Care and feeding of cast iron

Katra

Guest
Was trying to find more info. on Griswold antique cast iron
since I have a very small collection, (and would _really_
like to find a #14 griswold
lid) and ran across this very excellent site to share:

http://antiques.about.com/cs/miscellaneous/a/aa013000_2.htm

Enjoy!

Sux that Griswold is no longer being made. It's SO much
better IMHO than Lodge!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

"Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Was trying to find more info. on Griswold antique cast
> iron since I have a very small collection, (and would
> _really_ like to find a #14 griswold
> lid) and ran across this very excellent site to share:
>
> http://antiques.about.com/cs/miscellaneous/a/aa0130-
> 00_2.htm
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Sux that Griswold is no longer being made. It's SO much
> better IMHO than Lodge!
>
> K.

What an amazing amount us useless work. Just take the old
pan and either put it into the oven on a self-cleaning cycle
or put it on top of wood in the fireplace and build a fire.

Griswold generally cooks better than Lodge because it's been
"used" for years.

Dimitri

"Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> What an amazing amount us useless work. Just take the old
> pan and either
put
> it into the oven on a self-cleaning cycle or put it on top
> of wood in the fireplace and build a fire.
>
> Griswold generally cooks better than Lodge because it's
> been "used" for years.
>
> Dimitri

Would you suggest that for a pan with a little rust? I
almost bought a couple of used frying pans for a buck a
piece, but it's not like I needed another pan, and I wasn't
sure how much work it would be to clean them up. If I can
just put them in the oven for a while, then re-season, that
couple of bucks would be a great bargain.

Donna

In article <[email protected]>,
"Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> [email protected]...
> > Was trying to find more info. on Griswold antique cast
> > iron since I have a very small collection, (and would
> > _really_ like to find a #14 griswold
> > lid) and ran across this very excellent site to share:
> >
> > http://antiques.about.com/cs/miscellaneous/a/aa013000-
> > _2.htm
> >
> > Enjoy!
> >
> > Sux that Griswold is no longer being made. It's SO much
> > better IMHO than Lodge!
> >
> > K.
>
> What an amazing amount us useless work. Just take the
> old pan and either put it into the oven on a self-
> cleaning cycle or put it on top of wood in the fireplace
> and build a fire.

Mom and dad say just soak it well in Olive oil and stick it
in the coals of a campfire. <G> Same thing pretty much! I
just put lots of oil on them and stick them into the oven
for a bit if something happens to the to un-season them,
like burning food in them. :-(

> Griswold generally cooks better than Lodge because it's
> been "used" for years.
>
> Dimitri

Yes... and no. Lodge has a rougher surface to start with.

Griswold is just better made IMHO! But, that just my own
personal opinion. :)

So Dimitri, no leads on a #14 lid??? :-o

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

"D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > What an amazing amount us useless work. Just take the
> > old pan and either
> put
> > it into the oven on a self-cleaning cycle or put it on
> > top of wood in
the
> > fireplace and build a fire.
> >
> > Griswold generally cooks better than Lodge because it's
> > been "used" for years.
> >
> > Dimitri
> >

> Would you suggest that for a pan with a little rust? I
> almost bought a couple of used frying pans for a buck a
> piece, but it's not like I needed another pan, and I
> wasn't sure how much work it would be to clean them up. If
> I can just put them in the oven for a while, then re-
> season, that
couple
> of bucks would be a great bargain.
>
> Donna

I've purchased used ones with a little rust - I just popped
them into the oven on a self-cleaning cycle then removed the
rust with a little brush or a cleaning pad and then re-
seasoned them.

Dimitri

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 02:55:00 -0600, Katra
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article
><[email protected]>,
>"Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Griswold generally cooks better than Lodge because it's
>> been "used" for years.
>>
>> Dimitri
>
>Yes... and no. Lodge has a rougher surface to start with.
>
>Griswold is just better made IMHO! But, that just my own
>personal opinion. :)
>
>So Dimitri, no leads on a #14 lid??? :-o

What I have in the Northeastern US is Wagner. The smooth or
rough interior seems to be an age thing. If I run across an
old smooth replacement for my rough sizes, I won't care too
much what brand is on
it.

No question the smooth ones are better.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.