Carbon Stem problems - Help!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jpc763, Jun 21, 2004.

1. jpc763

jpc763 New Member

I received a new integrated bar/stem combo that I installed on my bike. The stem screws are titanium, and I believe that they thread into an aluminum sleve in the carbon. Well I used a new torque wrench and *probably* (but not sure) over tightened one of the screws.

Well it stripped!!!!

Does anybody know what can be done about this?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

John

Tags:

2. Brooks

Brooks New Member

Drill it out. I dont know of anything else you ca do.

3. jpc763

jpc763 New Member

Update - I had the treads drilled out and installed helicoils. Works perfectly.

4. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Sheesh; good gracious. I can't imagine what it felt like to have suspected you ruined a pair of $500 handlebars. Sick stomach, maybe?

Very glad you worked it out. Good luck with them.

5. fushman

fushman New Member

ya helicoils are the perfect fix duh

6. jpc763

jpc763 New Member

You know when you ride a rollercoaster and at speed it drops out from under you? Well consider that feeling for 2 days!

7. lokstah

lokstah New Member

That's what I suspected! I know the feeling... :eek:

8. BIANCHI_EURO

BIANCHI_EURO New Member

Hi,

First of all, I am really happy for you you succeeded solving the problem. However I do have a few questions. First of all, being a foreigner, I do not understand a few things. What is a "helicoil"??
    I know a helix. I know a coil. But what is a helicoil?, what is it used for and where can I get one? (It's not even in my dictionary (haha!)).

Than the problem. Being a higher technician maybe a little background info could be interesting. As I understand correctly the thread of a metal plug in the CF came off?

Unfortunately there's a tendancy in cycling equipment to go more and more to aluminium bolts. As we all know alu is a soft metal and the thread gets "kaput" very easilly.

I don't understand why you don't know if you assembled with the correct torque?!? You did use the correct torque wrench after all, right?

The three solutions I would think of are:
    1. Go back to the store are show your torque wrench and claim you did nothing wrong. (Actually this would be solution 2,3,4 and five too).

2. Drill out the metal plug and glue in a new one (you can buy one in a well equiped tools shop) using epoxy resin. (there are small sets in almost every handy market). In order to prevent the resin from entering the opening at the end of the plug use a bit of hand cream on the tread and turn in the bolt.

3. A real technician would do the following. Drill a slightly bigger hole and use a tap set in order to create new thread in the metal. Use a bigger bolt in the new thread if possible in this case.

Maybe the best advise of all. Don't buy stuff this expensive at all.

Regards, Frank.

9. fushman

fushman New Member

a helicoil is a coil literally that you can drill out the original hole and insert it to keep the orignal bolt with the same thread they are used in aero space a lot cause lite weight materials dont have the strongest threads. the advantage of the helicoil is its stronger than the material its in and you dont have to go to a bigger thread size

10. BIANCHI_EURO

BIANCHI_EURO New Member

Aha!

Now we're getting somewhere... Clever guys all those Americans! I wonder why they came up with this stupid president...

Yep, aerospace. Unfortunately we don't have stuff like that overhere (any more). I am just a certified shipping engineer. Is it possible to buy a helicoil in an ordinary tools shop or where else can I get one?

Good thing to know. Very interesting. Thanks a lot!

Regards, Frank.

11. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Why didn't you tell him to do a google search,like some anal jerk was about to do. :D

12. Claes

Claes New Member

Actually with Helicoil, you use an slightly oversized drill, something like half a mm bigger than the thread is supposed to be. Then you use a special threader that creates a new thread, with the threads threaded backwards, then you thread the coil into that. Then your normal bolt works again.

An anal friend of mine, treated all his plastics on his motorbike like this.
    For example, in the rear light, the thread was plastic.

I first got to hear about this helicoil with a similar incident, a thread in the clutch of my motorbike went. I know the sinking feeling quite well. :)

13. fushman

fushman New Member

actually youre also anal and no one said otherwise, the final thread size can be the same as the original or bigger too of course, duh

14. Claes

Claes New Member

Fushman, what are you on about? Arrogant net nerd it seems like.
    Where did I state that you do not get the same size bolt as before? Grow up, or loose some attitude.

Why is that people with this arrogant piss attitude are so common on forums? Are they like this in real life as well? I would assume they end up in lots of fights. I just do not get it.

15. fushman

fushman New Member

i was simply responding to your arrogance, i already told the answer, and i got no beef if you add more details, but why add the actually, like youre correcting me

why do people always try to understand other people on forums its lame

16. Claes

Claes New Member

Arrogance? Where the fekk did you find arrogance in that?
    I did think that there was some added detail in it regarding the procedure.
    So, chill dude, no one is pissing on your parade, just trying to help. I am not a native english speaker as you can probably tell from my nick, so you might read something into it that I do not simply understand. So, again relax, no one is trying anything.

17. angrydave

angrydave New Member

I always love it when some foreign snob tells ME to relax. It really gets me going...

18. Claes

Claes New Member

What am I foreign to? Snob? Are you part of the majority of Yanks that do NOT have a passport by any chance?

19. angrydave

angrydave New Member

Actually I do. A diplomatic one to be precise.

20. Claes

Claes New Member

Diplomat? And still so narrowminded? Pretty amazing.