Carbon rims and tufo cross tires.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Nov 28, 2005.

  1. I am thinking about buying a pair of carbon tubular rims and I plan to
    use them for cross.
    I use tufo tires, the 32's and 34's and they
    have very wide tape for a gluing service and it doesn't seem to sit
    well with these type of rims because the rim groove is too deep?
    Should I buy a special tape and glue it to the rim to make the rims
    groove not so deep, making it easier for the tire to glue properly?
    I have noticed that the Euro Cross Pros seem to all be using carbon
    wheels and I am curious to know if they are doing anything special to
    make sure the tires stick properly with their carbon rims?

    Tags:

  2. Dave Mayer

    Dave Mayer Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I have noticed that the Euro Cross Pros seem to all be using carbon
    > wheels and I am curious to know if they are doing anything special to
    > make sure the tires stick properly with their carbon rims?

    You may also want to check if you can afford to burn through the sidewalls
    of a $2000 set of wheels in one race. My son went completely through a new
    set of brake pads and aluminum rims in a single muddy cross-country MTB
    race.

    With respect to abrasion resistance, I cannot see how the epoxy used in
    carbon rims would be superior to aluminum. Not that aluminum is that great,
    but alu rims can generally be picked up for $50 a pop each.

  3. jim beam

    jim beam Guest

    Dave Mayer wrote:
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >

    >>I have noticed that the Euro Cross Pros seem to all be using carbon
    >>wheels and I am curious to know if they are doing anything special to
    >>make sure the tires stick properly with their carbon rims?
    >>

    > You may also want to check if you can afford to burn through the sidewalls
    > of a $2000 set of wheels in one race. My son went completely through a new
    > set of brake pads and aluminum rims in a single muddy cross-country MTB
    > race.

    been there, done that! that's why we have ceramic rims and disk brakes.

  4. [email protected] wrote:
    > I am thinking about buying a pair of carbon tubular rims and I plan to
    > use them for cross.
    > I use tufo tires, the 32's and 34's and they
    > have very wide tape for a gluing service and it doesn't seem to sit
    > well with these type of rims because the rim groove is too deep?
    > Should I buy a special tape and glue it to the rim to make the rims
    > groove not so deep, making it easier for the tire to glue properly?
    > I have noticed that the Euro Cross Pros seem to all be using carbon
    > wheels and I am curious to know if they are doing anything special to
    > make sure the tires stick properly with their carbon rims?

    What make and model rims?

    Some carbon tubs are designed for TTs and Tris, so sometimes have a
    smaller radius in the tire well to fit the narrower tires preferred in
    these disciplines. Other carbon rims may have larger radius that shold
    fit wider CX tires better. For example, my Bontrager carbon aeros fit
    great with 19mm tubs, while the Race XXX Lites fit wider tires better.