Carbon: How much and where?

ejglows

Apr 3, 2004
Is carbon for everyone? What pieces/where on your bike do you have carbon? Right now only my fork is carbon, but I am looking into getting a carbon seat post and would like to know just how much of a difference does it make?

Does Carbon now rule the world? (Once upon a time aluminum was supposed to become the "gold standard" and now it is a much debated topic)

ejglows said:
.............. but I am looking into getting a carbon seat post and would like to know just how much of a difference does it make?
It's good for 10 bling points and 5 poseur' points.

Eventually bit the bullet a while back and got 2004 campag record groupset, haven't ridden the bike far(only from the bike shop) since having it fitted. Its first trial will be in france on wednesday!!

The bike is a hell of a lot lighter though, couldn't believe how much lighter.
So all i can say is that it makes the bike lighter

Let's go top to bottom. Why not? I'm open to anything. Ain't nothing wrong with *bling* points. I wouldn't use a tip-to-toe carbon bike for freeriding or 'cross, but given the budget, I'd love to give a full-on CF bike some time under my ass.

That said, my current carbon uses -- fork, seatstay, shoes, handlebar and stem faceplate (faceplate? why? it looks cool) -- suffice.

Frame, fork, seatpost, a few components (02 Record/Chorus group). Soon to be rims - sent the money off today.

Would like to get the Cinelli RAM bars sometime this winter. No real performance increase, they just look sharp. So does the Record crank, but I draw the line at a $600 crankset...

JohnO said:
Frame, fork, seatpost, a few components (02 Record/Chorus group). Soon to be rims - sent the money off today.

Would like to get the Cinelli RAM bars sometime this winter. No real performance increase, they just look sharp. So does the Record crank, but I draw the line at a $600 crankset...
FSA makes a nice carbon crankset for a lot less than $600. US-made, not italian of course, but Cinelli seems to use them on their Record-equipped bikes. FSA has a cool molded CF handlebar as well. If bling is your thing, several fine CF options are out there other than Campy/Shimano...if you care to mix and match that is.

Believe we're going to see a lot more CF frames/forks and pieces on mid-to-low priced bikes over the next few years. Of course, once it becomes commonplace, it will lose it's bling-factor.

ejglows said:
Is carbon for everyone? What pieces/where on your bike do you have carbon? Right now only my fork is carbon, but I am looking into getting a carbon seat post and would like to know just how much of a difference does it make?

Does Carbon now rule the world? (Once upon a time aluminum was supposed to become the "gold standard" and now it is a much debated topic)
try this, nice 10 speed capagnolo record groupo

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DHCyclesport

or Dura ace if you prefare. he is very fast fair and reliable i have found from past purchases.

ejglows said:

I'm on a carbon frame with carbon fork and seat post. Previously I rode on an all AL bike. While I do notice a bit of a drop in road vibration and overall more long term comfort now, there's at least as much road shock if not actually more of it should I hit larger bumps along the way. Sadly, I cant really confirm that you'll notice an improvement simply with the upgrade to a carbon seat post, as I didnt do that on my AL bike before building the current one. I'd like to think you'd notice some difference, but I'm inclined to think not much if any just on the post replacement. I actually got the most noticible improvement of any change as regards comfort by switching to the Arione saddle..

Carbon ruling the world? Subjective at best as some will say Ti and others steel. Still others are set on AL. Personally, at least as far as the frame, I absolutely love the current carbon I have (LOOK KG381i Team) - very light, stiff enough, very lively, comfortable and feels a lot more racy than my previous ride in terms of handling (some of this is admittedly also the fit, as well as frame geometry). Should I need another road frame I'm getting the same one again (or its current make, I think its the 481 SL). This is a subjective choice for everyone..

Anyway, if its an upgrade for comfort you seek, I recommend toying with the idea of the Arione. If you love your current saddle, go for the carbon seat post - it'll make some difference in dampening, but if its not enough to really even notice then it'll likely at least make a small difference in weight. If you dont notice that either, well, it'll likely at least make you happy having upgraded the bike some and that is always worth it. A little extra smile always goes a long ways towards knocking down a few tough hills in succession. :p

zugabuga said:
I ride a carbon frame , fork and seatpost. Just picked up a handlebar and stem from www.velocarbon.com. That is probably enough for me.
i ride a full carbon frame forks seat post with dura ace. my training bike is alloy and i did notice improvements in vibration cases when i fitted it with carbon forks, maybe the seatpost has made a difference but it ain't to recognisable.

Just purchased a Trek 5500 so frame and fork for that.

My old bike a Lemond Zurich (2000) had a carbon fork.

I put a Aluminum FSA compact crank (Gossamar) on the 5500. I was a bit worried I would trash a carbon crank transporting/carrying my bike ;)

Carbon fiber fork and backstays, the center triangle is AL - De Rosa Planet Frame.

Would love a bit more carbon, but cannot justify the cost. Rest of the bike is 03 Chorus, with a few bits of Deda Elementi and Rolls saddle thrown in.

Next bike will be all carbon with full record on it. In about 2012... lol

:eek:

Powerful Pete said:
Carbon fiber fork and backstays, the center triangle is AL - De Rosa Planet Frame.

Would love a bit more carbon, but cannot justify the cost. Rest of the bike is 03 Chorus, with a few bits of Deda Elementi and Rolls saddle thrown in.

DHLCYCLES Ebayshops " dave is selling full campag carbon record groupo's" £800 or so pounds plus duraace, get em quick whilst stocks last...

Here is my personal Carbon Component checklist:

Seat Post
Stem
Handlebars
Wheelset
Water Bottle Cages
Headset Spacers
Brake Levers
Cranks
FD/RD

Best Wishes,
Vector7

Powerful Pete said:

That Planet is a cool-looking frame; love the white with the DeRosa logo. Are they pretty common in Italy? Almost ordered one here, but decided to get something similar built by our local builder.

For full carbon bikes, I like the matte black finish ala Look or Kestrel Evoke.

Carbon fork and carbon rear triangle ("03 Mod 5.0 frame). Carb FSA Compact crank...had a Easton carb seatpost and that was too much for me...Ride got too springy and I feel it made the rear triangle dead...switched to a Ritchey Pro ALU post and things got snappier. the Mod 5.0 is a compact frame so I think there was too much thinwall carb above the virtual ST/TT geometry. The full rear triangle is still a bit "bouncy" if you ask me, which might be the same to most people as smoothing out a ride, since it doesn't jolt the rider. FTR I average between 175-180 lbs. depending on the day. The FSA cranks are superb and the Columbus Carve fork is smooth too. This bike is definitely the easiest on the body of the 3 that I own...SLX steel, all ALU and carb/ALU.

FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue crank, Easton EC 90 fork, and as of this Friday, Campy Record RD, FD, and shifters.

I'm not sure what 'bling' is, but it must be something powerful 'cuz the alleged experts on BBS's accuse people of wanting it all the time. Not sure what qualifies one to be the poseur that these same experts--each of them, no doubt, a hardman to the core and truly in touch with the altruistic tenets of True Bicycling--brand people as. I do know that my forks do a nice job of damping high frequency vibes (more of an evolutionary, rather than revolutionary, change to ride characteristics.). The crank is nicely stiff, light, and crafted in a way that would have made Frank Lloyd W. proud. As for the Record stuff.....iffin' I'm payin' for an upgrade, I'm gonna pay for an upgrade that won't sour on me later or leave me wanting more. And I do like the idea of lightening my 1992 Paramount OS steed. Despite what pseudo scientists here-abouts claim about small increases in performance w/ decreased weight, I'm aware of the itty bitty fact re: thermal engine efficiency and how inefficient human bodies can be. I also know said inefficient engine can never provide the contant power output that the local Gods of Cycling Knowledge use in their performance metrics. Given all that, lighter allows my finite energy supply to do work over a longer period of time, and as I lose weight and become more efficient, well, then I'll be able to do even more work over a greater time. Hmmm...imagine that. That second law of thermo thingy seems like an important thing to remember, one that some local experts can't find in their Encylopedia's Brittanica.

I love products that perform well, and I love them that much more when they are of a particularly beautiful design (I once fondled and ogled a CNC'd aftermarket suspension link for an old race motorcycle of mine for hours. It was an orgasmic thing of perfect design and function.). So......let the self righteous, holier than thous keep the bling and poseur points that they so love to foist on others.

ENTIRE FRAME and now my pedals (Look CX-6). I had a carbon post, but had way too much trouble with them. At the time, my bike seat tube would 'pinch' the post to keep in place–NOT good for carbon posts. Now I have a standard 'clamp' style, but bought a Thomson Masterpiece post and I think I'm gonna stick with it.

gargiulo said:
ENTIRE FRAME and now my pedals (Look CX-6). I had a carbon post, but had way too much trouble with them. At the time, my bike seat tube would 'pinch' the post to keep in place–NOT good for carbon posts. Now I have a standard 'clamp' style, but bought a Thomson Masterpiece post and I think I'm gonna stick with it.
http://www.chucksbikes.com/store/newitems.htm

FSA Cranks and BB plus carbon frame.