Carbon vs Titanium ?????

f1943r

Dec 27, 2006
Looking to purchase a new bike. Trying to decide between a Carbon Fiber frame, or a Titanium frame. Both are about the same in price and components. Any advantages or disadvantages I should now about? No, I can't buy both.
Thank you

Not all Ti frames are created equal, and even less carbon frames are created equal.

Which frames are you looking at?

I tihnk the all agreed opinion in here is that frame material doesn't make you faster, training and good fit does though.

Ride what you feel the best on.

f1943r said:
Looking to purchase a new bike. Trying to decide between a Carbon Fiber frame, or a Titanium frame. Both are about the same in price and components. Any advantages or disadvantages I should now about? No, I can't buy both.
Thank you
I think that most folks think that both materials are pretty darn good. If you get a Ti frame from a good builder you are buying a frame that is built by a craftsman. When you buy a carbon frame it is not really built by someone that I would think of as a craftsman. There are exceptions like Calfee. That does not make the frame better really but I think bikes should be built by craftsman. I guess that I am old school on this and I can't quantify a difference but I like the idea.

f1943r said:
Thank you

If your son drops a hammer on the top tube from 5 feet you'll likely get a different type of ding with carbon. I also think welds are better looking than a glue joint. Scratches in ti wipe away with steel wool. The carbon is probably lighter. You need to ride both, and if the geometry, wheels, saddle, tires, air pressure, etc. is the same you'll get a good comparison. The big difference will be in feel.

If I had the choice I'd choose Titanium any day. The both are excellent materials(provided well made etc) but for me it would be cool:) to have what less people have. I would want some of the frame painted and some of it nude TI so others would be confused as well.

Phill P said:
Not all Ti frames are created equal, and even less carbon frames are created equal.

Which frames are you looking at?

I tihnk the all agreed opinion in here is that frame material doesn't make you faster, training and good fit does though.

Ride what you feel the best on.
One is a Litespeed the other a Specialized Tarmac. Both 10 speed, both Ultegra, both have Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels.

f1943r said:
One is a Litespeed the other a Specialized Tarmac. Both 10 speed, both Ultegra, both have Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels.

Which Litespeed?
Is the Tarmac geometry a little more relaxed?
I know a bike shop salesman and bike racer that has ridden nearly every Litespeed and owns a Moots, Tarmac, and Roubaix. He talks about the Tarmac as being the most comfortable in terms of ride and handling. Very light as well.

Mish said:
Which Litespeed?
Is the Tarmac geometry a little more relaxed?
I know a bike shop salesman and bike racer that has ridden nearly every Litespeed and owns a Moots, Tarmac, and Roubaix. He talks about the Tarmac as being the most comfortable in terms of ride and handling. Very light as well.
Litespeed Tuscany

Buy titanium as a retirement gift for yourself.

Until then it's carbon.

f1943r said:
Litespeed Tuscany

Have you been able to spend much time on the bikes?
Can you do more than ride around the parking lot at the bike shop?

Thanks for everyone’s help and suggestions. Bought the Tarmac yesterday. Was able to do a 25 mile ride after the dusting of snow we received in Asheville NC melted and dried off. Bike fits me like a glove and seems to be a very comfortable ride. Very responsive on the hills maybe the wheels, Kysrium SL, or the stiffness of the frame. Thanks again.