Carbon Hubs

carbonguru

Sep 14, 2006
Is anyone riding a wheelset with them? If so, do you like the way they feel? Are there any vibration dampening properties? Does the wheelset feel dead in any way? What about durability? Thanks for your insight. I am interested in them, but I don't want to drop big money on a wheelset that may not hold up. :)

carbonguru said:
Is anyone riding a wheelset with them? If so, do you like the way they feel? Are there any vibration dampening properties? Does the wheelset feel dead in any way? What about durability? Thanks for your insight. I am interested in them, but I don't want to drop big money on a wheelset that may not hold up. :)
I don't feel lot of difference,
There are some vibrations.
What do you meen by feeling dead ?
Durability hum (They are working OK I have never had problems with them, all I do is clean them once in a while)

You should try to get someone to lend you first and then buy it. But there really isn't a big difference beetwen carbon and regular material ;)

That is what I figured. I think it may be more of a marketing ploy than anything else. I appreciate your reply.

sk8ar said:
I don't feel lot of difference,

There are some vibrations.
What do you meen by feeling dead ?
Durability hum (They are working OK I have never had problems with them, all I do is clean them once in a while)

You should try to get someone to lend you first and then buy it. But there really isn't a big difference beetwen carbon and regular material ;)

carbonguru said:
That is what I figured. I think it may be more of a marketing ploy than anything else. I appreciate your reply.
I have some ti hubs but dont really notice. I also have some old ti rims (Araya Tita-Ace) and they were pretty light, I think about 280 or 290 gr and they really had a great ride. So I think it is the rim and as we have discussed, the tire that matters. Speaking of tires, ever hear of a Hutchinson VIT180? Used to use them on the front only and they were very light and had the best ride. I don't know where to buy them now. I have some aero carbon rims and while I thought they rode well (they are tubular) I was surprised to find my Mavic Ksyriums have a more comfortable ride. I like the light weight of the carbon so they are going to stay on the bike.:)

Carbon hubs wouldn't make a single difference but weight. You can only use straight pull or moulded spokes (lightweights) with them. Bearing diameters aren't the greatest. Go for them if you like, but for that small amount of carbon, there would be 0 difference to aluminium.

I agree. It's all about weight with carbon hubs. No real performance increases from what I have read.

bobbyOCR said:
Carbon hubs wouldn't make a single difference but weight. You can only use straight pull or moulded spokes (lightweights) with them. Bearing diameters aren't the greatest. Go for them if you like, but for that small amount of carbon, there would be 0 difference to aluminium.