carbon steerer

gillymon

Guest
Hi, I just installed a New Easton ec90 fork on my bike. I noticed
during sizing and installation that when taking the stem ( ritchey WCS
axis) on and off that due to the tight tolerance it was leaving those
zig-zag type marks on the steerer tube. I did not twist it on until
the very end to straighten and align with front wheel. All the
different fork manufacturer site say any scratches will cause fork
failure. Due to the tight tolerance, I don't see how you can avoid any
marks on the steerer. Have I compromised my forks strength or are the
manufacturers just covering themselves. Any help or advice is
appreciated.

gillymon wrote:
> Hi, I just installed a New Easton ec90 fork on my bike. I noticed
> during sizing and installation that when taking the stem ( ritchey WCS
> axis) on and off that due to the tight tolerance it was leaving those
> zig-zag type marks on the steerer tube. I did not twist it on until
> the very end to straighten and align with front wheel. All the
> different fork manufacturer site say any scratches will cause fork
> failure. Due to the tight tolerance, I don't see how you can avoid any
> marks on the steerer. Have I compromised my forks strength or are the
> manufacturers just covering themselves. Any help or advice is
> appreciated.

it's just the clear coat. not a problem.

On Jul 11, 5:45 am, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> gillymon wrote:
> > Hi, I just installed a New Easton ec90 fork on my bike. I noticed
> > during sizing and installation that when taking the stem ( ritchey WCS
> > axis) on and off that due to the tight tolerance it was leaving those
> > zig-zag type marks on the steerer tube. I did not twist it on until
> > the very end to straighten and align with front wheel. All the
> > different fork manufacturer site say any scratches will cause fork
> > failure. Due to the tight tolerance, I don't see how you can avoid any
> > marks on the steerer. Have I compromised my forks strength or are the
> > manufacturers just covering themselves. Any help or advice is
> > appreciated.

> it's just the clear coat. not a problem.

I thought that might be the case since it just looked like a coating
layer but since it was my first carbon steerer I wasn't sure. Your
answer is reassuring. thanks

gillymon <[email protected]> wrote:

> I thought that might be the case since it just looked like a coating
> layer but since it was my first carbon steerer I wasn't sure. Your
> answer is reassuring. thanks

In any case, it's still a good idea to check that the inside of your
stem doesn't have any sharp edges. If there are any, file them down.

Antti

On Jul 11, 9:48 am, Antti Salonen <[email protected]>
wrote:
> gillymon <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I thought that might be the case since it just looked like a coating
> > layer but since it was my first carbon steerer I wasn't sure. Your
> > answer is reassuring. thanks

> In any case, it's still a good idea to check that the inside of your
> stem doesn't have any sharp edges. If there are any, file them down.
>
> Antti

good idea, it didn't cross my mind. Thanks

gillymon wrote:
> On Jul 11, 9:48 am, Antti Salonen <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> gillymon <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I thought that might be the case since it just looked like a coating
>>> layer but since it was my first carbon steerer I wasn't sure. Your
>>> answer is reassuring. thanks

>> In any case, it's still a good idea to check that the inside of your
>> stem doesn't have any sharp edges. If there are any, file them down.
>>
>> Antti

> good idea, it didn't cross my mind.

You gotta be kidding.....

Lou