Carbon seatpost in OCLV frames

Terje Tho

Guest
Would you consider it safe to put a USE 1 Carbon Alien seat post in a 2003 OCLV 120 (5500) frame? I
have picked up somewhere that this might not be the best idea.

Thanks, Terje

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 12:00:03 +0200, "Terje Tho" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Would you consider it safe to put a USE 1 Carbon Alien seat post in a 2003 OCLV 120 (5500) frame?

Go for it.

Just don't grease a carbon post in a carbon frame.

Barry

B a r r y B u r k e J r . <n/a@> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 12:00:03 +0200, "Terje Tho" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Would you consider it safe to put a USE 1 Carbon Alien seat post in a 2003 OCLV 120 (5500) frame?
>
> Go for it.
>
> Just don't grease a carbon post in a carbon frame.

Or, indeed *any* frame :-(

David E. Belcher (carbon post - greased - stuck in Columbus SLX road frame)

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

On 9 Jun 2003, David E. Belcher wrote:
> B a r r y B u r k e J r . <n/a@> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Just don't grease a carbon post in a carbon frame.
> David E. Belcher (carbon post - greased - stuck in Columbus SLX road frame) Dept. of Chemistry,
> University of York

Then, Carbon Addicts!, why don't you solve this problem by intentionally getting stems and/or posts
of a diameter just a tad smaller than needed, and by making them fit by adding suitable, well
greased, 'plastic' shims? The same prewventive measures could be taken against rusting steel and
against 'freezing' aluminum-rich components.

Sergio Pisa

On 9 Jun 2003 07:00:33 -0700, [email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote:

>B a r r y B u r k e J r . <n/a@> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 12:00:03 +0200, "Terje Tho" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Would you consider it safe to put a USE 1 Carbon Alien seat post in a 2003 OCLV 120 (5500)
>> >frame?
>>
>> Go for it.
>>
>> Just don't grease a carbon post in a carbon frame.
>>

>Or, indeed *any* frame :-(

Or any post in a carbon frame. <G>

Barry

> Would you consider it safe to put a USE 1 Carbon Alien seat post in a 2003 OCLV 120 (5500) frame?
> I have picked up somewhere that this might not be
the
> best idea.

I have a Weyless carbon post in my 5200, and haven't had a problem. A very tight fit though.

why don't you grease it? Would you grease it for a Ti frame?

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <n/a@> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 12:00:03 +0200, "Terje Tho" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Would you consider it safe to put a USE 1 Carbon Alien seat post in a
2003
> >OCLV 120 (5500) frame?
>
> Go for it.
>
> Just don't grease a carbon post in a carbon frame.
>
> Barry

> paul-<< why don't you grease it? Would you grease it for a Ti frame?
>
> It will slip, and yes grease for a ti frameset.

I don't understand this. Why would it slip?

Also, why grease at all? As I understand from Jobst's comments, grease is the cause of frozen stems
and seatposts due to it's tendency to form grease/water emulsions, thereby capturing the water (near
the aluminum) so it'll be more likely to corrode.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]