Carbon Seatpost -- Will it make a difference?

Aztec

Jul 8, 2003
I ride an aluminum-um-um-um frayayayayayaame and it definitely wears me down a bit. Ok, so it's not THAT bad (Colnago Dream Plus). I have the titanium Campy Chorus seatpost and am wondering if a carbon post would make any difference at all in body fatigue factor.

Originally posted by Aztec
I ride an aluminum-um-um-um frayayayayayaame and it definitely wears me down a bit. Ok, so it's not THAT bad (Colnago Dream Plus). I have the titanium Campy Chorus seatpost and am wondering if a carbon post would make any difference at all in body fatigue factor.

I recently met and chatted with a serious touring couple at a coffee bar. They were from Shawnee Ok. touring through eastern Canada. They operate a bike shop in Shawnee. They rode top of the line Cannondale tour bikes(one stiff ride) I noticed they had very good quality carbon seat posts...."Best investment we ever made" they said, " takes all the edge of the roads, the littel vibrations that wear you out!"
Myself, I ride all carbon...Guru from Montreal, so I cannot isolate the seatpost alone. Bikeface

Thank-you for that post. Did not realize that a seat post could make such a big difference. Shall look into it......

Memph

Well I've owned my carbon seatpost for a while now & am loving it. I honestly didn't think it would make a difference to my stiff aluminium bike - but I rode with it & would not go back now. The only problems are the cost (ouch) & the possibility of early fatigue & or cracking. Used to work in a shop & I have seen a few crack. I myself have done some major miles on mine without a problem - but I'm a skinny *******! Lesson probably is buy a quality seatpost - or go on a diet......

I had a Dura-Ace aluminum post and when the clamp broke, I replaced it with an ITM carbon post. NO NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE AT ALL. I think people are either smoking crack or they just think that there is a difference, but I bet you that if you did a blind test and painted a carbon post the same color as an aluminum post that a person would not be able to tell which is which.

Pretty well gotta agree with BaCardi ....... just updated a few bits and added an Easton c/fibre post ....... maybe a little less high frequency vibe on coarse gravel surfaced bitumen but, really, pretty subjective. Not at all convinced, but looks fast and if that makes you feel good you often go quicker ?

Originally posted by BaCardi
I had a Dura-Ace aluminum post and when the clamp broke, I replaced it with an ITM carbon post. NO NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE AT ALL. I think people are either smoking crack or they just think that there is a difference, but I bet you that if you did a blind test and painted a carbon post the same color as an aluminum post that a person would not be able to tell which is which.

Well I haven't been done at any anti-doping tests yet, so I guess I haven't been smoking crack......

I do however, think there is a difference & am very happy with my carbon post. It could be the **** roads I ride (cobbles, farm roads etc) that makes me notice the difference more than others. I admit that on good surfaces, there is no difference - but for big miles & **** roads I will not go back.

Also my 2 cents on brands - stay away from cheap Taiwanese rip offs, they are the only ones I've seen crack. If you do decide to go to the expense of a carbon seatpost, I'd stick to name brands like Time etc.

Originally posted by borntoride
Well I haven't been done at any anti-doping tests yet, so I guess I haven't been smoking crack......

I do however, think there is a difference & am very happy with my carbon post. It could be the **** roads I ride (cobbles, farm roads etc) that makes me notice the difference more than others. I admit that on good surfaces, there is no difference - but for big miles & **** roads I will not go back.

Also my 2 cents on brands - stay away from cheap Taiwanese rip offs, they are the only ones I've seen crack. If you do decide to go to the expense of a carbon seatpost, I'd stick to name brands like Time etc.

Once you quit smoking crack you'll be able to see that there is no discernable difference that the posterior dexterior of the human buttus can feel.

Once you quit smoking crack you'll be able to see that there is no discernable difference that the posterior dexterior of the human buttus can feel.

Maybe it has more to do with the comparative vibration dampening characterstics of a persons butt...

I think I saw it listed in an ICU tech faq as Vbutt2

Right after descriptions of Heart index and Oxygen uptake values...

:p

Feanor :)

Originally posted by Feanor
Maybe it has more to do with the comparative vibration dampening characterstics of a persons butt...

I think I saw it listed in an ICU tech faq as Vbutt2

Right after descriptions of Heart index and Oxygen uptake values...

:p

That's a good theory! :D

That's a good theory! :D

Yes :)

I think it might be very useful to wander around abit with the females before a ride and inform them that you are testing their Vbutt2 index by spanking them on the butt, should work well right up till the time the ladies decide to measure my "Vface3" (vibration damping characteristics of the face) using the same basic hand motion.

Could be potentially confusing for sports medicine and physical therapy types "So you're a cyclist? Have you been having trouble with your knees? saddlesore? back or wrist pain?"

"None of those things, but come to think of it, my face has been stinging lately..."

Originally posted by Aztec

Actually, on a much more serious note... wouldn't an important variable in the measure be how much of the seatpost was above the clamp?

I would think that a racer who had 8 inches of seatpost showing on their ride would experience much different vibration dampening characteristics than say, a recreational rider, using the same seatpost, who only had 3 inches of seatpost showing?

Just a thought...

Feanor

Originally posted by Feanor
Actually, on a much more serious note... wouldn't an important variable in the measure be how much of the seatpost was above the clamp?

I would think that a racer who had 8 inches of seatpost showing on their ride would experience much different vibration dampening characteristics than say, a recreational rider, using the same seatpost, who only had 3 inches of seatpost showing?

Just a thought...

Feanor

People make a big deal about seatposts, but the vibration dampening in a post is highly OVERRATED! I've tried them all. Where you will notice a difference is in different saddles, not in seatpost material or length or anything seatpost related.

Hey Feanor, maybe you should run the 'is 8" better than 3" ' test past the girls so we can really resolve this thing ? Might be that it's the length of insertion that makes the difference ...... now there's a challenge for you ! When any and all girls you try that on are finished beating the **** out of you, maybe BaCardi can test the theory that vibration is overrated ?

Is this discussion taking carbon forks and seatstays into account? I imagine a major difference would be felt going to a carbon stem if you only have aluminum forks/seatstays.

I do think the Vbutt2 and Vface3 hypothesis sounds great ;)

Originally posted by old&slow
Hey Feanor, maybe you should run the 'is 8" better than 3" ' test past the girls so we can really resolve this thing ? Might be that it's the length of insertion that makes the difference ...... now there's a challenge for you ! When any and all girls you try that on are finished beating the **** out of you, maybe BaCardi can test the theory that vibration is overrated ?

Imagine lying on the ground with your legs spread open and up in the air. Now, imagine someone taking a carbon fiber golf shaft and taking a big swing backwards and then BOOM! Now, imagine someone taking an aluminum golf shaft and doing the same thing. Bet you can't tell a difference between which one was carbon and which was aluminum.

It seems to me that carbon seat posts might make a much bigger difference on compact frames than on traditional. Most compact frame setups have a lot more seat post exposed, so there would be more opportunity for damping.

Perhaps that's one reason for the divergence of opinion on the subject. Those riding traditional frames don't feel much difference, while those on compact frames do.

Stephen

Originally posted by sathomasga
It seems to me that carbon seat posts might make a much bigger difference on compact frames than on traditional. Most compact frame setups have a lot more seat post exposed, so there would be more opportunity for damping.

Perhaps that's one reason for the divergence of opinion on the subject. Those riding traditional frames don't feel much difference, while those on compact frames do.

Stephen

Yeah, well contrary to popular belief that would make no difference at all. A 250mm carbon seatpost is still a 250mm carbon seatpost regardless of how much post is in or out of a tube.