Career Rejuvenated, Careers Made.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by derby, May 29, 2004.

  1. derby

    derby New Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2004
    At 34, Gonchar has never had a season without success in his 8 years of racing as a pro, but should he hold on to his meager grasp on 2nd at the Giro, this will definitely bolster the prospects for a rider who most would consider to be near the retirement years for his profession.

    If speculation that he might ride for Popovyvh next year is true, I think that would be a good fit. I wish him well.

    As for Cunego and Sella, they have made their marks quite well and should provide some hope for the tifosi in the Grand Tours of the future.:cool:

    Tags:

  2. Mapei81

    Mapei81 Guest

    >At 34, Gonchar has never had a season without success in
    >his 8 years of racing as a pro, but should he hold on to
    >his meager grasp on 2nd at the Giro, this will definitely
    >bolster the prospects for a rider who most would consider
    >to be near the retirement years for his profession.

    BTW, what's that special jersey he is wearing? Is he the
    Ukranian champion?

  3. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Mapei81) wrote:

    > >At 34, Gonchar has never had a season without success in
    > >his 8 years of racing as a pro, but should he hold on to
    > >his meager grasp on 2nd at the Giro, this will definitely
    > >bolster the prospects for a rider who most would consider
    > >to be near the retirement years for his profession.
    >
    > BTW, what's that special jersey he is wearing? Is he the
    > Ukranian champion?

    Yes. Apparently he got a big fine for not wearing that
    jersey in the ITT - but he is not the Ukranian ITT champ
    this year as he was in '02, but the road-race champ, so I
    hope that decision was reversed.

    Tadej Valjavec (Phonak) is the Slovenian champion, Andris
    Nauduzs (Domina Vacanze) Lithuanian, Vladimir Miholyevic
    (Tenax) Croatian, Daniel Schnider (Phonak) Swiss, and Matt
    Wilson (FDJeux.com) Australian. I believe that's it for
    national champions in this Giro, as Bettini, Roux, Sørensen
    and the like are not riding.

    -Sonarrat.

  4. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:sonarrat-[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    >

    > Tadej Valjavec (Phonak) is the Slovenian champion, Andris
    > Nauduzs (Domina Vacanze) Lithuanian, Vladimir Miholyevic
    > (Tenax) Croatian, Daniel Schnider (Phonak) Swiss, and Matt
    > Wilson (FDJeux.com) Australian. I believe that's it for
    > national champions in this Giro, as Bettini, Roux,
    > Sørensen and the like are not riding.

    Small correction: Radoslav Rogina is the Croatian champ with
    the funky jersey. Miholjevic rides for Alessio (with a
    different funky jersey).

    Jeff (Travers results linked properly now)

  5. Sonarrat wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Mapei81) wrote:
    >
    >>> At 34, Gonchar has never had a season without success in
    >>> his 8 years of racing as a pro, but should he hold on to
    >>> his meager grasp on 2nd at the Giro, this will
    >>> definitely bolster the prospects for a rider who most
    >>> would consider to be near the retirement years for his
    >>> profession.
    >>
    >> BTW, what's that special jersey he is wearing? Is he the
    >> Ukranian champion?
    >
    > Yes. Apparently he got a big fine for not wearing that
    > jersey in the ITT - but he is not the Ukranian ITT champ
    > this year as he was in '02, but the road-race champ, so I
    > hope that decision was reversed.
    >
    > Tadej Valjavec (Phonak) is the Slovenian champion, Andris
    > Nauduzs (Domina Vacanze) Lithuanian, Vladimir Miholyevic
    > (Tenax) Croatian, Daniel Schnider (Phonak) Swiss, and Matt
    > Wilson (FDJeux.com) Australian. I believe that's it for
    > national champions in this Giro, as Bettini, Roux,
    > Sørensen and the like are not riding.
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

    Magnus Bäckstedt, although retired at this point, is
    reigning ITT champion of Sweden.

    --
    Perre

  6. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:sonarrat-
    > [email protected]
    > > In article <[email protected]
    > > m01.aol.com>,
    > >

    > > Tadej Valjavec (Phonak) is the Slovenian champion,
    > > Andris Nauduzs (Domina Vacanze) Lithuanian, Vladimir
    > > Miholyevic (Tenax) Croatian, Daniel Schnider (Phonak)
    > > Swiss, and Matt Wilson (FDJeux.com) Australian. I
    > > believe that's it for national champions in this Giro,
    > > as Bettini, Roux, Sørensen and the like are not riding.
    >
    > Small correction: Radoslav Rogina is the Croatian champ
    > with the funky jersey. Miholjevic rides for Alessio (with
    > a different funky jersey).
    >
    > Jeff (Travers results linked properly now)

    Nuts, you're right.

    And now that I look at it a bit more closely, Magnus
    Backstedt is the Swedish ITT champ. I hadn't seen any photos
    or footage, seeing how he tends to nose-dive down the GC
    early on, so I wouldn't have known.

    -Sonarrat.