Careers in Nutrition?

Preston Crawford

Guest
I need a career change. I got a degree in English in 1997. I fell in love
with computers while in college, though, and ended up as a programmer.
Things have largely gone well, but the hours have been taxing and hard on
my body (so much so that I was over 400lbs. at one point due to stress,
lack of time, bad habits). Additionally, I am finding it harder and harder
to find a good mid-level job where you can just do good work without
insane hours or tons of pressure. So I'm thinking of getting out of the
field. Especially before I'm inevitably outsourced. Something I'm very
interested is weight loss/health issues. I used to be this (but bigger...
I don't have a picture of me over 400lbs.)

http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album/images/mebig2.jpg

Now I'm this...

http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album/images/me.jpg

That's the skinny me (minus over 150lbs.) with my old fat clothes on
still. I was too cheap to buy new clothes.

Anyway, I'd like to get into Nutrition. I'm not sure if I'd want to be a
full-fledged nutritionist. I just know that I've had an experience I'd
like to relate to others, to help them and let them know that no matter
how bad it gets, there is still a way out. My wife is also in the same
boat. Down from like 350lbs.+ to 210lbs. Plus she's gone on to do a
Half-Ironman. So we're both big believers in doing the right things to
turn your life around.

However, how do you parlay this into a career. Or at least some decent
jobs where I can be happy with my work during the day. I'm hesitant to go
back to college for 4 years and $40,000 not knowing what the future holds
when I still have student loans. Are there other routes?

Any advice is appreciated.

Preston

>Subject: Careers in Nutrition?
>From: Preston Crawford [email protected]
>Date: 12/6/2004 7:17 PM !!!First

>I need a career change.

>I was over 400lbs. at one point due to stress,
>lack of time, bad habits)

Don't quit your day job!!!

On 2004-12-06, Able Grable <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Subject: Careers in Nutrition?
>>From: Preston Crawford [email protected]
>>Date: 12/6/2004 7:17 PM !!!First

>>I need a career change.

>>I was over 400lbs. at one point due to stress,
>>lack of time, bad habits)

> Don't quit your day job!!!

??????

IMHO formal nutrition education is full of myths that may, in time, be
refuted. Do you really want to be an advocate for the food pyramid?

"Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I need a career change. I got a degree in English in 1997. I fell in love
> with computers while in college, though, and ended up as a programmer.
> Things have largely gone well, but the hours have been taxing and hard on
> my body (so much so that I was over 400lbs. at one point due to stress,
> lack of time, bad habits). Additionally, I am finding it harder and harder
> to find a good mid-level job where you can just do good work without
> insane hours or tons of pressure. So I'm thinking of getting out of the
> field. Especially before I'm inevitably outsourced. Something I'm very
> interested is weight loss/health issues. I used to be this (but bigger...
> I don't have a picture of me over 400lbs.)
>
> http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album/images/mebig2.jpg
>
> Now I'm this...
>
> http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album/images/me.jpg
>
> That's the skinny me (minus over 150lbs.) with my old fat clothes on
> still. I was too cheap to buy new clothes.
>
> Anyway, I'd like to get into Nutrition. I'm not sure if I'd want to be a
> full-fledged nutritionist. I just know that I've had an experience I'd
> like to relate to others, to help them and let them know that no matter
> how bad it gets, there is still a way out. My wife is also in the same
> boat. Down from like 350lbs.+ to 210lbs. Plus she's gone on to do a
> Half-Ironman. So we're both big believers in doing the right things to
> turn your life around.
>
> However, how do you parlay this into a career. Or at least some decent
> jobs where I can be happy with my work during the day. I'm hesitant to go
> back to college for 4 years and $40,000 not knowing what the future holds
> when I still have student loans. Are there other routes?
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Preston

Good grief.......I think it is a little strong to say 'myths' - any
health science is constantly changing and evolving - things held to be
truths in previous years are oftentimes proven to be false based on new
studies, new methods of studies - other long held truths are upheld.
The same is true of all the quasi scientific junk that passes for
gospel in the media. I believe in a good background in scientific
theory and methodology, and then continuous learning to keep one's self
updated........

On 2004-12-07, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> Good grief.......I think it is a little strong to say 'myths' - any
> health science is constantly changing and evolving - things held to be
> truths in previous years are oftentimes proven to be false based on new
> studies, new methods of studies - other long held truths are upheld.
> The same is true of all the quasi scientific junk that passes for
> gospel in the media. I believe in a good background in scientific
> theory and methodology, and then continuous learning to keep one's self
> updated........

That's what I would like to do. I was hoping for an answer with some
substance. I was beginning to get worried there for a moment that this
newsgroup was just a battleground for people's OPINIONS on health. Thanks
for proving to me that there is a little sanity here. Obviously not the
place to come to ask the kind of question I'm asking, though.

Preston

Preston,
First, congratulations to you and your wife for loosing weight !!

There is something that may be just what you are looking for.

We are coming from similar backgrounds. I actually owned a software
company. I not sure which is more of a... hummm... let me say
"challenge". Being a programmer or being the owner. Anyway I escaped
that rat race by selling the company and made the move into nutrition.
Not as a nutritionist, from what I have observed it's hard to make a
living doing that.

I working with a new device developed at the University of Utah (with
lots of funding from the National Science Foundation) that measures
carotenoid antioxidants directly in tissue, quickly and non-invasively.
It turns out carotenoids are an excellent biomarker for the rest of
the antioxidants and in fact can measure if you diet or your supplement
regime is making it to your tissue... not your blood, but your tissue,
where all the cellular action is.

This is new on the market and it has taken me a year to find the right
niche, and it's with the main stream medical community. Now it is
taking off because more and more of the healthcare industry is moving
toward integrative medicine which includes prevention and nutrition....
And this device can measure a biomarker for that.

Go look at www.nutritionalscanner.com for more details.

I am actively looking for distributors and team leaders in all 50
states, Asia and Europe.

Note that we are not selling these devices. Only offering them on a
lease or as a service. Also note that this is not a sales job in the
traditional sense. For one, I have people calling me to see how & when
they can get one - That's Refreshing !!

If you are interested drop me a note at [email protected]. If not
you may want to check it out anyway and get you antioxidants measured.
Be Well
RB

You seem to have already made up your mind. However, you might review:

http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html

I'm not an expert on Paleo, but I can see that they make enough logical
points to question the current view of nutrition.

IMHO: Nutritional studies have been engineered and cherry-picked to support
the traditional views.

On 2004-12-08, Cubit <[email protected]> wrote:
> You seem to have already made up your mind. However, you might review:
>
> http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html
>
> I'm not an expert on Paleo, but I can see that they make enough logical
> points to question the current view of nutrition.
>
> IMHO: Nutritional studies have been engineered and cherry-picked to support
> the traditional views.

I lost over 170lbs. by eating according to what you consider to be
out-dated standards and by exercising.

My wife has lost similarly.

Pretty simple, in my book. I have personal anecdotal evidence that I don't
even need to consider the paleo diet, at least not for myself.

Preston

> "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On 2004-12-07, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > Good grief.......I think it is a little strong to say 'myths' - any
>> > health science is constantly changing and evolving - things held to be
>> > truths in previous years are oftentimes proven to be false based on new
>> > studies, new methods of studies - other long held truths are upheld.
>> > The same is true of all the quasi scientific junk that passes for
>> > gospel in the media. I believe in a good background in scientific
>> > theory and methodology, and then continuous learning to keep one's self
>> > updated........
>> >

>> That's what I would like to do. I was hoping for an answer with some
>> substance. I was beginning to get worried there for a moment that this
>> newsgroup was just a battleground for people's OPINIONS on health. Thanks
>> for proving to me that there is a little sanity here. Obviously not the
>> place to come to ask the kind of question I'm asking, though.
>>
>> Preston

170 is a great achievement. Do you attribute it to low fat low calorie, or
did your exercise dominate the process?

Were you hungry the whole time?

On 2004-12-08, Cubit <[email protected]> wrote:
> 170 is a great achievement. Do you attribute it to low fat low calorie, or
> did your exercise dominate the process?

Actually, I attribute it to plenty of exercise, lots of veggies and fruits
and lots of high-quality carbs (i.e. sprouted grains, true whole wheats,
etc.) and cutting out refined sugar, red meat and pork. So it was low fat,
definitely. It also was and is low on the refined sugars.

> Were you hungry the whole time?

I was never hungry. I'm still not.

Preston

> "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On 2004-12-08, Cubit <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > You seem to have already made up your mind. However, you might review:
>> >
>> > http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html
>> >
>> > I'm not an expert on Paleo, but I can see that they make enough logical
>> > points to question the current view of nutrition.
>> >
>> > IMHO: Nutritional studies have been engineered and cherry-picked to

> support
>> > the traditional views.

>> I lost over 170lbs. by eating according to what you consider to be
>> out-dated standards and by exercising.
>>
>> My wife has lost similarly.
>>
>> Pretty simple, in my book. I have personal anecdotal evidence that I don't
>> even need to consider the paleo diet, at least not for myself.
>>
>> Preston
>>

>> > "Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...

> be

> new

> self

> Thanks

>On 2004-12-08, Cubit <[email protected]> wrote:

>>170 is a great achievement. Do you attribute it to low fat low

calorie, or
>>did your exercise dominate the process?

>Actually, I attribute it to plenty of exercise, lots of veggies and

fruits
>and lots of high-quality carbs (i.e. sprouted grains, true whole

wheats,
>etc.) and cutting out refined sugar, red meat and pork. So it was low

fat,
>definitely. It also was and is low on the refined sugars.

Excellent advice! Preston has pretty much nailed it. Let me add a
few more things.

Excercise: Exercise doesn't have to mean sweating it out in a gym for
hours on end. While you'll want to start lifting some weights and
maybe using some cardio machines in a gym, you can quite a lot of
exercise by walking, washing the car, walking the dog, using stairs
instead of elevators, always parking on the far end of parking lot,
doing manual yard work, riding a bike, roller blading, golfing, etc.
Just don't let yourself sit around... TURN OFF THE TV and go find
something to do. Find a hobby that keeps you moving... but do
something.

Whole grains: Let me ephasize whole grains, by saying if the first
ingredient doesn't say whole grain or 100% whole grain, then don't eat
it. And "Wheat flour" doesn't cut it. .. it's ****.

Refined sugar: Drastically reduce your consumption of refined sugar.
First, give up soda. They're calories that don't fill you up. This
move alone will knock off pounds. Fruit punches are also garbage.

Drinks: Here's your drink list.
Water (add a slice of lemon if you want some taste)
Skim milk or Soy milk ("Silk" in the red box tastes really good!)
Green tea
Small amounts of pure fruit juice

Meat: Make meat a side dish, not a main course. A serving size
shouldn't be any bigger than the back of your hand. Hot dogs,
sausages, and lunch meat are ****. Instead eat fish, lean turkey,
chicken and lean beef... game meat (dear, buffalo, etc. are also good
choices.

>> Were you hungry the whole time?

>I was never hungry. I'm still not.

I've been eating healthy (plus working out and staying active) for the
last 22 years. I'm now 41. My waist size is the same as it was when
I graduated from high school -- 31 inches. And my weight has only
increased 10 pounds, all of which is muscle. This year I ran a half
marathon (13 miles) in well under 2 hours without running more than 5
miles at a time in preparation. I attribute this performance to a
excellent diet.

Food is your fuel. Give your body crappy fuel and it won't perform for
****. But give a constant supply of the good stuff, and your energy
will soar.

Here's where you start:
1) Go to a doctor and get a complete physical to make sure you're
healthy.
2) Then buy some excellent walking shoes
3) Next, start cutting out the crappy food/drinks. Start reading
labels instead of price tags. Sometimes the good stuff will cost a
little more, but think of it this way... the good stuff is a lot
cheaper than medications and doctor visits.
4) Start walking/moving. On your free time, don't sit around... stay
active.

Do this for a couple months and you'll be amazed at the results.
Good luck.

Patrick

>IMHO formal nutrition education is full of myths that may, in time, be
>refuted. Do you really want to be an advocate for the food pyramid?

The formal nutrition education I know hasn't changed much over the
years.

Small amounts of vegetable oil and nuts
Some lean meats
Some skim/low-fat dairy
Lots of fruits and vegetables
Lots of whole grains

Works for me.

Patrick

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >On 2004-12-08, Cubit <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Here's where you start:

> 1) Go to a doctor and get a complete physical to make sure you're
> healthy.
> 2) Then buy some excellent walking shoes

What? Exercise? Damn heresy on this board. People want to lose weight
sitting on the couch playing video games and zero exertion. Fill in the
BS reason why the can't find the time and an exercise that compliments
their life style. When will people pull their heads out of that dark
region and note that simply being thin does not mean you are healthy any
more then some extra weight means your going out early. If you don't
add some basic exercise into your life, plan on a shity quality of life
while you're here and either an early departure or some very miserable
aging. The heart for instance, is a muscle. Simple inhaling and
exhaling is not exercise.

> 3) Next, start cutting out the crappy food/drinks. Start reading
> labels instead of price tags. Sometimes the good stuff will cost a
> little more, but think of it this way... the good stuff is a lot
> cheaper than medications and doctor visits.
> 4) Start walking/moving. On your free time, don't sit around... stay
> active.
>
> Do this for a couple months and you'll be amazed at the results.
> Good luck.

And we wonder why our kids are getting fatter - rhetorical. Take a look
at the direction they get from their parents. Hang out in a grocery
store some time ands witness the obese parents with the obese kids
pushing a basket of chips, dips, cookies, etc. It's too many calories
from too many simple sugars. And all these BS fad diets just add to the
confusion.

-DF