Carbon rims braking characteristics

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by peterwright, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. peterwright

    peterwright New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2003
    I am riding zipp 404 tubular rims with Kool stop carbon compound pads from Zipp. I am finding that it is very easy to lock up the back wheel when braking moderately hard. Is this normal ?

    I would also like to find out what life expectancy I can expect from this pad / rim combination as it seems to be wearing very fast.

    Thanks

    Peter

    Tags:

  2. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    peterwright <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I am riding zipp 404 tubular rims with Kool stop carbon compound pads from Zipp. I am finding that
    : it is very easy to lock up the back wheel when braking moderately hard. Is this normal ?

    Yes. Carbon rims are noted for being "grabby" and inconsistent like this.

    : I would also like to find out what life expectancy I can expect from this pad / rim combination as
    : it seems to be wearing very fast.

    They do.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  3. Robert Brown

    Robert Brown Guest

    peterwright wrote:

    > I am riding zipp 404 tubular rims with Kool stop carbon compound pads from Zipp. I am finding that
    > it is very easy to lock up the back wheel when braking moderately hard. Is this normal ?
    >
    > I would also like to find out what life expectancy I can expect from this pad / rim combination as
    > it seems to be wearing very fast.

    Sorry I cannot answer your questions, but I want to ask one of mine if that's OK.

    I am considering buying wheels with carbon rims. Noting your comment regarding wear on your
    pads/rims, I am curious to know if your rims' braking surfaces are getting hammered more than
    the pads. It is the risk of pads chewing up / fraying the fibres on the rim that has got me
    reluctant to buy.

    What wear patterns are you getting?

    TIA /Robert

  4. peterwright

    peterwright New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2003

  5. Woogoogle

    Woogoogle Guest

    Robert Brown <rxob[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Sorry I cannot answer your questions, but I want to ask one of mine if that's OK.
    >
    > I am considering buying wheels with carbon rims. Noting your comment regarding wear on your
    > pads/rims, I am curious to know if your rims' braking surfaces are getting hammered more than
    > the pads. It is the risk of pads chewing up / fraying the fibres on the rim that has got me
    > reluctant to buy.
    >
    > What wear patterns are you getting?
    >
    > TIA /Robert
    What's wrong with HED's carbon fairing wheels with aluminum rims?

  6. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Robert Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > peterwright wrote:
    >
    > > I am riding zipp 404 tubular rims with Kool stop carbon compound pads from Zipp. I am finding
    > > that it is very easy to lock up the back wheel when braking moderately hard. Is this normal ?
    > >
    > > I would also like to find out what life expectancy I can expect from this pad / rim combination
    > > as it seems to be wearing very fast.
    >
    > Sorry I cannot answer your questions, but I want to ask one of mine if that's OK.
    >
    > I am considering buying wheels with carbon rims. Noting your comment regarding wear on your
    > pads/rims, I am curious to know if your rims' braking surfaces are getting hammered more than
    > the pads. It is the risk of pads chewing up / fraying the fibres on the rim that has got me
    > reluctant to buy.
    >
    > What wear patterns are you getting?
    >
    > TIA /Robert

    I've got a pair of 404s that I've ridden a few times now. Zipp makes a special brake track area that
    is supposed to be more consistent than the older designs. Can't comment on the older design, but the
    new brake track is still a little grabby. There seems to be an area that you can tell is being
    braked on, but I seriously doubt there's going to be any safety issues.

    Mike

  7. Bill Lloyd

    Bill Lloyd Guest

    You tell me:

    http://www.altovelo.org/rr01/results/

    That's what you get when you mix carbon fiber rims with regular brake pads and lowside the rear
    wheel when you lock it up at 40 mph in a corner.

    ;-)

    On 2004-02-03 23:51:21 -0800, peterwright <[email protected]> said:

    > I am riding zipp 404 tubular rims with Kool stop carbon compound pads from Zipp. I am finding that
    > it is very easy to lock up the back wheel when braking moderately hard. Is this normal ?
    >
    > I would also like to find out what life expectancy I can expect from this pad / rim combination as
    > it seems to be wearing very fast.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > --

  8. Ted B

    Ted B New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2003
    :eek:

    Damn that looks like at least a week worth of pain. I am very sorry you had to endure that.

    Glad I bought the Zipp pads....