carbon soles

antone

Nov 14, 2003
Looking to buy new shoes. Gonna spend some bucks. Any thougts on Sidi 5 or something better? Ride an '03 kestrel talon. Thx.

It really depends on your foot. I have a little bit wider foot, so was unable to ride the Sidi's, though I've heard good things about them. I've also heard good things about the Nike's and I've got a pair of Shimano's I love.

S. Thomas said:
It really depends on your foot. I have a little bit wider foot, so was unable to ride the Sidi's, though I've heard good things about them. I've also heard good things about the Nike's and I've got a pair of Shimano's I love.
Thanks for THE response... shoes aren't THAT important. I have more of a C width and guess I will go w/ the $289 genius 5 from WCP. I have a pair of Shimano's but they are mesh uppers and damn cold. I bought covers that help some but its a great chance to get a new pair (my 2nd pair) of shoes. Really thanks for your input.

For what it's worth, I wear Genius and have been really happy with them...

Just one thing, they do have pretty good ventilation, which is great for me because I live in SoCal...but this could be a problem for you...

Oh, actually, there's a second thing...the instep is a little high for me..they always irritated a bit on 30-40 mile rides but I did my first century a couple of weeks ago and that irritation turned out to be pretty torturous after the first 60 miles so I need to get some kind of instep padding for them...which I've been told is readily available from lots of places...in retrospect the part that hurt the most on my whole body was the soles of my feet...;-(

But if you find a pair that fits right I'd highly recommend them...hope this helps...

antone said:
Thanks for THE response... shoes aren't THAT important. I have more of a C width and guess I will go w/ the $289 genius 5 from WCP. I have a pair of Shimano's but they are mesh uppers and damn cold. I bought covers that help some but its a great chance to get a new pair (my 2nd pair) of shoes. Really thanks for your input.

Jag, thats what I needed! I really hate to buy mail order and you confirmed it for me. Not many bike shops here and neither, (of the two), have much shoe inventory. Definately no Supergo. So I'll make the trip to Greenville or Raliegh and try a bunch on. Thanks!

You're welcome...

I bought mine at Supergo, but you're right, they don't have many sizes available, luckily they had mine...I can't remember how much I shelled out for them now....

I looked at my Genius last night after posting and they do have a lot of ventilation holes, just to confirm, so you will still need covers or maybe just put some electrical tape over the holes?

antone said:
Jag, thats what I needed! I really hate to buy mail order and you confirmed it for me. Not many bike shops here and neither, (of the two), have much shoe inventory. Definately no Supergo. So I'll make the trip to Greenville or Raliegh and try a bunch on. Thanks!