Career in Cycling

You could ask at your local bike shop if they sponsor, or if they know of any local sponsors, that's the first step I'd take.

Learn to appeal to companies. Just because you may be new to the sport or maybe not quite top notch yet does not mean there are no opportunities for you. I was only in the sport of cycling for 3 month and only done 1 race and a century ride when I landed my first sponsorship deal with some big name companies in the cycling industry. Most of the times it wont be free gear yet but mostly large discounts on gear but it help get you on the radar and lots of times if you do well they will often post stuff on their social media pages on you. You must be willing to show them your are ready to work and you have to make them see how you could be of benefit to them. If you are outgoing then that tells them you are willing to talk to people about their product. If you have many connections on social media then that can provide a marketing outlet for them. All you have to do is just ask and many of times you will be surprised with the responses you will receive.

Usually folks with the proper training and right make up of genes to succeed professionally will graduate fairly quickly through the ranks of USAC and end up in Cat1/2 after just a few racing seasons. One would need to start riding and racing with structured training starting at a pretty early age. Most pro's started in their pre-teens with a proper coach but there have been a few who started a little later.

Only a very small percentage of racers will find work racing, there are however many other jobs in cycling that could turn onto careers: sales, racing journalist, race photographer, team manager, coaching, race promotion, traveling and bike tours, sports massage, mechanic, fitter, owning a bike shop, etc. The list goes on. Not as glamorous as racing but more realistic in terms of landing.

If I were to guess, I would put the odds of becoming a pro racer in that same stratosphere as becoming a rock star.

As with any job, the power of networking cannot be under estimated. Motivation, perseverance, and patience will also be important tools.

Edit: This site may be a good start: http://www.bicycleindustryjobs.com/bicycle-index.asp

Race as much as you can and aim to do well at club, regional, state and national level. Most of us can do the first three with a lot of training and dedication. The last ones a bit tougher to crack, also having 'good' parents (genetics) helps
sarcasm.png
. Worldtour pros are on another planet compared to the best riders who are racing at a national level. The good thing about cycling is it's very accessible, over the off season here, it's no uncommon to train with a euro pro every few days. Train with the best riders you can and race at the highest level you can.

If I had my time again I would take a gap year or two between highschool and university and goto Belgium and race as an amature.

I do believe that career in cycling is the best thing about having a good time in your life. I think it can be great to have such a career. It would be beautiful.

To make a career in cycling you need to join a team and train every single day. I would not want this though, I love to ride, I wouldn't want it to be my job.

Career in cycling requires a lot of help and support from family. You can earn a decent income but not great one.

I really don't know if it's possible for just anyone to do a career in cycling, I mean, it depends a lot on our age, from a certain age on it's simply not possible.

Cycling pays if you can be serious about it. Make sure you exercise a lot to develop strong muscles. Get to know the simple rules and never give up. You should know that you can not be a professional cyclist in just one day, it takes time. Join cycling clubs and am sure you will make it.

A career in cycling or a career cycling?
There is a huge difference.
To get a career in cycling I would say go to a local college for sports management. Might be one with a cycling specialization but that's for you to research. Start looking for employers in cycling the day you start your first class. Do a little extra homework and learn the industry.
A career cycling?
Go fast, really really fast.
So basically give up everything to ride and train 40 hours a week.

Any career in sports is a hard one to get. And a lot of sports have a low pay out as well. Win your races and make sure you have something to fall back on incase you don't.

If you want to make cycling a career, you got to stock up on muscle and train 110%. The more and harder you train, the better your biking performance will be resulting in better results during races which in turn build you reputation and companies would be able to find you as a reliable candidate. Work hard like lebron. Get tips from bike mentors and don't procrastinate! Go!