Carbon Vs. Aluminum Urgent Question

Nordic Explorer

Sep 1, 2015
I had a Cannondale rental road bike stolen in France. The rental agency claims it was an Evo super six 105 full carbon. I do not believe that is correct because the top cross tube was very large and round like aluminum bikes I have ridden. Perhaps this had carbon forks but aluminum frame? If so can anyone suggest what model it might have been? Again the top tube was perfectly round and probably about 2" outside diameter or maybe a little less. Are carbon tubes large and round like that?

Why don't you simply google a picture of the bike with the proper year, like here is a pic of a 2014: http://cdn.coresites.factorymedia.com/rcuk/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/7-IMG_3352-620x396.jpg. If the rental company is trying to cheat you out of the money for the stolen bike you can do three things, the first thing is that the rental contract/receipt should show the type and model of bike rented to you; if not then secondly demand to see proof they ever bought a bike like that and it was rented to you; third you're homeowners policy will cover the said bike minus your deductible of course assuming you didn't take out some sort of insurance for such losses from the rental place. The burden of proof of what kind of bike was rented to you does lie with them, so your rental contract is your ally, if you feel your contract was misrepresenting the bike they gave you...you're screwed, you should have read it first.

And yes, CF can have large diameter top tubes as you can see from the pics.

Thank you for these excellent comments. The rental contract is not specific which is certainly in my favor ("velo course carbon") and the guy was all too negotiable on price which made me suspicious. I will ask for their purchase receipt and to see similar bikes to compare photos. Not sure about my homeowners but I'll check. I do know my visa, in spite of what I was led to believe earlier, only covers car rentals NOT bikes, motor scooters, or motorcycles. One other question - I was told sometimes you can see the weld on aluminum which is not present on carbon. Is this true? Not sure I can easily distinguish models but will have to settle this tomorrow.

Nordic Explorer said:
Thank you for these excellent comments. The rental contract is not specific which is certainly in my favor ("velo course carbon") and the guy was all too negotiable on price which made me suspicious. I will ask for their purchase receipt and to see similar bikes to compare photos. Not sure about my homeowners but I'll check. I do know my visa, in spite of what I was led to believe earlier, only covers car rentals NOT bikes, motor scooters, or motorcycles. One other question - I was told sometimes you can see the weld on aluminum which is not present on carbon. Is this true? Not sure I can easily distinguish models but will have to settle this tomorrow.
There is no welds on carbon, so yes welds are visible on aluminium.

Odd thought, and I mean a completely odd thought, but what if the rental place was running a scam, they rent the bike to the unsuspecting "wealthy" American, then send one of their workers out to steal the bike...they could make a lot of money that way.

The presence of welds proves that it's not a CF frame. But the absence of welds is not definite proof of anything.

DSCN0778.JPG
dabac said:
The presence of welds proves that it's not a CF frame. But the absence of welds is not definite proof of anything.

I must agree. The welds on my 1998 CAD3 Cannondale are ground smooth,no welds apparent.

My wife's OCLV frame is close to the same color and the joints look nearly identical in some ares as this one on my aluminum frame.

Did you take any vacation pics of the bike or with the bike in the background?

Mr. Beanz said:
attachicon.gif
DSCN0778.JPG

I must agree. The welds on my 1998 CAD3 Cannondale are ground smooth,no welds apparent.

My wife's OCLV frame is close to the same color and the joints look nearly identical in some ares as this one on my aluminum frame.
Absolutely. Cannondale pioneered the practice of grinding (and filling) welds on aluminum frames decades ago.