Careless Driving: The Courts Let The Public Down Again

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [email protected], Apr 8, 2006.

  1. In todays Glasgow Herald.
    "At Perth Sheriff Court yeserday, Reburn admitted he was not looking
    at the road while he was talking on the phone and reading a book laid
    open on his passenger seat." The Sheriff who imposed just 4 penaly
    points on Raeburns licence was criticised by The Scottish Campaign
    Against Irresponsible Drivers.
    A spokesman said "the lenient attitude taken by the court is
    incredible particularly when you consider he already had seven points
    on his licence "."
    "Sheriff Robert McCreadie let Raeburn keep his licence after hearing
    he would lose his 24,000 a year job if he was banned"

    The offence was commmitted in Burrell St in Crief. A look on
    streetmap showed this to be the main road through the town centre which
    I can say from experience is usually busy with traffic and pedestrians
    during daylight hours (no time given in the report but I'm assuming
    daylight if he could read a book on the passenger seat).
    This idiot was so engrossed in his book and phone call he
    presumably didn't notice he was driving past the police officers who
    witnessed this act of stupidity.
    It's a shame the courts failed to protect the rest of the
    population from him.

    Iain

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > In todays Glasgow Herald.

    In last night's Evening Standard was the tale of a man who parked his
    new 4x4 in a no parking area with his wheels on the pavement who was
    handed back a crushed cube of ex-4x4 by the Council :)

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  3. Paul Boyd

    Paul Boyd Guest

    On 08/04/2006 10:29, Tony Raven said,

    > In last night's Evening Standard was the tale of a man who parked his
    > new 4x4 in a no parking area with his wheels on the pavement who was
    > handed back a crushed cube of ex-4x4 by the Council :)

    Nice one! I wish my local council would do that :) Might encourage
    local B&Bs to provide proper parking, instead of having their residents
    leaving the arse end of their cars blocking the pavement. (Seaside town
    = lots of B&Bs = obstacle course walking into town)

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/