Carbon Wheelset Safe to Ride?

Kevin

Guest
I recently purchased a used set of Mavic Carbonne wheels, and there is a
small (~1/4") crack in the carbon right by one of the spokes on the front
wheel. Is this wheelset safe to ride on? It still feels plenty strong, but
I am a little uneasy because of the crack.

Here's a photo (if it's up yet):
http://bayimg.com/aAHaaAaBJ

Thanks,
Kevin

The photo link doesn't seem to be working. Try this:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Kevin.GT/NewWheels/photo#5120516217781767618

Kevin

news:[email protected]...

On Oct 12, 12:20 pm, "Kevin" <[email protected]> wrote:
> The photo link doesn't seem to be working. Try this:http://picasaweb.google.com/Kevin.GT/NewWheels/photo#5120516217781767618
>
> Kevin
>
> "Kevin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> >I recently purchased a used set of Mavic Carbonne wheels, and there is a
> >small (~1/4") crack in the carbon right by one of the spokes on the front
> >wheel. Is this wheelset safe to ride on? It still feels plenty strong,
> >but I am a little uneasy because of the crack.

> > Here's a photo (if it's up yet):
> >http://bayimg.com/aAHaaAaBJ

> > Thanks,
> > Kevin

The carbon on this wheel is a fairing only, adds no structural
integrity to the wheel at all..so ride with confidence.

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:
> The carbon on this wheel is a fairing only, adds no structural
> integrity to the wheel at all..so ride with confidence.

"Mine goes to eleven!"
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Oct 12, 2:41 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> "Kevin" <[email protected]> wrote
> >> The photo link doesn't seem to be working. Try this:http://picasaweb.google.com/Kevin.GT/NewWheels/photo#5120516217781767618

> Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.comwrote:
>
> > The carbon on this wheel is a fairing only, adds no structural
> > integrity to the wheel at all..so ride with confidence.

> "Mine goes to eleven!"

My cucumber is wrapped in foil!

On Oct 13, 9:52 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.comwrote:

> > > The carbon on this wheel is a fairing only, adds no structural
> > > integrity to the wheel at all..so ride with confidence.

> > "Mine goes to eleven!"

> My cucumber is wrapped in foil!

Is that a big hit with the ladies? ;-)

> The carbon on this wheel is a fairing only, adds no structural
> integrity to the wheel at all..so ride with confidence.

Am I mistaken or wasn't there a time when UCI rules didn't allow
non-structural aerodynamic bits & pieces on bikes & parts? Clearly that's
not the case today, and perhaps I'm not remembering correctly.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> On Oct 12, 12:20 pm, "Kevin" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The photo link doesn't seem to be working. Try
>> this:http://picasaweb.google.com/Kevin.GT/NewWheels/photo#5120516217781767618
>>
>> Kevin
>>
>> "Kevin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> >I recently purchased a used set of Mavic Carbonne wheels, and there is a
>> >small (~1/4") crack in the carbon right by one of the spokes on the
>> >front
>> >wheel. Is this wheelset safe to ride on? It still feels plenty strong,
>> >but I am a little uneasy because of the crack.

>> > Here's a photo (if it's up yet):
>> >http://bayimg.com/aAHaaAaBJ

>> > Thanks,
>> > Kevin

> The carbon on this wheel is a fairing only, adds no structural
> integrity to the wheel at all..so ride with confidence.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Kevin

news:[email protected]...