I'm looking at purchasing a new road bike. My main goals include some minor racing, but mostly some major centuries and hill challenges this summer.
What would people say are the real benefits of carbon, aluminum, and composite bikes are? I know that aluminum is quite stiff and taking bumps on it can be a less comfortable experience (I own an older Fuji Al right now). But are carbon bikes really that much lighter, or is it the added flex that really helps, but won't that decrease your own power output if the frame flexes as you apply force? Don't stiff bikes perform better on downhill sections because they are so much stiffer?
What would people say are the real benefits of carbon, aluminum, and composite bikes are? I know that aluminum is quite stiff and taking bumps on it can be a less comfortable experience (I own an older Fuji Al right now). But are carbon bikes really that much lighter
The differences are much more complex than just frame material. Some aluminum frames are very flexy. Tubing diameter and thickness and seat tube angle and wheelbase make a huge difference in how harsh a frame rides. Tires and wheels can make an even bigger difference. The "aluminum is super stiff" myth mostly comes from cheap aluminum bikes that use thick, wide, heavy tubing.