Career Rejuvenated, Careers Made.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by derby, May 29, 2004.

  1. derby

    derby Guest

    At 34, Gonchar has never had a season without success in his 8 years of
    racing as a pro, but should he hold on to his meager grasp on 2nd at the
    Giro, this will definitely bolster the prospects for a rider who most
    would consider to be near the retirement years for his profession.

    If speculation that he might ride for Popovyvh next year is true, I
    think that would be a good fit. I wish him well.

    As for Cunego and Sella, they have made their marks quite well and
    should provide some hope for the tifosi in the Grand Tours of the
    future.:cool:

  2. Mapei81

    Mapei81 Guest

    >At 34, Gonchar has never had a season without success in his 8 years of
    >racing as a pro, but should he hold on to his meager grasp on 2nd at the
    >Giro, this will definitely bolster the prospects for a rider who most
    >would consider to be near the retirement years for his profession.

    BTW, what's that special jersey he is wearing? Is he the Ukranian champion?

  3. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Mapei81) wrote:

    > >At 34, Gonchar has never had a season without success in his 8 years of
    > >racing as a pro, but should he hold on to his meager grasp on 2nd at the
    > >Giro, this will definitely bolster the prospects for a rider who most
    > >would consider to be near the retirement years for his profession.

    > BTW, what's that special jersey he is wearing? Is he the Ukranian champion?

    Yes. Apparently he got a big fine for not wearing that jersey in the
    ITT - but he is not the Ukranian ITT champ this year as he was in '02,
    but the road-race champ, so I hope that decision was reversed.

    Tadej Valjavec (Phonak) is the Slovenian champion, Andris Nauduzs
    (Domina Vacanze) Lithuanian, Vladimir Miholyevic (Tenax) Croatian,
    Daniel Schnider (Phonak) Swiss, and Matt Wilson (FDJeux.com) Australian.
    I believe that's it for national champions in this Giro, as Bettini,
    Roux, Sørensen and the like are not riding.

    -Sonarrat.

  4. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    >

    > Tadej Valjavec (Phonak) is the Slovenian champion, Andris Nauduzs
    > (Domina Vacanze) Lithuanian, Vladimir Miholyevic (Tenax) Croatian,
    > Daniel Schnider (Phonak) Swiss, and Matt Wilson (FDJeux.com) Australian.
    > I believe that's it for national champions in this Giro, as Bettini,
    > Roux, Sørensen and the like are not riding.

    Small correction: Radoslav Rogina is the Croatian champ with the funky
    jersey. Miholjevic rides for Alessio (with a different funky jersey).

    Jeff (Travers results linked properly now)

  5. Sonarrat wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Mapei81) wrote:
    >
    >>> At 34, Gonchar has never had a season without success in his 8
    >>> years of racing as a pro, but should he hold on to his meager grasp
    >>> on 2nd at the Giro, this will definitely bolster the prospects for
    >>> a rider who most would consider to be near the retirement years for
    >>> his profession.

    >> BTW, what's that special jersey he is wearing? Is he the Ukranian
    >> champion?

    > Yes. Apparently he got a big fine for not wearing that jersey in the
    > ITT - but he is not the Ukranian ITT champ this year as he was in '02,
    > but the road-race champ, so I hope that decision was reversed.
    >
    > Tadej Valjavec (Phonak) is the Slovenian champion, Andris Nauduzs
    > (Domina Vacanze) Lithuanian, Vladimir Miholyevic (Tenax) Croatian,
    > Daniel Schnider (Phonak) Swiss, and Matt Wilson (FDJeux.com)
    > Australian. I believe that's it for national champions in this Giro,
    > as Bettini, Roux, Sørensen and the like are not riding.
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

    Magnus Bäckstedt, although retired at this point, is reigning ITT champion
    of Sweden.

    --
    Perre

  6. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > >

    > > Tadej Valjavec (Phonak) is the Slovenian champion, Andris Nauduzs
    > > (Domina Vacanze) Lithuanian, Vladimir Miholyevic (Tenax) Croatian,
    > > Daniel Schnider (Phonak) Swiss, and Matt Wilson (FDJeux.com) Australian.
    > > I believe that's it for national champions in this Giro, as Bettini,
    > > Roux, Sørensen and the like are not riding.

    > Small correction: Radoslav Rogina is the Croatian champ with the funky
    > jersey. Miholjevic rides for Alessio (with a different funky jersey).
    >
    > Jeff (Travers results linked properly now)

    Nuts, you're right.

    And now that I look at it a bit more closely, Magnus Backstedt is the
    Swedish ITT champ. I hadn't seen any photos or footage, seeing how he
    tends to nose-dive down the GC early on, so I wouldn't have known.

    -Sonarrat.