carbon seatpost clamps

gr8outdoorz

Jul 24, 2009
I just upgraded to a carbon seatpost. Would it be better to add a carbon clamp or will the aluminium one I have be ok?
Thanks.

gr8outdoorz said:
I just upgraded to a carbon seatpost. Would it be better to add a carbon clamp or will the aluminium one I have be ok?
Well, I know Campagnolo has a seatpost clamp that has a non-radial slot which I suppose will have some effect on the way the clamping pressure is applied ... or, it could just be a style-thing!?!

But, my carbon fiber frame has an aluminum clamp (CF seatpost) with a radial slot...

And, I have installed CF posts in traditional steel frames which only have the seatpost binder bolt ...

So, presuming your seatpost is the right size for the seat tube in your frame, I'm going to say that it doesn't make any difference other than from a cosmetic point of view.

I could be wrong!

So, if you're worried about crushing your seatpost, then you should probably get a different seatpost clamp.

gr8outdoorz said:
Thanks.

The aluminum one is just fine.

gr8outdoorz said:
Thanks.

Stay with the aluminium one, mate :) I've been using it for 2 years and encountered no issues!

gr8outdoorz said:
Thanks.

Do two things(3 things). Keep the aluminum, turn it around 180 degrees so the bolt is OPPOSITE the slit in the seat tube and use carbon paste to install.

Carbon clamp is just dum, turning it around will keep the 'hole' as round as possible when tightening(rather than oval=cracks) and use paste to keep it from bonding into the tube.