

> J. Spaceman

If you want a flat topped hbar...look at the Ritchey one in aluminum.
Carbon stems are just plain dummm...btw-they do nuthin but empty your
wallet.

Jason Spaceman wrote:
> I'm thinking of upgrading my Trek 5200's handlebars & stem. Would a
> carbon bar and stem be a good idea for a heavy guy (approx. 200lbs)
> like me? Or should I stick to aluminum?
>
> I like the flat top sections on some of the carbon bars (eg. the ITM
> K-Sword); but I don't want to risk having the bar & stem snap on me
> while riding. Plus I'm a little paranoid about installing them and
> tightening bolts too tight, etc.

At 200# you are probably big. Maybe big hands too? the ITM K-Sword
doesn't fit my big hands too well. I borrowed somebody's bike to test.
Just sitting on a stationary bike or holding a pair in your hands isn't
enough to tell. For big hands I am reasonable satisfied with the ITM
Wing Shape. Nice flat top section, and large (larger than anything else
I've tried) drop section.

If the K-Sword is what you end up with, don't worry about over
tightening as long as you have the matching K-Sword stem. But with any
other carbon bars I'd prefer a 2-bolt stem for more even pressuer (vs a
4 bolt) and use a torque-wrench. Erring on the side of too loose is
probably an even worse option that too tight!

Joseph

Jason Spaceman <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I'm thinking of upgrading my Trek 5200's handlebars & stem. Would a
> carbon bar and stem be a good idea for a heavy guy (approx. 200lbs)
> like me? Or should I stick to aluminum?
>
> I like the flat top sections on some of the carbon bars (eg. the ITM
> K-Sword); but I don't want to risk having the bar & stem snap on me
> while riding. Plus I'm a little paranoid about installing them and
> tightening bolts too tight, etc.
>

> J. Spaceman

What did you hope to gain by going to carbon?

There are bar contouring sets available for under the tape.

I've just made do with a double layer of tape and good gloves for a larger
handsize.

wvantwiller wrote:
> There are bar contouring sets available for under the tape.

Link, please?

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Everyone confesses that exertion which brings out all the powers of body
and mind is the best thing for us; but most people do all they can to
get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than
circumstances drive them to do. -Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and
novelist (1811-1896)

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Jason Spaceman wrote:
> > I'm thinking of upgrading my Trek 5200's handlebars & stem. Would a
> > carbon bar and stem be a good idea for a heavy guy (approx. 200lbs)
> > like me? Or should I stick to aluminum?
> >
> > I like the flat top sections on some of the carbon bars (eg. the ITM
> > K-Sword); but I don't want to risk having the bar & stem snap on me
> > while riding. Plus I'm a little paranoid about installing them and
> > tightening bolts too tight, etc.
> >

> > J. Spaceman

> If you want a flat topped hbar...look at the Ritchey one in aluminum.
> Carbon stems are just plain dummm...btw-they do nuthin but empty your
> wallet.

Second on the "Sweep" bar. I have the carbons on my race bike (180lbs)
and the Aluminum ones on my rain bike. They are so comfortable I don't
know why I didn't look into something like this sooner. That - and
they don't do the weird rise thing like the FSAs.

Carbon stems are dumb.