Carbon saddle for long distance? APOLLO?

samtheclip

Sep 22, 2003
Would anyone recommend a carbon saddle for an Ironman event? I was looking at the AX lightness Apollo. Yes, I want a nice light saddle but, I also want some comfort. Any info would be appreciated. I hate to spend $300 on a saddle and not like it.

Thanks,
Sam

Originally posted by samtheclip
Would anyone recommend a carbon saddle for an Ironman event? I was looking at the AX lightness Apollo. Yes, I want a nice light saddle but, I also want some comfort. Any info would be appreciated. I hate to spend $300 on a saddle and not like it.

Thanks,
Sam

I have never ridden a carbon saddle. But I can't imagine they are a good idea for any distance. 112 miles on one sounds exceptionally painful. Tri geeks seem to prefer the fat gel-nosed saddle like the Azoto and new tri Aspide.

Buy the San Marco Era Cmposite. I have this saddle. It is full carbon with special composite pads. Its not the lightest, but still 128gram! The weight is real (so not some fake weigth. Mine was 130g.). It feels very good (I am 60kg).

I dont ride 100+km. But for 1hour rides and training I have no pain at all. But I am not a heavy rider (60kg), small size (... ) and have a Carbon bike (that absorbes shocks a bit). So if you are also not heavy, need a small saddle I think it a good saddle for you. Here in Europe it is $200.

I'm can't think of why a well-fitting carbon saddle wouldn't be a good choice for longer rides. Conventional wisdom in the cycling world holds that, provided the shape and position is correctly dialed, less padding tends to equal greater long-term comfort.

It's not a fixed rule for every butt, of course, but it's true for many. Your pelvic bones can carry you all day, but your soft tissues compress, crush... nerves and vessels pinch. Padding tends to spread pressure to those areas; after the 30 minute mark, softer saddles can work against you.

Given that, I'd have to assume that a carbon saddle could carry you to hell and back if it's the right size and shape, and properly dialed. There was a three-way review of the carbon offerings from San Marcos, Italia, and AX Lightness in Bicycling sometime last fall or winter... I seem to recall the article questioning the durability of the San Marcos. The Apollo was a favorite.

I ride the Selle SLR Ti (135 gr). I have sat in this saddle for over 6 hours on training rides with very little discomfort. Nothing a little out of the saddle pedaling could not take care of.

I agree with the last post. I have been riding Selle SLR Ti (135 gr) on centuries without a problem. I combine it with a USE Alien Aero for a total weight of 300g. Not quite as light as the Apollo but pretty close.

I ride the SLK, same saddle but with a split I believe. Very comfortable even on 5+ hour rides.