Carerra Fury

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Niven, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. Niven

    Niven Guest

    Hi there...

    Just a question for someone getting back into cycling after a couple
    of years out (early to mid twenties in the pub as you can guess)

    Basically what is the word on this kind of bike. To me the components
    are out of this world for the price compared to 15 years ago.

    Help and advice appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. Tumbleweed

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "Niven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi there...
    >
    > Just a question for someone getting back into cycling after a couple
    > of years out (early to mid twenties in the pub as you can guess)
    >
    > Basically what is the word on this kind of bike. To me the components
    > are out of this world for the price compared to 15 years ago.
    >
    > Help and advice appreciated.

    People here will heap scorn and derision upon anything from halfords

    --
    Tumbleweed

    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

  3. >People here will heap scorn and derision upon anything from halfords

    Not *anything*, they are okay for basics such as h*lm*ts and lights, but I'd
    *never* buy a bike from there willingly ever again.

    Cheers, helen s

  4. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Tumbleweed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > People here will heap scorn and derision upon anything from halfords

    google for carrera subway.

    clive

  5. On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:08:34 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Niven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Hi there...
    >>
    >> Just a question for someone getting back into cycling after a couple
    >> of years out (early to mid twenties in the pub as you can guess)
    >>
    >> Basically what is the word on this kind of bike. To me the components
    >> are out of this world for the price compared to 15 years ago.
    >>
    >> Help and advice appreciated.

    >People here will heap scorn and derision upon anything from halfords

    Er, no they don't. Halfords has been discussed numerous times and they
    seem to be no worse than any random sample of 400 LBS.

    I was dead cautious before I bought my latest bike from them (Carrera
    Subway 8 if you're new here) but they, and the bike, were fine.

  6. vernon levy

    vernon levy Guest

    > People here will heap scorn and derision upon anything from halfords

    Not true. I have nothing but praise for my Carrera Kraken SE mountain bike
    and for the quality of service from the Halfords branches in Leeds. The
    bike has had good reviews and other posters to the newsgroup have enjoyed
    the Carrera Subway bikes. Like all organisations the quality of provision
    and service is variable across the branches - not much different from local
    bike shops really.

  7. On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:43:06 +0100, "vernon levy" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >> People here will heap scorn and derision upon anything from halfords
    >>

    >Not true. I have nothing but praise for my Carrera Kraken SE mountain bike
    >and for the quality of service from the Halfords branches in Leeds. The
    >bike has had good reviews and other posters to the newsgroup have enjoyed
    >the Carrera Subway bikes. Like all organisations the quality of provision
    >and service is variable across the branches - not much different from local
    >bike shops really.

    Its hardly surprising really that this is true. People that think
    LBS's are good and Halfords are bad must live in a parallel universe
    as in my universe individual people vary enormously and I see no way a
    LBS could get all the best staff compared to Halfords. I think its
    important to be specific when you criticise Halfords pointing out
    which actual Halfords this is and not apply the criticism to all
    Halfords stores. What would be most helpful is pointing out which
    actual people are useless/unfriendly in a particular Halfords or LBS.

  8. Scottish Roadrunner

    Scottish Roadrunner New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2004
    I also have a Kraken SE I've had for about a year now and have now complaints whatsoever. I bought my road bike elsewhere though as our local branch didn't have much of a choice.

  9. On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 05:45:53 +1000, Margaret McC
    <[email protected]>:

    >I also have a Kraken SE I've had for about a year now and have now
    >complaints whatsoever.

    Just wait until it wakes...

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  10. Niven

    Niven Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 05:45:53 +1000, Margaret McC
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <Marga[email protected]>:
    >
    > >I also have a Kraken SE I've had for about a year now and have now
    > >complaints whatsoever.

    > Just wait until it wakes...
    >
    > Guy

    Thanks for your feedback folks. To be fair I have read a bit on here
    about dissing halfords, but as I haven't been totally out of the
    picture with fitness and cycling of late my feeling is that this is
    really for high level users. In my book that would be more serious
    club or mountain bike cyclists.

    The reason for this has something to do with my first post. That being
    that a bike for £500 nowadays has such good componentry that it seems
    hard to see that it wouldn't be good for a wide range of use.

    I feel that for some people the local shop can be a bit intimidating,

    But the thing is....does anyone rate this kind of bike in its own
    right. Aside of the Halfords issue?

  11. On 27 Sep 2004 10:05:38 -0700, [email protected] (Niven) wrote
    in message <[email protected]>:

    > I have read a bit on here
    >about dissing halfords, but as I haven't been totally out of the
    >picture with fitness and cycling of late my feeling is that this is
    >really for high level users. In my book that would be more serious
    >club or mountain bike cyclists.

    More to do woth the extreme variability of staff, actually, and the
    fact that at least some of the "bikes" they stop have depleted uranium
    frames and cheese components.

    I think you would be very unlucky to find a bad bike in my LBS. And
    equally unlucky to find a spanner-monkey who was unable to fettle your
    bike. Or a sales droid who was not well versed in the finer points of
    the products on offer. They also have more road bikes alone than the
    local Halfwits have total stock.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  12. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Niven
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 05:45:53 +1000, Margaret McC
    >> <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> <[email protected]>:
    >>
    >> >I also have a Kraken SE I've had for about a year now and have now
    >> >complaints whatsoever.

    >> Just wait until it wakes...

    > Thanks for your feedback folks. To be fair I have read a bit on here
    > about dissing halfords, but as I haven't been totally out of the
    > picture with fitness and cycling of late my feeling is that this is
    > really for high level users. In my book that would be more serious
    > club or mountain bike cyclists.
    >
    > The reason for this has something to do with my first post. That being
    > that a bike for £500 nowadays has such good componentry that it seems
    > hard to see that it wouldn't be good for a wide range of use.
    >
    > I feel that for some people the local shop can be a bit intimidating,
    >
    > But the thing is....does anyone rate this kind of bike in its own
    > right. Aside of the Halfords issue?

    This kind of bike... yes.

    A hardtail mountain bike is good for short blasts around off road trails
    including quite serious singletrack, and on off-road courses involving
    a lot of climbing especially technically challenging climbing is the
    best thing there is. Less good for all-day off-road rides and for fast
    technical descents than a full suspension bike, but LOTS cheaper.

    This specific bike... H'mmm.

    The frame (double butted 7005 aluminium) sounds at least OK. I can't
    find the detail specs for the Kraken SE on Halfords site, but the
    Suntour forks on the Kraken are pretty poor and the rest of the spec is
    by no means brilliant.

    If you're actually going to ride the machine off road then a better
    compromise at the price would be V brakes together with better forks -
    at least 100mm travel and ideally air sprung.

    /-\ You have discovered a security flaw in a Microsoft product. You
    |-| can report this issue to our security tesm. Would you like to
    | | * Be completely ignored (default)?
    | | * Receive a form email full of platitudes about how much we care?
    \_/ * Spend hours helping us fix this problem for free?

  13. Niven

    Niven Guest

    Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > in message <[email protected]>, Niven
    > ('[email protected]oo.co.uk') wrote:
    >
    > > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 05:45:53 +1000, Margaret McC
    > >> <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > >> Just wait until it wakes...

    > > Thanks for your feedback folks. To be fair I have read a bit on here
    > > about dissing halfords, but as I haven't been totally out of the
    > > picture with fitness and cycling of late my feeling is that this is
    > > really for high level users. In my book that would be more serious
    > > club or mountain bike cyclists.
    > >
    > > The reason for this has something to do with my first post. That being
    > > that a bike for £500 nowadays has such good componentry that it seems
    > > hard to see that it wouldn't be good for a wide range of use.
    > >
    > > I feel that for some people the local shop can be a bit intimidating,
    > >
    > > But the thing is....does anyone rate this kind of bike in its own
    > > right. Aside of the Halfords issue?

    > This kind of bike... yes.
    >
    > A hardtail mountain bike is good for short blasts around off road trails
    > including quite serious singletrack, and on off-road courses involving
    > a lot of climbing especially technically challenging climbing is the
    > best thing there is. Less good for all-day off-road rides and for fast
    > technical descents than a full suspension bike, but LOTS cheaper.
    >
    > This specific bike... H'mmm.
    >
    > The frame (double butted 7005 aluminium) sounds at least OK. I can't
    > find the detail specs for the Kraken SE on Halfords site, but the
    > Suntour forks on the Kraken are pretty poor and the rest of the spec is
    > by no means brilliant.
    >
    > If you're actually going to ride the machine off road then a better
    > compromise at the price would be V brakes together with better forks -
    > at least 100mm travel and ideally air sprung.

    Cheers for your time everyone