Carbon MTB frame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On 03 Feb 2003 13:13:26 GMT, [email protected] (TDWFL) wrote:

>Is this scary? I can understand a carbon road frame but with the bashing an offroad bike take I
>wonder how this would hold up.
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2705839919&category=27948
>

>tim

My Kestrel CSX is coming up on its tenth anniversary... still going strong... the material is not an
issue... the design and engineering are the issue.

I know nothing about how the bike pictured is put together... that being said I do not like the look
of the design and would want to know a lot more before I trusted it ..

"TDWFL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Is this scary? I can understand a carbon road frame but
with the bashing an
> offroad bike take I wonder how this would hold up.

It might seem that way, but in fact carbon composite frames have proven to be very tough and
reliable. Keep in mind that aluminum, and even steel bikes are prone to denting, which can
compromise their strength irrepairably. Typical carbon/epoxy frames can often be repaired quite
easily. And the thermoplastic/carbon frames that GT built for awhile are probably the toughest ever.

Matt O.

Nothing wrong with a composite frame mtb. For years Chevy's been using composite leaf springs in the
rear suspension of Corvettes, and I'd say that's a tougher job.

BUT - Cannondale did have a recall on some of the Raven-style frames similar to that one, and the
fix involved dealer-applied structural foam injection in the BB area to shore up the purported weak
spot. Not sure if that model's affected, though.

SB