Carbon seat post-alum frame; lubricate?

rparedes

Jul 21, 2007
I've read several threads about preventing parts from "locking". I've always used anti-seize grease on pedals, shoe cleat bolts and also on my mountain bike steel seat post (steel frame). What is one supposed to use with a carbon seat post? (alum frame) or is this not a problem with carbon/alum interaction?... Just wondering...

i don't think it's needed on carbon seatpost in an aluminum frame.
my carbon seatpost has those words printed on it to not put any kind of grease or any lubrification to the seatpost

rparedes said:
I've read several threads about preventing parts from "locking". I've always used anti-seize grease on pedals, shoe cleat bolts and also on my mountain bike steel seat post (steel frame). What is one supposed to use with a carbon seat post? (alum frame) or is this not a problem with carbon/alum interaction?... Just wondering...
Chances are your seat post has instructions on this. I know my Bontrager did.

Carbon post need no lubrication. Only be careful with ruining your post by pinching it. Round the edge of the seat tube opening by sanding it smooth thill there's no sharp edge.

You can lube a CF seatpost if it needs to be lubed, like if it won't insert easily or it squeaks. Grease will do absolutely no damage to a CF seatpost.

The instructions that came with my Campagnolo seatposts all state:

Make sure that the inside of the seat tube is free of grease or oil.

I assumed these instructions were written by a scientist and completely ignored them. Both of my carbon seatposts are well greased with Texaco Havoline wheel bearing grease.

Unless you have a naked carbon seatpost or the inside of your seat tube is naked carbon, you need concern yourself with the grease attacking the clearcoat applied over the carbon...none of the many greases in my garage and shop will attack paint or clear cloat. Most of the polymer clear coats on the market are impervious to attack by lubricants.