Carbon vs Columbus Steel

Don Quijote

Sep 22, 2004
What if Eddy Merck and Lance Armstrong were the same age, and they would be riding an all Columbus Steel Colnago, with tubulars and frame shifters, etc., and the race was a 55 km TT...who would win?! DQ:confused:

So is Ulrich and any other great rival in the great sport of cycling. The focus is POWER per PEDAL STROKE- "Watts". DQ
SCDETAILER said:
Eddy!!!!Different type of rider, a juggernaut.

i just wanna believe eddy could and would suffer more, he was known to take off at the base of climbs without teammates, for instance, and ride in alone.
he also lapped the field at the criterium des nations.

these were not the moves that win today, the precise surgical strategies to stay on top of gc, when and only when needed, but brutal displays of domination and raw cannabilistic overkill for the sheer sake of it...

as for the comparitive age consideration, remember also lance was beat soundly by acala in the itt at an age when eddy was dominant.

i am sure it has crossed eddy's mind, but then he probably reflects on what he won, how many times he won and who he won against, thereby making this a moot point to say the least.

Don Quijote said:
What if Eddy Merck and Lance Armstrong were the same age, and they would be riding an all Columbus Steel Colnago, with tubulars and frame shifters, etc., and the race was a 55 km TT...who would win?! DQ:confused:

Ah, Hypno, my friend, well put, but it is just a matter of perspectives...Did you watch this past TDF, stage #14 in the Pyyrenees, in my opinion a demonstration of strength of character, will and sheer pedal power by our legendary cycling champion Lance Armstrong. Yes, he reminded me of the great Eddy Merck, Miguel Indurain and Bernard Hinault, as if he were a mixture of all three in one great tour the force, my friend. Lance was suddenly alone, his team Discovery chattered by a viscious attack by T-Mobile, and a fast and relentless attack by Vino, Ulrich and Kloden. In the words of Phil Liggett:"The motto is, it seems, don't mess with Lance, as he caught up the leaders and left everyone before the finish to take second and increase his lead". Paul Sherwen also comments: "So what do you do when you have no teammates left? Do the job yourself. Armstrong waited...then jumped across to the T-Mobile trio with a scary amount of ease."
And what about the legendary 12 miles ITT in stage one, when he caught up and passed the German champ Ulrich, who is a very strong and dominating TT himself, and who has never been caught before in an ITT? Hypno, I respect your admiration and respect for "the cannibal" Merck, and I also respect him, but Lance came back from the dead first, defeating an advanced cancer, after debilitating chemo and radiation treatments, with medications that debilitated and compromised him, and then win a TDF months after recovery...AMAZING, and then do it again, and again, and again, and again, and again...and again! Hypno, this is a stunning feat, and perhaps has dazzled many cycling fans, rendering them unable to see this great triumph of the human heart/spirit! Ride hard, ride well, LIVESTRONG!!!!
Don Q:cool:
Hypnospin said:
i just wanna believe eddy could and would suffer more, he was known to take off at the base of climbs without teammates, for instance, and ride in alone.
he also lapped the field at the criterium des nations.

these were not the moves that win today, the precise surgical strategies to stay on top of gc, when and only when needed, but brutal displays of domination and raw cannabilistic overkill for the sheer sake of it...

as for the comparitive age consideration, remember also lance was beat soundly by acala in the itt at an age when eddy was dominant.

i am sure it has crossed eddy's mind, but then he probably reflects on what he won, how many times he won and who he won against, thereby making this a moot point to say the least.