Carbon Seatposts

RossB

Aug 20, 2003
Is it worth replacing the seatpost on my Trek with a carbon fibre one to smooth out some of the road vibrations? Any recommendations?

Originally posted by RossB
Is it worth replacing the seatpost on my Trek with a carbon fibre one to smooth out some of the road vibrations? Any recommendations?

Put a 25c tire on your rear wheel and do not inflate over 120psi... I also switched from Michelin's to Conti Gran Prix 3000's. These changes made the biggest difference for me on Michigan's rough roads...

I've read this a billion times, but do not find it in my experience.

Switched from a Lemond Zurich steel bike to a Giant composite with easton 90 carbon seatpost and notice no difference in comfort.

I think it must be a placebo effect for some people?

If your seatpost breaks or needs replacing for some reason, then by all means go for a nice looking carbon post, but "upgrading" in search of comfort is not a worthy investment IMO.

Today I replaced the stock Bontrager alloy seatpost with a Deda carbon seatpost, and I think you are right. There was a difference, but it was very minor. Perhaps a 1-2% increase on comfort, much less than I expected.

Carbon posts are light and SEXY. If you don't mind spending the bux for the look then cool. But don't expect more comfort for the extra money. A good aluminum post like Thomson will do just as well and cost less. But those carbon posts really look soooo sexy!