carbon seatpost-handlebar-stem

grblade

Feb 3, 2006
I was thinking of changing my ritchey wcs aluminum seatpost-stem and handlebar with carbon ones.My thought is on Easton ec90 series and i think it would be a good combination on my GIANT TCR2 composite.I think Easton is one of the bigest manufacturers in carbon parts and their tecnology is top notch.Any thoughts or sugestions on the subject would be welcome.

grblade said:
I was thinking of changing my ritchey wcs aluminum seatpost-stem and handlebar with carbon ones.My thought is on Easton ec90 series and i think it would be a good combination on my GIANT TCR2 composite.I think Easton is one of the bigest manufacturers in carbon parts and their tecnology is top notch.Any thoughts or sugestions on the subject would be welcome.

If you think its worth the extra $$ , then do it and/or if you race.

IMO, the seatpost is a good idea... could help a bit in the shock absorption factor. Bars could be good.... but if you use a clip on aero bar, then you cannot use a Carbon handlebar :( Stem is probably the least benifical out of the three.

Hope this helps

I can't tell the difference in ride quality from a alum seatpost to a carbon one. You can ssave money just buying a lighter weight alum post. I DO like Eastons components, but i have always gotten the alum ones on sale for insane prices rather than waaaay overpriced carbon.

All that carbon would just be for looks. As I understand it, most of the peloton still ride alum stems and bars.

Adam-from-SLO i think you are right about the extra money but i didnt know that you cant fit tri bars on a carbon handlebars.If i decide to change them i will go for the hole pakage probably.Besides all it is the look of carbon that can give you some extra mph:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and boost the psicological point of the matter:) :)

Isnt it mister triguy98??

grblade said:
Adam-from-SLO i think you are right about the extra money but i didnt know that you cant fit tri bars on a carbon handlebars.If i decide to change them i will go for the hole pakage probably.Besides all it is the look of carbon that can give you some extra mph:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and boost the psicological point of the matter:) :)

Isnt it mister triguy98??
Easton's AeroForce clip ons and EC90 bars are designed to work together. The seatpost and stem won't have any impact on ride quality.

I think the comfort factor on a carbon seatpost/stem/handlebar combination is over-hyped (IMHO, of course).

They look great, tend to be lighter, and are all the rage. But getting the best seat for your behind and making sure you have a good position on your bike will do wonders for comfort. Along with ensuring that your frame is not too harsh...

But having said that, I also salivate for carbon bits and pieces, just cannot justify the cost for the time being... :(

grblade said:
I have one bike that has the EC90 Equipe bars, the EC90 post, and I opted to go with the Al EA70 stem (the weight savings in the carbon stem was tiny, and, I'm not sold on CF parts that have metal inserts). I am very happy with the Easton stuff. I called them with some tech questions and they were very helpful, and, their web site is pretty good with FAQ and tips, etc. I went with Easton because they are a major player in the CF market and if there were problems they would become well known in a short time. I recommend them with no reservations. Plus, these components are very common on Ebay. Great bargains if you look around.

I also have a Giant (an NRS Composite 2) and I have upgraded to some carbon components since this is my first full suspension bike and I wanted it to be very light. Plus, my frame is carbon, so it looks great adding more carbon components. Although I considered the Easton EC90 handlebar, I felt more comfortable with the EC70 since it would most likely take more of a beating, I can still use bar ends (I bought the Control Tech Carbon Stubbys) and the weight difference between the 2 are probably not negligible. I had the same feeling for the seatpost, which is a Thomson and it is light and super strong. I have read some reviews on carbon posts that scared me. And, I went with the EA70 Stem which is aluminum, but only 135 grams and very strong!

Those are my thoughts. Good luck!