Carbon Steerer on Fork

HammerHead

Jun 10, 2003
Do you have to use one of those compressor type stem caps on a fork with a carbon steer tube? I ask because my old frameset, which had a carbon fork with a carbon steerer, used one of those star nut assemblies. I now have a different frameset, and this one came with one of those compressor types. I assumed that the compressor part was to keep the stem from crushing the carbon steerer, but my old frame just had a regular old star nut. Anyone know anything about this?

Always use a compressor type bung with a carbon steerer and make sure they supply a bung that supports the top of the steerer, internally. My bike manufacturer supplied me with a bung that did not support the steerer and the stem crushed the carbon steerer even at a very low torque. Get advice !!

Fradbut said:
Always use a compressor type bung with a carbon steerer and make sure they supply a bung that supports the top of the steerer, internally. My bike manufacturer supplied me with a bung that did not support the steerer and the stem crushed the carbon steerer even at a very low torque. Get advice !!
There are compression plugs that have different depths. Various stems have different heights and some folks run spacers above the steerer. You want to make sure that the compression plug is set to a depth that reinforces the area inside the clamp. FSA makes a nice one as does Reynolds (a bit of an anchor though..). Plus, be mindful of inside diameter of the steerer tube as well as the outside diameter. I have had a 1 1/8 inch fork, but have a compression plug (for a 1 1/18th steerer) that won't fit. Set properly a compression plug will offer years of trouble free service. Set improperly and it's an expensive trip to the shop...
:eek: