Carbon Seatpost/handle Bars

jollydog

Jun 11, 2003
I AM 118LB, RIDE 100-120 MI/WK TO KEEP UP MY ENDORPHIN ADDICTION, BUT DO NOT RACE. MY BIKE IS MADE OF REYNOLDS 853 WITH CF FORK. WONDERING IF A CF SEAT POST AND OR CF HANDLE BARS WOULD MAKE MY RIDE "PLUSHIER" OR JUST MAKE MY BIKE LIGHTER. MY 45 Y/O BODY IS LOOKING FOR COMFORT, NOT SPEED. IS IT A WASTE OF MONEY? iF I WANT A PLUSHIER RIDE , DO I HAVE TO LOOK INTO ONE OF THOSE PRICEY CF OR TI FRAMES?

I would start with the tyres. (If you have 20mm's go to 23's if you have 23's go to 25's) and try running them with slightly less air pressure.

Originally posted by Cipher
I would start with the tyres. (If you have 20mm's go to 23's if you have 23's go to 25's) and try running them with slightly less air pressure.
Yeah, and if that does not work, a custom builder can build you a decent weight steel bike with tubeset suited to your size and weight for alot less than than 'pricey Ti or CF frames'.

Agree on the tires; at your weight, suggest you try 85-90 psi, or whatever the min pressure on the sidewall says (Mich Pro Race is 6 Bar min....87 psi).

Wheels could make a difference also. I you've got aero rims and high-tension, low-spoke count now, a switch to low profile rims, 28 or 32 spokes with light 15/17/15 gauge would probably smooth things out a lot. Also, consider a seat with some elastomer cushion and/or gel, eg, SelleItalia Prolink.

By any chance, are you riding a Fuji 853 frame? I test rode one of those last month, thought it was a harsh ride, stiffer than my current steel bike. If you're thinking new bike, suggest you try out the new Trek 2300....that's my idea of a plush ride. Good luck.

Dan

Originally posted by jollydog
I AM 118LB, RIDE 100-120 MI/WK TO KEEP UP MY ENDORPHIN ADDICTION, BUT DO NOT RACE. MY BIKE IS MADE OF REYNOLDS 853 WITH CF FORK. WONDERING IF A CF SEAT POST AND OR CF HANDLE BARS WOULD MAKE MY RIDE "PLUSHIER" OR JUST MAKE MY BIKE LIGHTER. MY 45 Y/O BODY IS LOOKING FOR COMFORT, NOT SPEED. IS IT A WASTE OF MONEY? iF I WANT A PLUSHIER RIDE , DO I HAVE TO LOOK INTO ONE OF THOSE PRICEY CF OR TI FRAMES?

I have a Deda Blackstick cf seatpost and have weighed up to 225 lb when riding on it. Because the downward force is mostly in-line with the seat post I rarely feel it flex. At 118 lb I doubt you would ever feel a difference between a cf or al seatpost. A cf bar probably wouldn't be worth it either, at least from the comfort stand point.

I used to ride a reynolds 853 which has been my trusty stead since 1985 and still runs fantastic. Its an old Trek 770 with campy super record. I now ride an EPX 303 SL which is a much cheaper cf frame and fork designed in Australia and built in the same factory in Tawain as the Kestrel Talons. The standard EPX 303 has been going on E-bay new with warranty for anywhere between 450-650 US fork and frame. Its a 3.1 lb frame fork combo. The SL retails for 1350 US and is a 2.6 lb frame fork combo.

The cf frame does make a big difference on road vibration transferred through to the handlebars, seat and BB. When I hit a rough road I can feel the wheels moving around beneath me, but the vibrations don't tranfer to your seat, handlebars or BB. I can keep peddaling at a fast pace where on my old 853 I would typically have to slow down in order to not be bounced off.

Hope that helps

Wheels could make a difference also. I you've got aero rims and high-tension, low-spoke count now, a switch to low profile rims, 28 or 32 spokes with light 15/17/15 gauge would probably smooth things out a lot. Also, consider a seat with some elastomer cushion and/or gel, eg, SelleItalia Prolink.

By any chance, are you riding a Fuji 853 frame? I test rode one of those last month, thought it was a harsh ride, stiffer than my current steel bike. If you're thinking new bike, suggest you try out the new Trek 2300....that's my idea of a plush ride. Good luck.

Dan [/QUOTE]
Dan,
I already have a nice Terry Butterfly saddle and a high spoke count wheel. I do have a Fuji 853. Will look into the Trek 2300.
thanks

I agree with all the assesments here -- that tire selection, PSI, wheel choice, saddle choice, even bar tape variety make a greater impact on ride comfort than the material your seatpost and handlebar are composed of.

Given that -- carbon fiber does often (not necessarily, but often) offer some minor advantage over aluminum, and remembering that (certainly where seatposts are concerned), carbon fiber is fast becoming pretty standard, you're not going out of your way to buy one.

Your average quality alloy post is bound to be close in price to your average quality carbon post.

Also look at tyre models themselves. I have found Vittoria Open Corsa CX 23mm tyres at 110psi to be much plusher and more comfortable than low-end Vittoria Tecno Sport TT 28mm (!!) tyres at 80psi.

But the Open Corsas are really expensive :( Does anyone know of any other tyre that provides such a nice ride?