Carbon Or Aluminum Crankset Better?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jim Morrison, Sep 9, 2003.

  1. Jim Morrison

    Jim Morrison Guest

    I just ordered a Felt35R road bike and am looking to make a decision on whether or not to keep the
    FSA carbon crankset that's standard issue on the bike or change it to perhaps the FSA Gossamer
    crankset. My concern is mainly a strength/durability/stiffness concern. I currently weigh in around
    230-235 lbs and knowing that most bike components are designed to cater to a lighter weight class as
    a generality I want to make sure that I am getting the best crankset on the bike that will provide
    the best performance for me.

    I've been assured by FSA and Felt that there will be no issues with the carbon cranks whatsoever in
    reference to me as a rider. There is no weight limit restriction by FSA. I was hoping others here
    might be able to share positive/negative experiences or opinions with the FSA carbon cranks.

    Tags:

  2. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Jim Morrison" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I just ordered a Felt35R road bike and am looking to make a decision on whether or not to keep the
    >FSA carbon crankset that's standard issue on the bike or change it to perhaps the FSA Gossamer
    >crankset. My concern is mainly a strength/durability/stiffness concern. I currently weigh in around
    >230-235 lbs and knowing that most bike components are designed to cater to a lighter weight class
    >as a generality I want to make sure that I am getting the best crankset on the bike that will
    >provide the best performance for me.
    >
    >I've been assured by FSA and Felt that there will be no issues with the carbon cranks whatsoever in
    >reference to me as a rider. There is no weight limit restriction by FSA. I was hoping others here
    >might be able to share positive/negative experiences or opinions with the FSA carbon cranks.

    What's your motivation to use the CF cranks? It's easy to know that the cold-forged cranks from the
    "big guys" will handle your weight - but the new CF cranks are an unknown at this point. Hey, they
    may be just as strong as a "real crank"... or not. The question is, do you want to be a test pilot
    and help determine their limitations or not. A broken crank is an ugly thing to experience.

    One thing I DO know about 'em is they're easy to mess up - I got a pair for a buddy of mine (though
    for his MTB). They only lasted a few months before they were so beat up they couldn't be trusted.
    Scratches that would be cosmetic on an aluminum crank affected the carbon fiber weave, which could
    create a stress riser and cause a break.

    Mark "I'll take the aluminum, thanks" Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the
    $695 ti frame