Carbon rims braking characteristics

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by peterwright, Feb 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterwright

peterwright New Member

I am riding zipp 404 tubular rims with Kool stop carbon compound pads from Zipp. I am finding that it is very easy to lock up the back wheel when braking moderately hard. Is this normal ?

I would also like to find out what life expectancy I can expect from this pad / rim combination as it seems to be wearing very fast.

Thanks

Peter

Tags:

2. Arthur Clune

Arthur Clune Guest

peterwright <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I am riding zipp 404 tubular rims with Kool stop carbon compound pads from Zipp. I am finding that
    : it is very easy to lock up the back wheel when braking moderately hard. Is this normal ?

Yes. Carbon rims are noted for being "grabby" and inconsistent like this.

: I would also like to find out what life expectancy I can expect from this pad / rim combination as
    : it seems to be wearing very fast.

They do.

Arthur

--
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

3. Robert Brown

Robert Brown Guest

peterwright wrote:

> I am riding zipp 404 tubular rims with Kool stop carbon compound pads from Zipp. I am finding that
    > it is very easy to lock up the back wheel when braking moderately hard. Is this normal ?
    >
    > I would also like to find out what life expectancy I can expect from this pad / rim combination as
    > it seems to be wearing very fast.

Sorry I cannot answer your questions, but I want to ask one of mine if that's OK.

I am considering buying wheels with carbon rims. Noting your comment regarding wear on your
    pads/rims, I am curious to know if your rims' braking surfaces are getting hammered more than
    the pads. It is the risk of pads chewing up / fraying the fibres on the rim that has got me
    reluctant to buy.

What wear patterns are you getting?

TIA /Robert

4. peterwright

peterwright New Member

5. Woogoogle

Woogoogle Guest

Robert Brown <rxob[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Sorry I cannot answer your questions, but I want to ask one of mine if that's OK.
    >
    > I am considering buying wheels with carbon rims. Noting your comment regarding wear on your
    > pads/rims, I am curious to know if your rims' braking surfaces are getting hammered more than
    > the pads. It is the risk of pads chewing up / fraying the fibres on the rim that has got me
    > reluctant to buy.
    >
    > What wear patterns are you getting?
    >
    > TIA /Robert
    What's wrong with HED's carbon fairing wheels with aluminum rims?

6. Mike S.

Mike S. Guest

"Robert Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > peterwright wrote:
    >
    > > I am riding zipp 404 tubular rims with Kool stop carbon compound pads from Zipp. I am finding
    > > that it is very easy to lock up the back wheel when braking moderately hard. Is this normal ?
    > >
    > > I would also like to find out what life expectancy I can expect from this pad / rim combination
    > > as it seems to be wearing very fast.
    >
    > Sorry I cannot answer your questions, but I want to ask one of mine if that's OK.
    >
    > I am considering buying wheels with carbon rims. Noting your comment regarding wear on your
    > pads/rims, I am curious to know if your rims' braking surfaces are getting hammered more than
    > the pads. It is the risk of pads chewing up / fraying the fibres on the rim that has got me
    > reluctant to buy.
    >
    > What wear patterns are you getting?
    >
    > TIA /Robert

I've got a pair of 404s that I've ridden a few times now. Zipp makes a special brake track area that
    is supposed to be more consistent than the older designs. Can't comment on the older design, but the
    new brake track is still a little grabby. There seems to be an area that you can tell is being
    braked on, but I seriously doubt there's going to be any safety issues.

Mike

7. Bill Lloyd

Bill Lloyd Guest

You tell me:

http://www.altovelo.org/rr01/results/

That's what you get when you mix carbon fiber rims with regular brake pads and lowside the rear
    wheel when you lock it up at 40 mph in a corner.

;-)

On 2004-02-03 23:51:21 -0800, peterwright <[email protected]> said:

> I am riding zipp 404 tubular rims with Kool stop carbon compound pads from Zipp. I am finding that
    > it is very easy to lock up the back wheel when braking moderately hard. Is this normal ?
    >
    > I would also like to find out what life expectancy I can expect from this pad / rim combination as
    > it seems to be wearing very fast.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Peter
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >

8. Ted B

Ted B New Member

:eek:

Damn that looks like at least a week worth of pain. I am very sorry you had to endure that.

Glad I bought the Zipp pads....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.