Care and feeding of cast iron

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Katra, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Katra

    Katra Guest

    Was trying to find more info. on Griswold antique cast iron
    since I have a very small collection, (and would _really_
    like to find a #14 griswold
    lid) and ran across this very excellent site to share:

    http://antiques.about.com/cs/miscellaneous/a/aa013000_2.htm

    Enjoy!

    Sux that Griswold is no longer being made. It's SO much
    better IMHO than Lodge!

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

    Tags:

  2. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Was trying to find more info. on Griswold antique cast
    > iron since I have a very small collection, (and would
    > _really_ like to find a #14 griswold
    > lid) and ran across this very excellent site to share:
    >
    > http://antiques.about.com/cs/miscellaneous/a/aa0130-
    > 00_2.htm
    >
    > Enjoy!
    >
    > Sux that Griswold is no longer being made. It's SO much
    > better IMHO than Lodge!
    >
    > K.

    What an amazing amount us useless work. Just take the old
    pan and either put it into the oven on a self-cleaning cycle
    or put it on top of wood in the fireplace and build a fire.

    Griswold generally cooks better than Lodge because it's been
    "used" for years.

    Dimitri

  3. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > What an amazing amount us useless work. Just take the old
    > pan and either
    put
    > it into the oven on a self-cleaning cycle or put it on top
    > of wood in the fireplace and build a fire.
    >
    > Griswold generally cooks better than Lodge because it's
    > been "used" for years.
    >
    > Dimitri

    Would you suggest that for a pan with a little rust? I
    almost bought a couple of used frying pans for a buck a
    piece, but it's not like I needed another pan, and I wasn't
    sure how much work it would be to clean them up. If I can
    just put them in the oven for a while, then re-season, that
    couple of bucks would be a great bargain.

    Donna

  4. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > [email protected]
    > > Was trying to find more info. on Griswold antique cast
    > > iron since I have a very small collection, (and would
    > > _really_ like to find a #14 griswold
    > > lid) and ran across this very excellent site to share:
    > >
    > > http://antiques.about.com/cs/miscellaneous/a/aa013000-
    > > _2.htm
    > >
    > > Enjoy!
    > >
    > > Sux that Griswold is no longer being made. It's SO much
    > > better IMHO than Lodge!
    > >
    > > K.
    >
    > What an amazing amount us useless work. Just take the
    > old pan and either put it into the oven on a self-
    > cleaning cycle or put it on top of wood in the fireplace
    > and build a fire.

    Mom and dad say just soak it well in Olive oil and stick it
    in the coals of a campfire. <G> Same thing pretty much! I
    just put lots of oil on them and stick them into the oven
    for a bit if something happens to the to un-season them,
    like burning food in them. :-(

    > Griswold generally cooks better than Lodge because it's
    > been "used" for years.
    >
    > Dimitri

    Yes... and no. Lodge has a rougher surface to start with.

    Griswold is just better made IMHO! But, that just my own
    personal opinion. :)

    So Dimitri, no leads on a #14 lid??? :-o

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  5. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > What an amazing amount us useless work. Just take the
    > > old pan and either
    > put
    > > it into the oven on a self-cleaning cycle or put it on
    > > top of wood in
    the
    > > fireplace and build a fire.
    > >
    > > Griswold generally cooks better than Lodge because it's
    > > been "used" for years.
    > >
    > > Dimitri
    > >

    > Would you suggest that for a pan with a little rust? I
    > almost bought a couple of used frying pans for a buck a
    > piece, but it's not like I needed another pan, and I
    > wasn't sure how much work it would be to clean them up. If
    > I can just put them in the oven for a while, then re-
    > season, that
    couple
    > of bucks would be a great bargain.
    >
    > Donna

    I've purchased used ones with a little rust - I just popped
    them into the oven on a self-cleaning cycle then removed the
    rust with a little brush or a cleaning pad and then re-
    seasoned them.

    Dimitri

  6. On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 02:55:00 -0600, Katra
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article
    ><[email protected]>,
    >"Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >> Griswold generally cooks better than Lodge because it's
    >> been "used" for years.
    >>
    >> Dimitri
    >
    >Yes... and no. Lodge has a rougher surface to start with.
    >
    >Griswold is just better made IMHO! But, that just my own
    >personal opinion. :)
    >
    >So Dimitri, no leads on a #14 lid??? :-o

    What I have in the Northeastern US is Wagner. The smooth or
    rough interior seems to be an age thing. If I run across an
    old smooth replacement for my rough sizes, I won't care too
    much what brand is on
    it.

    No question the smooth ones are better.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.