cargo trailers?

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 01:27:56 GMT,
<[email protected]>, maxo
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> But carrying anyone's grandmother in any one wheel trailer, no
>> matter how tiny she is not a good idea

>LOL, true. Come to think of it, It *was* a two wheel trailer with a
>flatbed. Perhaps a burley or one of those "bikes at work" type trailers.
>
>Grandma was wearing a dinosaur helmet and seemed very pleased with the
>arrangement. :p

Yesterday's pedal-powered wedding saw a variety of trailers configured
for hauling people's grannies and grandpas. The bishop rode in an
upholstered Ikea lounge chair on the front of Martin's tadpole cargo
trike with the sunshade. Martin also brought a delta cargo trike with
a stake bed for carrying granny. Grandpa rode on a plastic patio chair
affixed to a flat bed trailer. Lee's chariot carried a plastic patio
love seat as did another wide trailer. Each transported two people and
got assists towing them up a few of the hills There were three other
flat bed trailers with canvas sling chairs attached. Donald hauled 400
pints of home brew to the reception in his monster trailer. Gavin's
long trailer carried water and refreshments for the ride to the park
where the ceremony was held.

Jane and Rusl's wedding bells were 140+ bike bells.
--
zk

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 11:23:55 -0700, Zoot Katz wrote:

> Jane and Rusl's wedding bells were 140+ bike bells.

That sounds like quite the weddingpalloooza!

Any pictures you'd care to share?

:D

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 19:44:28 GMT,
<[email protected]>, maxo
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 11:23:55 -0700, Zoot Katz wrote:
>
>> Jane and Rusl's wedding bells were 140+ bike bells.

>That sounds like quite the weddingpalloooza!

It certainly was. Everybody there will have lasting fond memories of
that wedding. Some of the guests hadn't ridden in years but everybody
made it. Many of the cheering people along the route might remember it
as "the day Critical Mass got married". What was most impressive is
seeing so many people dressed up in their finery and riding bicycles.

>Any pictures you'd care to share?
>
>:D

I'm sure there will eventually be pics posted. There were plenty of
cameras present including Bob, our cinematographer, journalist, and I
joke, "anthropologist"*. He's making a documentary exploring the
social aspects of people bicycling as a lifestyle.

The bride and groom arrived on the sociable quad they'd just finished
building and painting. When they got off, a bunch of us rushed the
newest freak bike more or less ignoring them! After the ceremony they
had tin cans and a "Just Married" sign tied to the back. Everything
was really quite traditional.
--
zk

ie wrote:
> 10-4 the hitch....I hadn't thought of that yet...actually, fairly
> significant considering I am all torso, no legs so I only have about a 3/4
> of an inch of seatpost showing....a seat post hitch is out. Now, if someone
> made a suspension seatpost for stokers that needs only 3/4 "....
> tx!
> ie
>
> . FWIW, if you decide to build instead of buy
> > begin your design phase with a clear idea of how you'll hitch the
> > trailer to the bike. Starting with the hitch will make a lot of your
> > design decisions for you. I found it was easier and cheaper to buy a
> > hitch assembly rather than try to fabricate my own.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Bob Hunt

IMO, for both efficiency and stability the trailer should attach to the
bike much lower than at seatpost level either via a chainstay hitch or
a dropout mount by using longer skewers. (I'm assuming it's a QR axle.)
Leo L's use of what sounds like rubber tubing to accomplish a
"flexible" attachment sounds interesting. I don't know what the life
expectancy of such a hitch would be though. Maybe he can tell us?

Regards,
Bob Hunt

"Bob" wrote: (clip) Leo L's use of what sounds like rubber tubing to
accomplish a "flexible" attachment sounds interesting. I don't know what the
life expectancy of such a hitch would be though. Maybe he can tell us?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
While some kind of rubber tubing (like auto heater hose) ought to work, the
tubing I used was actually clear plastic. I never saw any signs of
deterioration, but that may be because I did not use the trailer a lot.
Also, I can't comment on the handling, because:
1.) I never carried heavy loads.
2.) I never took long trips or rode fast with the trailer.
3.) I never used any other trailer to compare it with. I CAN say that I
did not notice any difficulty in riding, other than the added drag. I
pulled it off-road for a picnic once, and that worked just fine.

Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "Bob" wrote: (clip) Leo L's use of what sounds like rubber tubing to
> accomplish a "flexible" attachment sounds interesting. I don't know what the
> life expectancy of such a hitch would be though. Maybe he can tell us?
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> While some kind of rubber tubing (like auto heater hose) ought to work, the
> tubing I used was actually clear plastic. I never saw any signs of
> deterioration, but that may be because I did not use the trailer a lot.
> Also, I can't comment on the handling, because:
> 1.) I never carried heavy loads.
> 2.) I never took long trips or rode fast with the trailer.
> 3.) I never used any other trailer to compare it with. I CAN say that I
> did not notice any difficulty in riding, other than the added drag. I
> pulled it off-road for a picnic once, and that worked just fine.

It sounds like you may have built your trailer just because you could
and building things is fun. There's certainly nothing wrong with that.
That's basically why I built mine. Although it should carry up to 100
lbs with ease, I doubt it will ever haul much more than 50. <g>

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Bob wrote:

> Leo L's use of what sounds like rubber tubing to accomplish a
> "flexible" attachment sounds interesting. I don't know what the life
> expectancy of such a hitch would be though. Maybe he can tell us?

Our Burley Solo uses a flexible round rubber strap to allow twisting
(bike leaning, trailer not) and up/down movements. Pivoting left to
right is accomplished with a hinge.

Rich

LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m <[email protected]> wrote:

> For those purposes, we prefer folding bicycle baskets, either wire or
> cloth. They're a fraction the cost and weight of a trailer, reasonably
> inconspicuous when folded, and hold two shopping bags full of goods.
> We've also used trailers [BOB and Bykaboose] when we needed the larger
> carrying capacity, but the baskets are a lot more convenient.

I've got two of the wald folding baskets setup on my shopping bike.
They suffice for about 90% of my shopping needs. I generally only need
the trailer if I'm hitting the grocery store for a big trip to stock up
on non-perishables or if I'm bringing my older daughter along. [1]

[1] Bicycle bye-bye daddy?!?

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"I figure if I kill the first one, the word will get out."

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 19:44:28 GMT,
<[email protected]>, maxo
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 11:23:55 -0700, Zoot Katz wrote:
>
>> Jane and Rusl's wedding bells were 140+ bike bells.

>That sounds like quite the weddingpalloooza!
>
>Any pictures you'd care to share?
>
>:D

Tony posted this slide show. (119 photos)
Requires a fast connection and some kind of flash ****.
http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=freetoeknee&P=A0E5&AID=2631072&Show=Y

Check out the bride and groom's quad made from two tandems.
--
zk

Zoot Katz wrote:
> Sun, 17 Jul 2005 19:44:28 GMT,
> <[email protected]>, maxo
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 11:23:55 -0700, Zoot Katz wrote:
>>
>>> Jane and Rusl's wedding bells were 140+ bike bells.

>> That sounds like quite the weddingpalloooza!
>>
>> Any pictures you'd care to share?

> Tony posted this slide show. (119 photos)
> Requires a fast connection and some kind of flash ****.
> http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=freetoeknee&P=A0E5&AID=2631072&Show=Y
>
> Check out the bride and groom's quad made from two tandems.

I could only handle about 40 seconds' worth -- a tad sappy but still pretty
cool. (Zoot cleans up good, BTW.)

Wow some people are REALLY in to bikes... BS

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:

>Don Wiss wrote:
>>Zoot Katz wrote:

>>>Tony posted this slide show. (119 photos)
>>>Requires a fast connection and some kind of flash ****.
>>>http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=freetoeknee&P=A0E5&AID=2631072&Show=Y
>>>
>>>Check out the bride and groom's quad made from two tandems.

>>I can't. I refuse to install Flash **** on my system.

>yup, I watched it on somebody else's machine.

Good idea. My work PC has it. Let me e-mail the link to there now...