Carlos Sastre a man of principle...

tonyzackery

Dec 23, 2006
Sastre Blasts The Press For Disrespect | Cyclingnews.com

Of any pro cyclist I could possibly get behind and support, he would be my guy. The man obviously speaks from heart and with conviction.

Pro cycling needs to look at the disparity in talent amongst the teams and look to even the playing field. There needs to be parity - a situation where result is not a foregone conclusion. Does this mean salary cap? I don't know, but along with eradicating the doping problem, pro cycling desperately needs to foster some spontaneity and uncertainty into the formula of producing these racing events for the entertainment of the public...The bobblehead announcers on Versus can only do so much in trying to create false suspense and drama.

Apparently, Sastre feels the same way many cycling spectators feel about this year's tour...

My $0.02CAN worth...

I understand your reaction, but I don't know if I can share it in this case. As the author implies in the last paragaph, it's difficult to figure out exactly what he's *****ing about. That he doesn't get "respect" for being the reigning Tour winner, as he speaks to a gaggle of journalists there to hear what he has to say? That the Tour is "boring" because he's not in realistic contention? What does he mean with his comments of Sunday's stage? He has a problem if a team decides to keep more than one rider out front? . . . Very disjointed, confusing points of view, IMO. I've always liked Sastre, but what "principle" is he espousing here?

From the attached article:

"I think it's more important [to help people in need] than to win the Tour de France. When I won the Tour de France, it was like… nothing. But when you do something for a person who needs help, they give you a lot of things. You don't need to be a star – you need to be just a person. I feel happier doing something for people who really need something than for people who don't need anything. That is the difference," he said.

A man of sincerity and priciple...The guy's got his head on straight and feet on the ground. Was Armstrong's comeback really about cancer awareness?

It's pretty clear to me Sastre's issue(s) with the tour in general: 1) The defending champion was relegated to 'side show' status by LA; 2) Pro cycling grand tours are boring events (for racers and spectators) because the strongest teams win predominantly and can dominate when they desire.

The CN reporter, IMO, took some offense to Sastre's comments about his lack of respect from reporters covering the tour and felt it necessary to defend his fellow journalists. Apparently, the comments stepped on reporter's toes...

Sastre is right. It is a BORING race. It will never get better until cycling fans stop slobbering over a few celebrities like little children and start looking at the race as it really is. Just because it involves bicycles doesn't make it good. It's not unlike almost all other professional sports nowadays: deadly boring if you abstract all the hype out of them.

tonyzackery said:
From the attached article:
It's pretty clear to me Sastre's issue(s) with the tour in general: 1) The defending champion was relegated to 'side show' status by LA; 2)

What you meant to say is that the defending champ was relegated to side show status by the media.

For example, the media has hyped LA vs AC way more than was actually there. "LA vs AC" sells way more papers and magazines etc. than "Defending Tour Champion Carlos Sastre is angry."

Oops, my mistake - you're right. LA's entire comeback has not been hyped by himself - not at all. There's been absolutely no self-promotion at the tour, no entourage , no retinue, etc...LA's entire season has not been built around the tour. The tour's just another race to LA...How could I've been so misstaken? Thanks for correcting what I meant to say...

A few reasons why the Tour kind of sucks:

1. The route blows. Weak climbing stages with downhill finishes. Tons of sprints. Sprints suck. The best stage IMO was the TTT, and I usually can't stand watching a TTT.
2. The two best riders are on the same team
3. Not enough drama. No doping scandals. Not enough contenders. The best drama is Garmin/HTC, not AC v. Lance.

p.s. As this is a Sastre thread, I must say he is one of the more boring riders ever. The teethy smirk he shows while suffering bugs the hell out of me too. The only memorable thing this guy has ever done is put that pacifier in his mouth

Must kinda suck being a LA fan right now. Left to look for moral victories and such. Gotta be tough on the ego...He's a great pro for being 37 years old though - can definitely take solace in that victory...that's all that's left at this point...

Sastre will probably never win another GT, and I can speculate that he really doesn't care...

I have read your posts previously No Positives, you seem that you are itching for an argument; are you a happy person? do you get happy by insulting others?

If you don't like it watch something else, these days there are so many TV channels. I am looking forward to today's stage.

MMmmmph ref the comments on self promotion. By definition all pro sportsmen must self promote - actually that is true of any job also (I find it rare to see the best in their jobs reach the top. The ones who reach the top typically are supreme self promoters also). To get the best contracts not only must you talk with your legs but show yourself to be a great ambassador for the sport and the sponsors.

All things being equal if you compare two equally able pro cyclists the one who shows himself to be articulate. Willing to talk to the press and put on a show will have a far higher value than one who wont. From that point of view Armstrong is a far more complete star than is Sastre (whether you like the guy or not). Ultimately if a team wants publicity which is what they're in it for. LA's worth is far greater than that of Sastre. Fans of the sport think so too (at least they demonstrate it by following the hype). The press only supply demand.

That doesn't of course mean that he's the most exciting or able cyclist on any day. Mind you he's not doing so badly for an old guy.

Why should it suck being an LA fan right now. The guy is riding exceptionally well given training levels, disrupted buildup and lack of long term preparation (years of iuninterrupted miles in his legs).

He's given his best which is all any fan can hope for. He's acknowledged that he probably wont win. He's being relatively graceful in impending defeat. He's continuing to put on the best show he's able to. As an LA fan I'm not dissapointed. I would have been if he'd packed after the first Contador attack or had he given up and simply sat in the peloton. I would have been had he whined about Contador not supporting him absolutely. Instead he put as much whining up as Contador which was precious little. He's still behaving like the consumate pro. Talking to the press - answering most questions decently. One can't really ask for more. I'm actually more admiring of him in adversity than I was when he was the star winner bloke at the top of his form.

Anyway he might yet pick up a bit more. He might crack. Either way it'll be interesting to watch. I watch sport to see a show. If my favourites can do well so much the better but the show is all important.

Their are so many great guys out there

Contador
Sastre (his diesel engine late charges are interesting to watch)
Wiggins (his interviews are a hoot)
VdV
Jens Voigt (sadly out now)
The Schlecks
Cavendish
Kloden
Evans (wish we knew why he wasn't perfoming. He said yesterday for professional reasons he wasn't able to comment)
and of course people like Asterelo (ok the Spanish guy who won yesterday)

nonns said:
Evans (wish we knew why he wasn't perfoming. He said yesterday for professional reasons he wasn't able to comment)

Yeah the end of the week will be interesting, apparently he is going o talk about his future after the tour finishes. change of team? retirement? who knows!

I like Carlos Sastre.
He is probably the most consistent GT there is in the current peloton.
To my knowledge he has not finished outside of a GT top 10 for years, having ridden the
TDF, Giro and Vuelta consistently.

Don’t know too much about his personal life or his views.
This is a good thing, I reckon.
Shows he’s not a media *****.
The sport could do with more like him.

true nuff

I didn't say the publicity seeking thing was good. Only its natural.
I agree with you on Sastre.
He seems solid and consistent. He also seems like an honest guy.

nonns said:
true nuff

I didn't say the publicity seeking thing was good. Only its natural.
I agree with you on Sastre.
He seems solid and consistent. He also seems like an honest guy.

Well, after making attempts to pick apart the things I wrote, it's good to see you've finally reached a point where you can agree with my initial sentiments regarding Sastre. Carry on...

Well I didn't entirely agree with your points. I don't think that Sastre is quite as attractive a star as the LA's or Contadors etc. for publicity purposes. That said perhaps the man is more likeable than the more popular stars by dint of his understated approach.

I wish he was doing slightly better though. His current performance whilst solid doesn't look quite like the Tour Winning Sastre (was it a one off?)

Not taken any drugs. Nobody can compete with the Dopers of Astana. Thats the bottom line and thats why it's a boring race. Contadope could be 15 or 20 mins ahead of the rest if he wanted to. He's so pumped full of PED's that he looks to me like he has great difficulty holding himself back. Like Riccardo Ricco last year, who was astonished by his own body after taking EPO, and got wat ahead of himself (and everyone else) thereby making it blatantly obvious he was taking more than tea and biscuits.

Dear Carlos Sastre,

If you want to be in the media - ride faster. Nobody cares who comes 13th in the Tour. You get a wee bit of coverage everyday as "the ex champion gets spat out the back" so quit whining.

Actually I've had a change of heart - I'm of to kill Mancester United, Valentino Rossi, Roger Federer, Australia, South Africa and a few other kings of various sports so we can enjoy them more.

Thanks for your insight oh gormless one,

Cheers

Darryl.