Carbon Wheel Question?

I saw that Specialized test yesterday and I'd be far more inclined to believe the 5 second savings over the 70 second savings.

Originally Posted by 3perez
Specialized did wind tunnel testing to show that shaved legs can save you 70 seconds over 40km so I would advise leg shaving and a good light weight aluminum wheelset since you are new and you can race well on them and beat many with the carbon wheels with proper training but as you progress up the ranks they will make a difference and suggest saving up for a pair in the future I use the Profile design twenty-four series wheel set and love them.
So is Specialized saying shaved legs would equate to the same ballpark savings over 40k as they claim for their 303/404's (which is approx 60-70secs)?

I'm gonna start shaving my legs again, and my eyebrows!

Wasn't Chester Kyle who did those rolling resistance studies that concluded narrow tires were faster than 25mm tires?

At the time and with the rims and tires available, he was probably correct. Kyle's tests are somewhat dated, but the 5-7 second figure for shaving is the ballpark for a couple-three 'studies'.

Of course, I've seen gorilla legs that just might induce a minute time loss...JH's last girlfriend was one that comes to mind.