Cargo Rack on MTB - Considerations?

In article <[email protected]>, Michael J. Klein
<[email protected]> writes:

>I asked my LBS about putting a rear cargo rack on my new
>Yukon MTB. He said that nobody does that, and it would
>limit my use of the bike for off-roading.

How so? Is it a fully suspended bike? If not, or if the rack
you are looking at doesn't inhibit the suspension, I too
would say it's time to find a different LBS. What would the
concern be? Stick getting caught in the rack? What about a
stick in the spokes? Side clearance? The rider sticks out
more than a rack.

> The reason that I have an MTB for street use is the nature
> of the roads here. Often they are un-improved and
> differing levels which I feel could be more easily
> negotiated by a mountain bike rather than a road/comfort
> bike. Given that I don't use it for actual hardcore off-
> roading, are there any other considerations about mounting
> a rear cargo rack on my MTB, other than it looking
> retarded?

What is more retarded, an MTB that is made more suitable for
the owner's purpose and used or a shiny Ti, fully suspended,
XTRed MTB that is sitting in the garage collecting dust?

My MTB, which is being used the way you are talking of using
yours, has racks front and rear AND fenders. The last time I
got caught out in a wet spring snow on an errand the fenders
became a priority that was fullfilled pronto.

Put the rack on it. If you are thinking of heavy use touring
in the future consider a premium rack like a Bruce Gordon or
a Tubus. If it just banging around town on poor roads with
light loads a Blackburn would serve well for many years.

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

Michael J. Klein <[email protected]> wrote:

>I asked my LBS about putting a rear cargo rack on my new
>Yukon MTB. He said that nobody does that, and it would
>limit my use of the bike for off-roading. The reason that I
>have an MTB for street use is the nature of the roads here.
>Often they are un-improved and differing levels which I
>feel could be more easily negotiated by a mountain bike
>rather than a road/comfort bike. Given that I don't use it
>for actual hardcore off-roading, are there any other
>considerations about mounting a rear cargo rack on my MTB,
>other than it looking retarded?

There's nothing "retarded" about a bike being used in a
utilitarian manner - few things are actually as
"unretarded".

FWIW, I've been using a Delta seatpost mount rack for a
couple years, and find it works very, very well. It places
the rack a couple inches higher than it would be ideally,
but that's a very small price to pay for the ability to "de-
rack" the bike in seconds should I want to take it off-road
in anger. The rack will handle up to 25 pounds (11.5kg),
which is more than I'd ever be likely to put on it.

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of
the $695 ti frame

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:03:46 +0100, "Doki" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Michael J. Klein wrote:
>> I asked my LBS about putting a rear cargo rack on my new
>> Yukon MTB. He said that nobody does that, and it would
>> limit my use of the bike for off-roading. The reason that
>> I have an MTB for street use is the nature of the roads
>> here. Often they are un-improved and differing levels
>> which I feel could be more easily negotiated by a
>> mountain bike rather than a road/comfort bike. Given that
>> I don't use it for actual hardcore off-roading, are there
>> any other considerations about mounting a rear cargo rack
>> on my MTB, other than it looking retarded?
>
>I fitted a rear rack to my Giant MTB the other week. It
>rattles a bit over bumps, but I most likely need to tighten
>up a couple of nuts and perhaps stick some blutac or tape
>on some of the fixings that resonate a bit. The only
>problem I have with it is that you can't fit the rear rack
>on and a crud catcher. So you get a muddy / wet back. The
>rack could perhaps foul the wheel if you fitted it very
>close and had massive tyres on, and collected lots of mud.
>But you'd have to fit it really stupidly to get it to foul
>before the frame.
>
>You could always fit a seatpost rack, but they won't hold
>as much weight.

Thanks for the info. The rack just bolted on using the
existing mounting holes, right?

Michael J. Klein [email protected] Dasi Jen, Taoyuan
Hsien, Taiwan, ROC Please replace mousepotato with
asiancastings

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:31:22 GMT, "Iguana" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Michael J. Klein wrote:
>> I asked my LBS about putting a rear cargo rack on my new
>> Yukon MTB. He said that nobody does that, and it would
>> limit my use of the bike for off-roading. The reason that
>> I have an MTB for street use is the nature of the roads
>> here. Often they are un-improved and differing levels
>> which I feel could be more easily negotiated by a
>> mountain bike rather than a road/comfort bike. Given that
>> I don't use it for actual hardcore off-roading, are there
>> any other considerations about mounting a rear cargo rack
>> on my MTB, other than it looking retarded?
>>
>> Michael J. Klein [email protected] Dasi Jen, Taoyuan
>> Hsien, Taiwan, ROC Please replace mousepotato with
>> asiancastings
>
>You wouldn't want a rack if:
>
>- Your bike is full suspension(I don't know if a Yukon is)

Suntour front suspension fork, hardtail frame. No rear
suspension.

>- You bike singletrack in dense bush and trees, the rack
> will almost certainly get caught.

Man, I'm 48 and just started riding again. It'll be
awhile before I ride with the Formosa Fat Tire
Association, but thanks for pointing that out! The rack
sure would get caught.

>(And, a traditional screw-down rack may not fit if you have
>disc brakes.)

No disc brakes on this particular model Yukon.

>I had a screw-down rack on my wife's first MTB, which was
>used only on fire roads and rail trail. Not a problem.

Cool.

>For my MTB, I have a seatpost rack with quick release: goes
>on when I do fire roads and touring off-road; comes off
>when I am riding technical trails.

That makes a lot of sense.

Good information, thanks.

Michael J. Klein [email protected] Dasi Jen, Taoyuan
Hsien, Taiwan, ROC Please replace mousepotato with
asiancastings

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:56:56 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:03:46 +0100, <2k56mhF184jpsU1@uni-
>berlin.de>, "Doki" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>The only problem I have with it is that you can't fit
>>the rear rack on and a crud catcher. So you get a muddy
>>/ wet back.
>
>The most common solution seen around here is the Rear
>Deflector Shield
>
>http://www.ratail.com/rear.html

I'm learning a lot, thanks!

On 26 Jun 2004 10:56:16 EDT, [email protected] wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:45:45 +0800, Michael J. Klein
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 04:24:33 GMT, Jose Rizal <_@_._>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Michael J. Klein:

>>>You suspect correctly.
>>
>>Time to go looking around. There are several places in my
>>neighborhood which have them :) Thanks Jose.
>>
>>Michael J. Klein [email protected] Dasi Jen, Taoyuan
>>Hsien, Taiwan, ROC Please replace mousepotato with
>>asiancastings
>>---------------------------------------------
>
>There are a lot of considerations, do you have eyelets
>brazed to your rear stays? There are other mounting methods
>for rear racks such as

Yes, there are. There is a bottom hole and also an slotted
opening on either side.

>seat post mounting but the most common and ruggedest
>mounting method

There are mounting bosses below the seatpost.

>uses rear stay eyelets. I would definately buy a rack made
>of tig welded aluminum tubing rather than a wire rack. The
>tubing is stronger and lighter and they don't rattle. I
>bought an inexpensive

Oh, that's good information!

>Delta universal rack that will fit a 24 inch MTB if the
>rear stays have eyelets. The only extra mounting work I
>had with the universal rack was that I had to drill out
>the support bracket holes to the size of my seat post
>pinch bolt.

That doesn't sound too bad.

Thanks!

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:02:58 GMT, "curt" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Bought one from Nashbar. It was pretty cheap, holds up to
>40 lbs and certainly doesn't rattle. I see these racks all
>over town on mtb's, not sure what the big deal is? Sure
>they add weight, but so what if you need some utility. It
>was a great investment.
>
>Curt
>

>"Michael J. Klein" <[email protected]> wrote in
>message news:[email protected]...
>> I asked my LBS about putting a rear cargo rack on my new
>> Yukon MTB. He said that nobody does that, and it would
>> limit my use of the bike for off-roading. The reason that
>> I have an MTB for street use is the nature of the roads
>> here. Often they are un-improved and differing levels
>> which I feel could be more easily negotiated by a
>> mountain bike rather than a road/comfort bike. Given that
>> I don't use it for actual hardcore off-roading, are there
>> any other considerations about mounting a rear cargo rack
>> on my MTB, other than it looking retarded?
>>
>> Michael J. Klein [email protected] Dasi Jen, Taoyuan
>> Hsien, Taiwan, ROC Please replace mousepotato with
>> asiancastings

That's how I look at it too Curt. I'm now just trying to
find the one that I want.

Michael J. Klein [email protected] Dasi Jen, Taoyuan
Hsien, Taiwan, ROC Please replace mousepotato with
asiancastings

On 26 Jun 2004 08:36:40 -0700, [email protected] (Russell
Seaton) wrote:

>http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm Go to SJS
>Cycles website and look under Carriers and Racks, Rack
>fitting kits.

OK, thanks.

>You will get examples of the different parts used to attach
>rear racks to your mountain bike or any bike. I am assuming
>you don't have eyelets at the rear dropouts and braze ons
>at the top of the seatstays. If you have eyelets at the
>rear dropouts and braze ons at the top of the seat stays,
>they you can just bolt on any rack you want. My Raleigh
>M600 from 1999 has the required eyelets and braze ons for a
>rear rack. I have a Blackburn Expedition rack on my
>mountain bike.

I do have eyelets and bosses for mounting. The bosses on the
seat stays have rubber plugs to keep them clean. I'm very
happy to see that, in fact.

>So your bike shop guy was lying when he said nobody puts a
>rear rack on a mountain bike. Please ask him to explain how
>a rear rack will limit the bike's use for off roading.

Lying is a pretty harsh statement, don't you think?
Remember, this is not the United States. He said that no one
"in Taiwan" puts racks on MTBs. He has racks and he could
have sold me one right there if I had asked. I just asked
for his advice, that's all.

In Taiwan appearances are everything. Let me give you 3
examples. You will see people walking around with lanyards
and their company ID cards hanging from their necks. They
never take them off. Its because if you have a company ID
card, it means you are "professional." On TV, you never,
ever see lav mics. You only see big fat ball microphones,
handheld no matter what the hosts are doing. Microphones
like that mean "host" and if you don't have one you aren't
"important" enough to have one. So, you'll see people on
stage who are holding big fat ball mics for the sole purpose
of placing them in front of their mouth when they laugh at
the host's jokes.

The last example is the most telling. You can go to any
swimming pool and find dozens of fit men, wearing speedos,
with racer's swim caps and goggles. None of them can swim.
In fact, there isn't a pool on Taiwan deeper than 1.5 meters
due to the national fear of drowning (yeah, I know, its an
island). These guys can't swim, but they all need to look
like they can. MTB owners don't ride off-road, but they need
to look like they can. This is also why everyone here always
says "hallow" to me when I ride by. They want me to think
they can speak English.

Appearances are everything in Taiwan. Foreigners wear
helmets when riding on the street, but not Taiwanese. A
foreigner might put a rack on a MTB (this one will) but
Taiwanese don't put racks on their mountain bikes because
they probably belive that it doesn't look off-roadworthy.
Since I live here, and we were talking in Chinese, he told
me the story from the Taiwanese point of view. This same guy
replaced my BB after it went bad in 4 days, on the same
afternoon when I showed up unannounced. He is a good guy.

The limitations of the rack for off roading have been talked
about in this thread already.

>Michael J. Klein <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> I asked my LBS about putting a rear cargo rack on my new
>> Yukon MTB. He said that nobody does that, and it would
>> limit my use of the bike for off-roading. The reason that
>> I have an MTB for street use is the nature of the roads
>> here. Often they are un-improved and differing levels
>> which I feel could be more easily negotiated by a
>> mountain bike rather than a road/comfort bike. Given that
>> I don't use it for actual hardcore off-roading, are there
>> any other considerations about mounting a rear cargo rack
>> on my MTB, other than it looking retarded?
>>
>> Michael J. Klein [email protected] Dasi Jen, Taoyuan
>> Hsien, Taiwan, ROC Please replace mousepotato with
>> asiancastings

Michael J. Klein [email protected] Dasi Jen, Taoyuan
Hsien, Taiwan, ROC Please replace mousepotato with
asiancastings

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:16:06 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:04:16 +0800, Michael J. Klein
><[email protected]> wrote in message
><[email protected]>:
>
>>I asked my LBS about putting a rear cargo rack on my new
>>Yukon MTB. He said that nobody does that, and it would
>>limit my use of the bike for off-roading.
>
>He lied.

Please read my response to this accusation in another
reply post.

>I have a rack on my MTB and so do lots of other people I
>know. The Yukon is a hartail, right? The rack will not
>be in the

Yes it is.

>way. Only if you wanted to hang right over the rear wheel
>in extreme descents would it be an issue - and in that case
>you'd probably be on the wrong bike anyway ;-)

Not only that, but it would be the wrong rider in the
wrong decade!

>>The reason that I have an MTB for street use is the nature
>>of the roads here. Often they are un-improved and
>>differing levels which I feel could be more easily
>>negotiated by a mountain bike rather than a road/comfort
>>bike. Given that I don't use it for actual hardcore off-
>>roading, are there any other considerations about mounting
>>a rear cargo rack on my MTB, other than it looking
>>retarded?
>
>None, probably. I had to use P-clips on my MTB because the
>rack I had spare didn't have a brake bridge mounting bar,
>you can get three-point mounting racks which bolt to the
>brake bridge if you don't have braze-ons. You might have
>trouble if you don't have eyelets, but I've never seen a
>bike which didn't have at least one set of eyelets.
>Sometimes you get single eyelets and have to share the
>bolt with the mudguards [fenders] and sometimes you get
>double eyelets.

On the left side are eyelets for the disc brake option
(which I do not have) and then underneath that is both an
eyelet (threaded boss, really) and an actual slotted
eyelet beneath that on either side). The seat stays have
capped threades bosses. It looks like a rack should just
bolt right on.

>As to looking dorky, well, I'm not qualified to
>comment. We have

I already look dorky just standing around doing nothing. Add
a bike, and it gets worse. Like I care! lol

>seven active bikes in the family (4 MTBs, one tourer,
>a recumbent and a triplet) and every one is fitted
>with a rack.

Its a very practical accessory if you use your bike for
anything other than just riding a course.

Thanks Guy.

Michael J. Klein [email protected] Dasi Jen, Taoyuan
Hsien, Taiwan, ROC Please replace mousepotato with
asiancastings

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:25:57 GMT, "Peter Cole"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Michael J. Klein" <[email protected]> wrote in
>message news:[email protected]...
>> I asked my LBS about putting a rear cargo rack on my new
>> Yukon MTB. He said that nobody does that, and it would
>> limit my use of the bike for off-roading. The reason that
>> I have an MTB for street use is the nature of the roads
>> here. Often they are un-improved and differing levels
>> which I feel could be more easily negotiated by a
>> mountain bike rather than a road/comfort bike. Given that
>> I don't use it for actual hardcore off-roading, are there
>> any other considerations about mounting a rear cargo rack
>> on my MTB, other than it looking retarded?
>
>Nah, most MTB's have the fittings for racks. Fenders are
>probably not a good idea if you go off-road (they tend to
>pick up sticks and crumple and jam), but racks are fine. If
>you're going to stick to the streets, I'd get fenders, rack

I was thinking about the fenders becoming necessary at
some point.

>and folding pannier. MTB's make great bad-road bikes -- try
>installing your

That's where my head was - bad road negotiation!

>own accessories, then you won't have to suffer random
>opinions...

I still have to suffer from all the opinons on the NG
though! lol

I've learned a lot from the people who frequent USENET,
that's for sure.

On 26 Jun 2004 21:00:15 GMT, [email protected] (TBGibb) wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>Michael J. Klein <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>I asked my LBS about putting a rear cargo rack on my new
>>Yukon MTB. He said that nobody does that, and it would
>>limit my use of the bike for off-roading.
>
>How so? Is it a fully suspended bike? If not, or if the
>rack you are looking at doesn't inhibit the suspension, I
>too would say it's time to find a different LBS. What would
>the concern be? Stick getting caught in the rack? What
>about a stick in the spokes? Side clearance? The rider
>sticks out more than a rack.
>
>> The reason that I have an MTB for street use is the
>> nature of the roads here. Often they are un-improved and
>> differing levels which I feel could be more easily
>> negotiated by a mountain bike rather than a road/comfort
>> bike. Given that I don't use it for actual hardcore off-
>> roading, are there any other considerations about
>> mounting a rear cargo rack on my MTB, other than it
>> looking retarded?
>
>What is more retarded, an MTB that is made more suitable
>for the owner's purpose and used or a shiny Ti, fully
>suspended, XTRed MTB that is sitting in the garage
>collecting dust?

To a Taiwanese, it would look even better sitting there in
the garage if it has something with "BMW" on it.

I happen to agree with you.

>My MTB, which is being used the way you are talking of
>using yours, has racks front and rear AND fenders. The last
>time I got caught out in a wet spring snow on an errand the
>fenders became a priority that was fullfilled pronto.

Yeah I'll bet. Prevention of that "racing stripe" up your
back sounds like a pretty high priority after that.

You touched on something else. I was going to ask about
front racks too, but I was going to wait until I read about
rear rack opinions first, lol.

>Put the rack on it. If you are thinking of heavy use
>touring in the future consider a premium rack like a Bruce
>Gordon or a Tubus. If it just banging around town on poor
>roads with light loads a Blackburn would serve well for
>many years.

As of yet, I have no idea what is available here. I'm just
going to have to take a look around.

Thanks.

Michael J. Klein [email protected] Dasi Jen, Taoyuan
Hsien, Taiwan, ROC Please replace mousepotato with
asiancastings

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:20:15 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Michael J. Klein <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I asked my LBS about putting a rear cargo rack on my new
>>Yukon MTB. He said that nobody does that, and it would
>>limit my use of the bike for off-roading. The reason that
>>I have an MTB for street use is the nature of the roads
>>here. Often they are un-improved and differing levels
>>which I feel could be more easily negotiated by a mountain
>>bike rather than a road/comfort bike. Given that I don't
>>use it for actual hardcore off-roading, are there any
>>other considerations about mounting a rear cargo rack on
>>my MTB, other than it looking retarded?
>
>There's nothing "retarded" about a bike being used in a
>utilitarian manner - few things are actually as
>"unretarded".

Agreed.

>FWIW, I've been using a Delta seatpost mount rack for a
>couple years, and find it works very, very well. It places
>the rack a couple inches higher than it would be ideally,
>but that's a very small price to pay for the ability to "de-
>rack" the bike in seconds should I want to take it off-road
>in anger. The rack will handle up to 25 pounds (11.5kg),
>which is more than I'd ever be likely to put on it.

Good information, thanks Mark.

Michael J. Klein [email protected] Dasi Jen, Taoyuan
Hsien, Taiwan, ROC Please replace mousepotato with
asiancastings

> I asked my LBS about putting a rear cargo rack on my new
> Yukon MTB. He said that nobody does that, and it would
> limit my use of the bike for off-roading.

He's wrong on both counts. Here's a photo of my MTB with a
rear rack:

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7403/montagu1.jpg

> are there any other considerations about mounting a rear
> cargo rack on my MTB, other than it looking retarded?

Does my bike look retarded to you, Cowboy?

--
Robots don't kill people -- people kill people.
http://www.irobotmovie.com/

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 15:12:56 +0800, Michael J. Klein
<[email protected]>:

>On the left side are eyelets for the disc brake option
>(which I do not have) and then underneath that is both an
>eyelet (threaded boss, really) and an actual slotted eyelet
>beneath that on either side). The seat stays have capped
>threades bosses. It looks like a rack should just bolt
>right on.

Sounds like it. Good :) Welcome to Dorkland :-D

>Its a very practical accessory if you use your bike for
>anything other than just riding a course.

Sure is. And you can always pull the rack off if you do want
to use the bike for somethign more spirited - see
<url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk>

Guy
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 15:15:03 +0800, Michael J. Klein
<[email protected]>:

>I was thinking about the fenders becoming necessary at
>some point.

The point being, around here, September :)

"Iguana" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Michael J. Klein wrote:
> > I asked my LBS about putting a rear cargo rack on my new
> > Yukon MTB. He said that nobody does that, and it would
> > limit my use of the bike for off-roading. The reason
> > that I have an MTB for street use is the nature of the
> > roads here. Often they are un-improved and differing
> > levels which I feel could be more easily negotiated by a
> > mountain bike rather than a road/comfort bike. Given
> > that I don't use it for actual hardcore off-roading, are
> > there any other considerations about mounting a rear
> > cargo rack on my MTB, other than it looking retarded?
> >
> > Michael J. Klein [email protected] Dasi Jen,
> > Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC Please replace mousepotato
> > with asiancastings
>
> You wouldn't want a rack if:
>
> - Your bike is full suspension(I don't know if a Yukon is)
> - You bike singletrack in dense bush and trees, the rack
> will almost certainly get caught.

That's why I removed my handlebars, always getting caught in
things. I just steer with the stem.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:47:46 +0800, Michael J. Klein
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:02:58 GMT, "curt"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Bought one from Nashbar. It was pretty cheap, holds up to
>>40 lbs and certainly doesn't rattle. I see these racks all
>>over town on mtb's, not sure what the big deal is? Sure
>>they add weight, but so what if you need some utility. It
>>was a great investment.
>>
>>Curt
>>

>>"Michael J. Klein" <[email protected]> wrote in
>>message news:[email protected]...
>>> I asked my LBS about putting a rear cargo rack on my new
>>> Yukon MTB. He said that nobody does that, and it would
>>> limit my use of the bike for off-roading. The reason
>>> that I have an MTB for street use is the nature of the
>>> roads here. Often they are un-improved and differing
>>> levels which I feel could be more easily negotiated by a
>>> mountain bike rather than a road/comfort bike. Given
>>> that I don't use it for actual hardcore off-roading, are
>>> there any other considerations about mounting a rear
>>> cargo rack on my MTB, other than it looking retarded?
>>>
>>> Michael J. Klein [email protected] Dasi Jen,
>>> Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC Please replace mousepotato
>>> with asiancastings
>
>That's how I look at it too Curt. I'm now just trying to
>find the one that I want.
>
>Michael J. Klein [email protected] Dasi Jen, Taoyuan
>Hsien, Taiwan, ROC Please replace mousepotato with
>asiancastings

Nashbar is having a sale on some of their lower end racks
with mud guards. I paid a little extra for the Delta rack
since the load capacity was higher and it had lots of tie
down points. The built in fender works great and prevents
striping with my 32 mm road tires.

http://tinyurl.com/2qbvh

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:11:06 GMT, "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> > I asked my LBS about putting a rear cargo rack on my
>> > new Yukon MTB. He said that nobody does that, and it
>> > would limit my use of the bike for off-roading.
>
>****, a rack does not significantly alter handling, no more
>than a 1 litre water bottle, we have ridden a lot of
>singletrack with racks. http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/singletra-
>ck2000/SingleTrack2000.htm Tubus
>http://www.tubus.net/eng/index.php are the best.

Relax, Per, it was only a suggestion. The trials here aren't
exactly easy. We were talking in Chinese and the implication
was more of what I might be carrying on the rack, rather
than the rack itself.

http://www.formosanfattire.com/trails/

Others have mentioned tubus to me also. What it comes down
to is what is available in this country. I also have the
option of designing my own here in the manufacturing Mecca
of the world. Michael J. Klein [email protected] Dasi

On 27 Jun 2004 05:12:22 -0700, [email protected] (R.White) wrote:

>"Iguana" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:-
><[email protected]
>s.com>...
>> Michael J. Klein wrote:
>> > I asked my LBS about putting a rear cargo rack on my
>> > new Yukon MTB. He said that nobody does that, and it
>> > would limit my use of the bike for off-roading. The
>> > reason that I have an MTB for street use is the nature
>> > of the roads here. Often they are un-improved and
>> > differing levels which I feel could be more easily
>> > negotiated by a mountain bike rather than a
>> > road/comfort bike. Given that I don't use it for actual
>> > hardcore off-roading, are there any other
>> > considerations about mounting a rear cargo rack on my
>> > MTB, other than it looking retarded?
>> >
>> > Michael J. Klein [email protected] Dasi Jen,
>> > Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC Please replace mousepotato
>> > with asiancastings
>>
>> You wouldn't want a rack if:
>>
>> - Your bike is full suspension(I don't know if a
>> Yukon is)
>> - You bike singletrack in dense bush and trees, the rack
>> will almost certainly get caught.
>
>That's why I removed my handlebars, always getting caught
>in things. I just steer with the stem.

I've heard of that. Usually the rider is removed shortly
thereafter either as a precaution or as a result.