Career Rejuvenated, Careers Made.

derby

New Member
May 9, 2004
At 34, Gonchar has never had a season without success in his 8 years of racing as a pro, but should he hold on to his meager grasp on 2nd at the Giro, this will definitely bolster the prospects for a rider who most would consider to be near the retirement years for his profession.

If speculation that he might ride for Popovyvh next year is true, I think that would be a good fit. I wish him well.

As for Cunego and Sella, they have made their marks quite well and should provide some hope for the tifosi in the Grand Tours of the future.:cool:

>At 34, Gonchar has never had a season without success in
>his 8 years of racing as a pro, but should he hold on to
>his meager grasp on 2nd at the Giro, this will definitely
>bolster the prospects for a rider who most would consider
>to be near the retirement years for his profession.

BTW, what's that special jersey he is wearing? Is he the
Ukranian champion?

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Mapei81) wrote:

> >At 34, Gonchar has never had a season without success in
> >his 8 years of racing as a pro, but should he hold on to
> >his meager grasp on 2nd at the Giro, this will definitely
> >bolster the prospects for a rider who most would consider
> >to be near the retirement years for his profession.
>
> BTW, what's that special jersey he is wearing? Is he the
> Ukranian champion?

Yes. Apparently he got a big fine for not wearing that
jersey in the ITT - but he is not the Ukranian ITT champ
this year as he was in '02, but the road-race champ, so I
hope that decision was reversed.

Tadej Valjavec (Phonak) is the Slovenian champion, Andris
Nauduzs (Domina Vacanze) Lithuanian, Vladimir Miholyevic
(Tenax) Croatian, Daniel Schnider (Phonak) Swiss, and Matt
Wilson (FDJeux.com) Australian. I believe that's it for
national champions in this Giro, as Bettini, Roux, Sørensen
and the like are not riding.

-Sonarrat.

"Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
>

> Tadej Valjavec (Phonak) is the Slovenian champion, Andris
> Nauduzs (Domina Vacanze) Lithuanian, Vladimir Miholyevic
> (Tenax) Croatian, Daniel Schnider (Phonak) Swiss, and Matt
> Wilson (FDJeux.com) Australian. I believe that's it for
> national champions in this Giro, as Bettini, Roux,
> Sørensen and the like are not riding.

Small correction: Radoslav Rogina is the Croatian champ with
the funky jersey. Miholjevic rides for Alessio (with a
different funky jersey).

Jeff (Travers results linked properly now)

Sonarrat wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Mapei81) wrote:
>
>>> At 34, Gonchar has never had a season without success in
>>> his 8 years of racing as a pro, but should he hold on to
>>> his meager grasp on 2nd at the Giro, this will
>>> definitely bolster the prospects for a rider who most
>>> would consider to be near the retirement years for his
>>> profession.
>>
>> BTW, what's that special jersey he is wearing? Is he the
>> Ukranian champion?
>
> Yes. Apparently he got a big fine for not wearing that
> jersey in the ITT - but he is not the Ukranian ITT champ
> this year as he was in '02, but the road-race champ, so I
> hope that decision was reversed.
>
> Tadej Valjavec (Phonak) is the Slovenian champion, Andris
> Nauduzs (Domina Vacanze) Lithuanian, Vladimir Miholyevic
> (Tenax) Croatian, Daniel Schnider (Phonak) Swiss, and Matt
> Wilson (FDJeux.com) Australian. I believe that's it for
> national champions in this Giro, as Bettini, Roux,
> Sørensen and the like are not riding.
>
> -Sonarrat.

Magnus Bäckstedt, although retired at this point, is
reigning ITT champion of Sweden.

--
Perre

"Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote:

> "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:sonarrat-
> [email protected]...
> > In article <20040529193247.00660.00000125@mb-
> > m01.aol.com>,
> >

> > Tadej Valjavec (Phonak) is the Slovenian champion,
> > Andris Nauduzs (Domina Vacanze) Lithuanian, Vladimir
> > Miholyevic (Tenax) Croatian, Daniel Schnider (Phonak)
> > Swiss, and Matt Wilson (FDJeux.com) Australian. I
> > believe that's it for national champions in this Giro,
> > as Bettini, Roux, Sørensen and the like are not riding.
>
> Small correction: Radoslav Rogina is the Croatian champ
> with the funky jersey. Miholjevic rides for Alessio (with
> a different funky jersey).
>
> Jeff (Travers results linked properly now)

Nuts, you're right.

And now that I look at it a bit more closely, Magnus
Backstedt is the Swedish ITT champ. I hadn't seen any photos
or footage, seeing how he tends to nose-dive down the GC
early on, so I wouldn't have known.

-Sonarrat.