Care for Bike Apparel/clothes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mark, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi folks, I'm not so concerned for care of a Jersey, but very
    concerned for the care/washing/maintainence of Bike Shorts.

    I Have recently bought a very nice pair of Santini Shorts, and am very
    happy with them. Very nice substantial padding.
    I did save the tags, with care/washing instructions, but for the life
    of me, I cannot find them. :-(

    I was thinking of just hand washing them in cool/lukewarm water with
    Woolite, and perhaps a very gentle tumble dry cycle, or just drip dry?

    The other issue I have heard about is Chamois Cream. Is Chamois Cream
    so important to use on these shorts, or any others like them?

    I honestly cannot tell if it's real leather Chamois, or synthetic on
    these, they feel so much like real leather!? In either case, do I
    really have to Chamois Cream these?

    Slathering a Chamois with tons of Goop doesn't seem too attractive to
    me )Like I seen Lance do last week on TV), and I'm thinking in my case
    may create more problems than solve? With the amount of Cream he
    applied, I think I would feel like a crapped my pants!

    I'm not in the saddle 6 hours at a time like pros are, and I've
    experienced a very sore ass, but never chafing.

    I definitely need suggestions soon, as I surely don't wish to be
    wearing these when they are not clean, nor do I wish to damage them in
    any way. All suggestions would be deeply appreciated! Thanks, Mark
    D.

    Tags:

  2. Ian S

    Ian S Guest

    It's pretty hard to find real chamois bike shorts these days so I suspect
    that the shorts you have include a synthetic chamois. If so, they really
    don't need the cream. I wash my cycling shorts (real or imitation chamois)
    in the washing machine, cold/cold cycle and let them drip dry. I NEVER put
    them in the dryer.

  3. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Mark wrote:

    > Hi folks, I'm not so concerned for care of a Jersey, but very
    > concerned for the care/washing/maintainence of Bike Shorts.

    As with all technical fabrics, the most important thing is to make
    sure they are well rinsed. Detergent residue can eat up the
    material. I use a mild detergent, colc cycle with an extra rinse
    cycle, and hang dry. Here's some advice I got from a Pearl Izumi
    warranty guy:

    "One of the critical issues to consider when washing any
    technical garment is making sure you've completely rinsed the
    material at the end of the cycle. If you give your shorts a quick
    sniff after they come out of the wash and they still smell like your
    detergent - they're not quite clean."

    If you need chamois cream, you will know it. Yes, it feels weird
    when you first pull the shorts on.

  4. JH

    JH Guest

    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi folks, I'm not so concerned for care of a Jersey, but very
    > concerned for the care/washing/maintainence of Bike Shorts.
    >
    > I Have recently bought a very nice pair of Santini Shorts, and am

    very
    > happy with them. Very nice substantial padding.
    > I did save the tags, with care/washing instructions, but for the

    life
    > of me, I cannot find them. :-(
    >
    > I was thinking of just hand washing them in cool/lukewarm water

    with
    > Woolite, and perhaps a very gentle tumble dry cycle, or just drip

    dry?

    > The other issue I have heard about is Chamois Cream. Is Chamois

    Cream
    > so important to use on these shorts, or any others like them?
    >
    > I honestly cannot tell if it's real leather Chamois, or synthetic

    on
    > these, they feel so much like real leather!? In either case, do I
    > really have to Chamois Cream these?
    >
    > Slathering a Chamois with tons of Goop doesn't seem too attractive

    > me )Like I seen Lance do last week on TV), and I'm thinking in my

    case
    > may create more problems than solve? With the amount of Cream he
    > applied, I think I would feel like a crapped my pants!
    >
    > I'm not in the saddle 6 hours at a time like pros are, and I've
    > experienced a very sore ass, but never chafing.
    >
    > I definitely need suggestions soon, as I surely don't wish to be
    > wearing these when they are not clean, nor do I wish to damage

    them in
    > any way. All suggestions would be deeply appreciated! Thanks,

    Mark
    > D.

    Try soaking them in diluted "Dettol" for say 20 mins, making sure
    the chamois is fully soaked, then rinse twice and dry. I have done
    this for ages with my cycling and gym clothes (all synthetics) it
    works a treat.

    John

  5. Ricardo

    Ricardo Guest

    "Ian S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:3BMBc.55100$u%[email protected]
    > It's pretty hard to find real chamois bike shorts these days so I suspect
    > that the shorts you have include a synthetic chamois. If so, they really
    > don't need the cream. I wash my cycling shorts (real or imitation chamois)
    > in the washing machine, cold/cold cycle and let them drip dry. I NEVER put
    > them in the dryer.

    just want to second this advice-- Especially "Never put them in the dryer"!

    As for the creme, I find I can no longer ride without it. Must be my
    delicate skin that chafes so easily. I also find it eliminates saddle sores
    (well, maybe not the creme alone, but its an important part of a regimen
    I've developed...)

  6. [email protected] (Mark) wrote:
    >Hi folks, I'm not so concerned for care of a Jersey, but very
    >concerned for the care/washing/maintainence of Bike Shorts.

    I've washed all my bike shorts, and jerseys for that matter, in the
    washing machine (hot/cold with regular detergent on the normal cycle)
    hundreds of times over the years. Never had a problem. I always drip
    dry.

    Michael

  7. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Hot? Really?

  8. Gary <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>Hi folks, I'm not so concerned for care of a Jersey, but very
    >>>concerned for the care/washing/maintainence of Bike Shorts.

    >> I've washed all my bike shorts, and jerseys for that matter, in the
    >> washing machine (hot/cold with regular detergent on the normal cycle)
    >> hundreds of times over the years. Never had a problem. I always drip
    >> dry.

    >Hot? Really?

    Yeah, my jerseys get really stinky so I want the most de-stinkifying
    wash possible. The shorts are just along for the ride.

    Michael

  9. Jee Doy

    Jee Doy Guest

    >I was thinking of just hand washing them in cool/lukewarm water with
    >Woolite, and perhaps a very gentle tumble dry cycle, or just drip dry?

    I'm in So California, so after the hand wash, I let it dry in the sun, inside
    out.

  10. For many years, I very carefully washed all my bike clothes by hand in
    cold water and drip dried. One day I got lazy, and simply washed them
    with all my other clothes in warm water in the machine. My only
    concession to the special fabric was to use the lowest setting (but
    not the no-heat setting) on my dryer. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've
    never had a problem.

  11. For many years, I very carefully washed all my bike clothes by hand in
    cold water and drip dried. One day I got lazy, and simply washed them
    with all my other clothes in warm water in the machine. My only
    concession to the special fabric was to use the lowest setting (but
    not the no-heat setting) on my dryer. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've
    never had a problem.

  12. Neacalban1

    Neacalban1 Guest

    all the lycra and synthetic I wash in cold water, drip dry. I like the
    Performance Gel shorts, and if you dry those with heat the gel falls apart.