Carbon seatpost in OCLV frames

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Terje Tho, Jun 9, 2003.

  1. Terje Tho

    Terje Tho Guest

    Would you consider it safe to put a USE 1 Carbon Alien seat post in a 2003 OCLV 120 (5500) frame? I
    have picked up somewhere that this might not be the best idea.

    Thanks, Terje

    Tags:

  2. On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 12:00:03 +0200, "Terje Tho" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Would you consider it safe to put a USE 1 Carbon Alien seat post in a 2003 OCLV 120 (5500) frame?

    Go for it.

    Just don't grease a carbon post in a carbon frame.

    Barry

  3. B a r r y B u r k e J r . <n/[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 12:00:03 +0200, "Terje Tho" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Would you consider it safe to put a USE 1 Carbon Alien seat post in a 2003 OCLV 120 (5500) frame?
    >
    > Go for it.
    >
    > Just don't grease a carbon post in a carbon frame.

    Or, indeed *any* frame :-(

    David E. Belcher (carbon post - greased - stuck in Columbus SLX road frame)

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  4. On 9 Jun 2003, David E. Belcher wrote:
    > B a r r y B u r k e J r . <n/[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Just don't grease a carbon post in a carbon frame.
    > David E. Belcher (carbon post - greased - stuck in Columbus SLX road frame) Dept. of Chemistry,
    > University of York

    Then, Carbon Addicts!, why don't you solve this problem by intentionally getting stems and/or posts
    of a diameter just a tad smaller than needed, and by making them fit by adding suitable, well
    greased, 'plastic' shims? The same prewventive measures could be taken against rusting steel and
    against 'freezing' aluminum-rich components.

    Sergio Pisa

  5. On 9 Jun 2003 07:00:33 -0700, [email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote:

    >B a r r y B u r k e J r . <n/[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 12:00:03 +0200, "Terje Tho" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Would you consider it safe to put a USE 1 Carbon Alien seat post in a 2003 OCLV 120 (5500)
    >> >frame?
    >>
    >> Go for it.
    >>
    >> Just don't grease a carbon post in a carbon frame.
    >>

    >Or, indeed *any* frame :-(

    Or any post in a carbon frame. <G>

    Barry

  6. > Would you consider it safe to put a USE 1 Carbon Alien seat post in a 2003 OCLV 120 (5500) frame?
    > I have picked up somewhere that this might not be
    the
    > best idea.

    I have a Weyless carbon post in my 5200, and haven't had a problem. A very tight fit though.

  7. Paul

    Paul Guest

    why don't you grease it? Would you grease it for a Ti frame?

    "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <n/[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 12:00:03 +0200, "Terje Tho" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Would you consider it safe to put a USE 1 Carbon Alien seat post in a
    2003
    > >OCLV 120 (5500) frame?
    >
    > Go for it.
    >
    > Just don't grease a carbon post in a carbon frame.
    >
    > Barry

  8. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    > paul-<< why don't you grease it? Would you grease it for a Ti frame?
    >
    > It will slip, and yes grease for a ti frameset.

    I don't understand this. Why would it slip?

    Also, why grease at all? As I understand from Jobst's comments, grease is the cause of frozen stems
    and seatposts due to it's tendency to form grease/water emulsions, thereby capturing the water (near
    the aluminum) so it'll be more likely to corrode.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]