Carbon Stays and Panniers?

keydates

Mar 9, 2004
As the title suggests, I am wondering if it is possible to put panniers on a bike that has carbon stays. I had the idea of doing a little touring (around a week) with my bike (Giant OCR Elite...2004 I think), but I'm not sure if I will actually be able to do so due to the carbon rear trangle. All I remember is that it was good for "light touring" and entry level-racing. Would I risk damaging my stays if I put panniers on? If not, what kind of panniers should I get? Thanks in response.

keydates said:
As the title suggests, I am wondering if it is possible to put panniers on a bike that has carbon stays. I had the idea of doing a little touring (around a week) with my bike (Giant OCR Elite...2004 I think), but I'm not sure if I will actually be able to do so due to the carbon rear trangle. All I remember is that it was good for "light touring" and entry level-racing. Would I risk damaging my stays if I put panniers on? If not, what kind of panniers should I get? Thanks in response.
The big chance is, you do not have holes to fix your panniers on. the OCR with aluminium stays have these holes on the seat stays and dropouts. The carbon ones I don't think have them. There are models which clip onto the seat tube for 'light' touring, but I am not sure if you are going to have luck. No offence meant, but generally if you have touring in mind, you buy a non-carbon touring bike. Carbon and touring don't mix, currently anyway.....

When I bought the bike it wasn't really with bike touring in mind...my idea was more to upgrade from an old mountain bike and possibly race. Nonetheless, if panniers won't work on carbon, then I guess they won't work.

Powerful Pete said:
If you are willing to travel light enough (around 5kgs of stuff), you could also consider a seat post fixed rack, something like this one:

http://www.topeak.com/2006/products/racks/rxbeamrack.php
Mainly something for the credit card touring crowd...
Yeah, I have one. I saw a guy using one on our trip down the CA coast earlier. I'd suggest it as a worst-case scenario (weight is high, puts a lot of stress on the seatpost, and tends to not stay put in my experience) if you really can't get a normal pannier on there... which you probably can't with CF if you don't have eyelets by the dropouts at least.