Carbon Track Fork Recommendation

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Skyali, Mar 26, 2003.

  1. Skyali

    Skyali Guest

    I would like to upgrade my nine year old custom sprint track bike (steel) with a carbon track
    fork...straight blade. Can anyone recommend a carbon fork that is track specific? What range of rake
    is recommended? Is it possible to convert to threadless, and is there a preference to either 1 inch
    vs 1 1/8 inch? I'm guessing mine is an inch. I've looked on web sites, and every fork is made for
    the rode.... with a drilled brake hole.

    Thanks for any information, Ali

    Tags:

  2. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    On 26 Mar 2003 11:52:59 -0800, [email protected] (SkyAli) wrote:

    >I would like to upgrade my nine year old custom sprint track bike (steel) with a carbon track
    >fork...straight blade.

    The perfunctory first requirement for any rbt reply is to cross-examine your motives for the change.
    So let's get this out of the way first: is there a problem with the existing fork that you're trying
    to cure, or is this only an exercise in styling?

    >Can anyone recommend a carbon fork that is track specific?

    Apart from replacement forks for Corima's Cougar frame or for the BT track frame from Australia
    (neither of which will be inexpensive), you will find few options for a carbon fork designed
    specifically for track use. A recent poster in another thread concerning track forks mentioned the
    oft-rumored Reynolds track fork, but to my knowledge the Reynolds model does not yet exist.

    >What range of rake is recommended?

    There is no absolute standard, of course, but dedicated sprint frames in steel will typically have
    offsets in the range of 28 to 35mm. You should measure the fork you have and try to find a
    replacement that is as close as possible to it not only with regard to offset, but also effective
    blade length (fork crown race seat to axle). Even if you find a fork with an appropriate offset,
    it's the effective blade length of your steel fork that may be the hardest to replicate with a
    carbon fork. Most carbon forks have a more massive crown than a classic steel track model and will
    therefore be more likely to have a longer effective blade length.

    >Is it possible to convert to threadless, and is there a preference to either 1 inch vs 1 1/8 inch?
    >I'm guessing mine is an inch.

    A steel track frame of the vintage you mention is almost certainly for a 1" steerer, but if you find
    a fork that meets your other needs, you can go to a threadless design with a simple change in
    headset and stem.

    >I've looked on web sites, and every fork is made for the rode.... with a drilled brake hole.

    Don't think of the brake hole as a disqualifying feature. With luck, the empty hole will whistle as
    your speed goes over 50kph and impress anybody within earshot of how fast you're going.

    -------------------------------
    http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida 305-273-4440 Now in our
    twentieth year. Our catalog of track equipment: seventh year online
    -------------------------------

  3. On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:52:59 -0500, SkyAli wrote:

    > I would like to upgrade my nine year old custom sprint track bike (steel) with a carbon track
    > fork...straight blade.

    Straight blade or curved makes no difference.

    > Can anyone recommend a carbon fork that is track specific? What range of rake is
    recommended?

    I would recommend matching the fork you have, unless you want to change the handling.

    > Is it possible to convert to threadless,

    Yeah, but no reason to

    > and is there a preference to either 1 inch vs 1 1/8 inch?

    If I were you, I would prefer what fits your frame.

    I'm guessing mine is an inch. I've looked
    > on web sites, and every fork is made for the rode.... with a drilled brake hole.

    The hole will not slow you down.

    But track gear tends to be designed for strength, not light weight. Are you sure you want to do
    this? Especially on a sprint bike, it would be good to keep a margin of safety.

    I imagine there are carbon track forks, but I haven't seen any.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | There is always an easy solution to every human problem - neat, _`\(,_ | plausible, and
    wrong. --H.L. Mencken (_)/ (_) |

  4. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    A lot of track forks have the hole for the road, because some people like riding fixed gear bikes during winter, but also like to have brakes.

    Unless you have too much cash, I'd question why you want a carbon fork. One smash and there goes a couple of hundred bucks. Unless it's a matter of winning races, is it really worth it?

  5. [email protected] (SkyAli) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I would like to upgrade my nine year old custom sprint track bike (steel) with a carbon track
    > fork...straight blade. Can anyone recommend a carbon fork that is track specific?

    Trackcycling.co.uk as some made under the name "4ZA". I'd give you more of an opinion on mine, but
    it's just a fork!

  6. www.pavebikes.com

    In australia - sells a carbon track fork with strong steel steerer (haven't got mine yet). They
    aren't any lighter that a steel one, but are probably stiffer (I hope). Less rake.

    Cheers

    Gemm

    "SkyAli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would like to upgrade my nine year old custom sprint track bike (steel) with a carbon track
    > fork...straight blade. Can anyone recommend a carbon fork that is track specific? What range of
    > rake is recommended? Is it possible to convert to threadless, and is there a preference to either
    > 1 inch vs 1 1/8 inch? I'm guessing mine is an inch. I've looked on web sites, and every fork is
    > made for the rode.... with a drilled brake hole.
    >
    > Thanks for any information, Ali

  7. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "SkyAli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would like to upgrade my nine year old custom sprint track bike (steel) with a carbon track
    > fork...straight blade. Can anyone recommend a carbon fork that is track specific? What range of
    > rake is recommended? Is it possible to convert to threadless, and is there a preference to either
    > 1 inch vs 1 1/8 inch? I'm guessing mine is an inch. I've looked on web sites, and every fork is
    > made for the rode.... with a drilled brake hole.
    >
    > Thanks for any information, Ali

    I like my Ouzo Pro, but it ain't a track fork...

    Mike

  8. skyali wrote-<< I would like to upgrade my nine year old custom sprint track bike
    > (steel) with a carbon track fork...straight blade. Can anyone recommen .

    I would have to agree with J. Dacey(alert the media!!) about looking into the need of a carbon track
    fork for sprints..A well made steel one works really well, I hear, as I don't have much time on a
    track, just with some track bikes...As J. Dacey will probably remind me-

  9. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    On 28 Mar 2003 14:03:41 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

    >skyali wrote-<< I would like to upgrade my nine year old custom sprint track bike
    >> (steel) with a carbon track fork...straight blade. Can anyone recommen .
    >
    >I would have to agree with J. Dacey(alert the media!!) about looking into the need of a carbon
    >track fork for sprints..A well made steel one works really well, I hear, as I don't have much time
    >on a track, just with some track bikes...As J. Dacey will probably remind me-

    Peter, I'm cut to the quick to learn that you'd think that. It's true that I've made some gentle
    suggestions here that I thought would make a couple of your posts regarding track gear even more
    correct. If anything I wrote seemed more belligerent however, perhaps you just caught me on a bad
    day. I've been a little cranky lately since I haven't yet received my 2003 catalog from ShelBroCo.

    John