Careless me ignored the chain....

Lyly-Kim

Mar 11, 2006
Hi, I am kind of a newbie here, though I've started reading the posts here about a few weeks ago :)
Anyway, I have a red BMX bike (I'm 14, and planning on getting a new bike for my 15th birthday in a few months) and I haven't riden it for months due to harsh Australian weather, but now I am riding it again as autumn(fall) well and truly settles in and it is SO much cooler to bike...
Problem is, I noticed a cranking sort of sound as I was riding and after a little checking, I found my chain has, well, rusted and is quite dirty... you can blame me for it, I know :eek: So, any ideas on how I can possibly 'clean' my chain? I don't think it's broken or anything, just that is really dirty and may need to be 'lubricated', as you guys may call it? It may also be the pedals, but they work fine to me. I've searched but there doesn't seem to be any threads with cases like mine where the bike itself has kind of rusted and needs a cleaning job, which I will have to do soon...
Thanks for your help!

Scrub it with WD40 and some steel wool.
Then let it soak in white lightning for awhile.
Clean it off.
Apply some finish line teflon lube.

Or just buy a new one. KMC K710 will last FOREVER. Mines going on 2 years old and haven't snapped it yet. It has been smashed on all sorts of ledges and coping, too.

ToffoIsMe said:
Scrub it with WD40 and some steel wool.
Then let it soak in white lightning for awhile.
Clean it off.
Apply some finish line teflon lube.

Or just buy a new one. KMC K710 will last FOREVER. Mines going on 2 years old and haven't snapped it yet. It has been smashed on all sorts of ledges and coping, too.
OK, that sounds good, just need to convince my 'rents that we have to stock up on those supplies, I'll see what's available here.

I wouldn't do all that just for a rusty chain, unless it is actually seized, in which case it is stuffed. Just lubricate it with ordinary chain oil of your choice, wipe off the excess with a rag, and ride.