Carbon Seat Posts

chris_gr

Sep 26, 2003
I am considering getting a Giant Aero Carbon seatpost for my Tri-Bike. Does anyone know if these really help smooth ride or aerodynamics? Also, is there a difference between round and aero carbon posts in terms of absorbing vibration?

Ahh, this was the topic of one of the 'classic' cyclingforums threads ... enjoy reading (click) ;)

IMO, if you want to upgrade something to benefit ride comfort, look at your tyre pressures, the tyres themselves, and your saddle. They are actually designed to deflect and absorb road shock. Carbon does look cool though

As for an aerodynamic advantage, I don't know; but I do recall reading an old TdF tech wrap-up where one of the Trek engineers wondered why Giant-ONCE persisted with aero seatposts when they did the sums themselves and realised they'd be faster without them. I can't find a link to where I read it though; it was probably on cyclingnews.com or some such place.

Also, don't forget that with the Giant aero seatposts, they don't have the range of adjustability as per standard posts.

the last time i was at my lbs a specialized rep happened to be there too. boy was he pushing their compact geometry and longer carbon seat posts like it was his job! ;-)

Originally posted by chris_gr
I am considering getting a Giant Aero Carbon seatpost for my Tri-Bike. Does anyone know if these really help smooth ride or aerodynamics? Also, is there a difference between round and aero carbon posts in terms of absorbing vibration?
LOL Save your money and drop the tire pressuer a few psi for 'ride comfort'.

No harm in asking.

Unfortunately, though, I don't think the data you're looking for exists -- you might be able to dig up a report on aero tubing versus round tubing, and there's lots of subjective data out there describing comparative dampening qualities of materials like carbon and aluminum, but as for how the Giant posts compare to what ever you've got now is anyone's guess.

Here's what I know.

They're nice looking, for one. I never replaced the one on my Giant TCR; it works fine (seatposts don't do much). Additionally, aero posts like the Giant and similar ones from BP Stealth and USE are of pretty substantial construction -- all of that shaping (at the expense of a few extra grams) makes them bulky but a flex-proof choice if you're a lanky rider on a compact frame, requiring a longer-than usual span of exposed seatpost. It's confidence inspiring at least.

As far as dampening is concerned... well, this is a heavily controversial subject. There's a tentative agreement out there that all else being equal, carbon tends to be a less buzzy substance than aluminum, but all else is never equal and the degree to which that characteristic exists is hard to quantify. A great carbon frame might blow the socks off of a average aluminum frame, but a less well-designed carbon frame might be hard to distinguish.

Same goes for componentry. Frankly, if you're interested in adding luxurious touches to your ride on the off-chance that if may offer a slight improvement somehow... but you don't necessarily need to be blown away by the changes... go for it, budget permitting. I'm assembling a new Klein Q-Pro with all kinds of bells and whistles because it's fun to build a fine-tuned rocket with high-tech parts; never mind that a Ritchey Logic frame with basic Salsa components might ride just as well.

There's nothing wrong with seeking out little edges, so long as they excite you. Just watch the budget.

USE aero Alien carbon is the best for $170 and 160grams. And full aero shape.

Originally posted by marlon1
USE aero Alien carbon is the best for $170 and 160grams. And full aero shape.
Dont like the clamp at all. Easton clamp is one bolt and is very easy at around 100 bucks or so.

Arrrrgh! The dreaded carbon seatpost thread! Will this fiend never die?

Got one on one of my bikes. Looks real neat, but darned if I can tell a difference in ride quality.

Originally posted by shokhead1
Dont like the clamp at all. Easton clamp is one bolt and is very easy at around 100 bucks or so.
The Alien is a weird clamp, no doubt. It's unorthodox and it takes getting used to -- but with a bit of practice, it works and works well. Tricky but highly adjustable.

Not sure how much the clamp design contributes to USE's low weight, but the standard (non-aero) posts are among the very lightest in their categories (carbon, aluminum, and ti, respectively). Maybe it's a tradeoff.

Though I suspect they designed the nutty clamp just to be cute...

Its a hard plastic,at least thats what it feels like.The problem is those tiny bolts. Botton line is seatpost,carbon that is are for looks,not better ride.

I use a look carbon seatpost .Great adjustments,light,looks cool but I don't think my a** can tell the difference in the ride quality but some peoples a**es may be more sensitive than mine.

Originally posted by jhuskey
I use a look carbon seatpost .Great adjustments,light,looks cool but I don't think my a** can tell the difference in the ride quality but some peoples a**es may be more sensitive than mine.
Perfectly well put!