Carbon rims braking characteristics

peterwright

New Member
Mar 5, 2003
I am riding zipp 404 tubular rims with Kool stop carbon compound pads from Zipp. I am finding that it is very easy to lock up the back wheel when braking moderately hard. Is this normal ?

I would also like to find out what life expectancy I can expect from this pad / rim combination as it seems to be wearing very fast.

Thanks

Peter

peterwright <[email protected]> wrote:
: I am riding zipp 404 tubular rims with Kool stop carbon compound pads from Zipp. I am finding that
: it is very easy to lock up the back wheel when braking moderately hard. Is this normal ?

Yes. Carbon rims are noted for being "grabby" and inconsistent like this.

: I would also like to find out what life expectancy I can expect from this pad / rim combination as
: it seems to be wearing very fast.

They do.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook

peterwright wrote:

> I am riding zipp 404 tubular rims with Kool stop carbon compound pads from Zipp. I am finding that
> it is very easy to lock up the back wheel when braking moderately hard. Is this normal ?
>
> I would also like to find out what life expectancy I can expect from this pad / rim combination as
> it seems to be wearing very fast.

Sorry I cannot answer your questions, but I want to ask one of mine if that's OK.

I am considering buying wheels with carbon rims. Noting your comment regarding wear on your
pads/rims, I am curious to know if your rims' braking surfaces are getting hammered more than
the pads. It is the risk of pads chewing up / fraying the fibres on the rim that has got me
reluctant to buy.

What wear patterns are you getting?

TIA /Robert

Originally posted by Robert Brown
peterwright wrote:

> I am riding zipp 404 tubular rims with Kool stop carbon compound pads from Zipp. I am finding that
> it is very easy to lock up the back wheel when braking moderately hard. Is this normal ?
>
> I would also like to find out what life expectancy I can expect from this pad / rim combination as
> it seems to be wearing very fast.

Sorry I cannot answer your questions, but I want to ask one of mine if that's OK.

I am considering buying wheels with carbon rims. Noting your comment regarding wear on your
pads/rims, I am curious to know if your rims' braking surfaces are getting hammered more than
the pads. It is the risk of pads chewing up / fraying the fibres on the rim that has got me
reluctant to buy.

What wear patterns are you getting?

Early days as only have 3 rides on the wheels. Loks like pads will wear and protect rims from what I can see. Gone through half the pad already - quite hilly riding though.

TIA /Robert

Robert Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Sorry I cannot answer your questions, but I want to ask one of mine if that's OK.
>
> I am considering buying wheels with carbon rims. Noting your comment regarding wear on your
> pads/rims, I am curious to know if your rims' braking surfaces are getting hammered more than
> the pads. It is the risk of pads chewing up / fraying the fibres on the rim that has got me
> reluctant to buy.
>
> What wear patterns are you getting?
>
> TIA /Robert
What's wrong with HED's carbon fairing wheels with aluminum rims?

"Robert Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> peterwright wrote:
>
> > I am riding zipp 404 tubular rims with Kool stop carbon compound pads from Zipp. I am finding
> > that it is very easy to lock up the back wheel when braking moderately hard. Is this normal ?
> >
> > I would also like to find out what life expectancy I can expect from this pad / rim combination
> > as it seems to be wearing very fast.
>
> Sorry I cannot answer your questions, but I want to ask one of mine if that's OK.
>
> I am considering buying wheels with carbon rims. Noting your comment regarding wear on your
> pads/rims, I am curious to know if your rims' braking surfaces are getting hammered more than
> the pads. It is the risk of pads chewing up / fraying the fibres on the rim that has got me
> reluctant to buy.
>
> What wear patterns are you getting?
>
> TIA /Robert

I've got a pair of 404s that I've ridden a few times now. Zipp makes a special brake track area that
is supposed to be more consistent than the older designs. Can't comment on the older design, but the
new brake track is still a little grabby. There seems to be an area that you can tell is being
braked on, but I seriously doubt there's going to be any safety issues.

Mike

You tell me:

http://www.altovelo.org/rr01/results/

That's what you get when you mix carbon fiber rims with regular brake pads and lowside the rear
wheel when you lock it up at 40 mph in a corner.

;-)

On 2004-02-03 23:51:21 -0800, peterwright <[email protected]> said:

> I am riding zipp 404 tubular rims with Kool stop carbon compound pads from Zipp. I am finding that
> it is very easy to lock up the back wheel when braking moderately hard. Is this normal ?
>
> I would also like to find out what life expectancy I can expect from this pad / rim combination as
> it seems to be wearing very fast.
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter
>

> --

Originally posted by Bill Lloyd
You tell me:

http://www.altovelo.org/rr01/results/

That's what you get when you mix carbon fiber rims with regular brake pads and lowside the rear
wheel when you lock it up at 40 mph in a corner.

:eek:

Damn that looks like at least a week worth of pain. I am very sorry you had to endure that.

Glad I bought the Zipp pads....