Carlton Gardens [Melb]

NickZX6R

Guest
I quite often ride through Carlton Gardens, past the old exhibition
building on the way to work and for the first time in 4 years, a parks
guy had the path blocked with his ute and was telling people not to ride
through the park.

The park has always had the 'no bike' signs painted on them but I reckon
at least hundreds of people ride through there every day.

Did anyone else here get 'hassled'?

I don't have a problem with people riding through there but I don't care
too much either way. THe park shortcut is slightly more convenient for
me but the road is OK too.

It's just nicer riding through the park than in amongst the nutcases :)

--
Nick

"NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I quite often ride through Carlton Gardens, past the old exhibition
> building on the way to work and for the first time in 4 years, a parks
> guy had the path blocked with his ute and was telling people not to ride
> through the park.
>
> The park has always had the 'no bike' signs painted on them but I reckon
> at least hundreds of people ride through there every day.
>
> Did anyone else here get 'hassled'?
>
> I don't have a problem with people riding through there but I don't care
> too much either way. THe park shortcut is slightly more convenient for
> me but the road is OK too.
>
> It's just nicer riding through the park than in amongst the nutcases :)
>
> --
> Nick

Nick,

I think they have been there a couple of times recently in the morning. I
usually break right at the roundabout and come out at the BP on Rathdowne
St.

I have to agree it is nicer in the park, but these days we have lane
markings so you can't ask for much more.

Riding with the "nutcases" what nutcases....you mean the 4wd driver who
pulls across your bike line because there is no car coming and he does not
feel threatened by a bike colliding with his car. That very same one that I
adjusted his mirrors for him and he shouted his "appreciation". Did you see
him too. Perhaps there are others out there.

Kevin

I ride thru (is it called carlton gardens at the southern end?)
there approx 50% of mornings commuting, coming up from Napier St and
left along Gertrude, thru the gardens and down to corner of
Rathdowne and Vic.St.

It is by far the best way to navigate this part of town as the footpath
along the east/south sides is rough/tree-rooted and full of pedestrians
(funnily enough!)

Always see the same dude in the morning feeding the ducks and get to
check out how the latest brood of fuzzy ducklings are progressing. The
air quality is palpable as you enter the gardens and get away from the
road. Very rarely pass more than 3 people and as the pathes are so wide
is very easy to ensure you dont scare anyone or come near them

--

K&C Russell wrote:
> "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I quite often ride through Carlton Gardens, past the old exhibition
>>building on the way to work and for the first time in 4 years, a parks
>>guy had the path blocked with his ute and was telling people not to ride
>>through the park.
>>
>>The park has always had the 'no bike' signs painted on them but I reckon
>>at least hundreds of people ride through there every day.
>>
>>Did anyone else here get 'hassled'?
>>
>>I don't have a problem with people riding through there but I don't care
>>too much either way. THe park shortcut is slightly more convenient for
>>me but the road is OK too.
>>
>>It's just nicer riding through the park than in amongst the nutcases :)
>>
>>--
>>Nick

> Nick,
>
> I think they have been there a couple of times recently in the morning. I
> usually break right at the roundabout and come out at the BP on Rathdowne
> St.
>
> I have to agree it is nicer in the park, but these days we have lane
> markings so you can't ask for much more.
>
> Riding with the "nutcases" what nutcases....you mean the 4wd driver who
> pulls across your bike line because there is no car coming and he does not
> feel threatened by a bike colliding with his car. That very same one that I
> adjusted his mirrors for him and he shouted his "appreciation". Did you see
> him too. Perhaps there are others out there.
>
> Kevin

I'm not fussed by it. Just a bit surprised. I've never seen the no bikes
rule enforced in almost 4 years. Although my g/f says they've been there
a couple of times previously.

I just wonder if there have been complaints which have prompted them to
enforce the rule.

The funny thing is, the parks guy suggested I could either walk the bike
through the park or ride along the footpath!

--
Nick

"NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I quite often ride through Carlton Gardens, past the old exhibition
> building on the way to work and for the first time in 4 years, a parks
> guy had the path blocked with his ute and was telling people not to ride
> through the park.
>
> The park has always had the 'no bike' signs painted on them but I reckon
> at least hundreds of people ride through there every day.
>
> Did anyone else here get 'hassled'?
>
> I don't have a problem with people riding through there but I don't care
> too much either way. THe park shortcut is slightly more convenient for
> me but the road is OK too.
>
> It's just nicer riding through the park than in amongst the nutcases :)
>
> --
> Nick

Hi Nick,

Looked like they were there again today 3/6.

Kevin

"NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I quite often ride through Carlton Gardens, past the old exhibition
> building on the way to work and for the first time in 4 years, a parks
> guy had the path blocked with his ute and was telling people not to ride
> through the park.
>
> The park has always had the 'no bike' signs painted on them but I reckon
> at least hundreds of people ride through there every day.

There was a public meeting held by Melbourne City Council and interested
cyclists concerning use and access to the paths in the Carlton Gardens held
about two weeks ago. Don't know what the outcome of it was, or if it was
just a session for pedestrian users to grouch about redneck cyclists. I
expect BV or the MCC would be able to give you info on what's happening
there.

www.bv.com.au
www.melbourne.vic.gov.au

The sudden appearance of rangers does not bode well for any change to
access restrictions however.

Cheers
Peter

"Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> There was a public meeting held by Melbourne City Council and interested
> cyclists concerning use and access to the paths in the Carlton Gardens

held
> about two weeks ago. Don't know what the outcome of it was, or if it was
> just a session for pedestrian users to grouch about redneck cyclists. I
> expect BV or the MCC would be able to give you info on what's happening
> there.
>
> www.bv.com.au
> www.melbourne.vic.gov.au

More on this from the Council's website (the arlton Gardens issues paper):

"Cycling in Carlton Gardens and Exhibition Reserve has been an issue of
intense community debate in recent years. The Master Plan process is an
opportunity to examine whether the current 'no bike riding' rule should be
changed.

If this is to be considered it may be appropriate to allow cycling on
specified routes or at certain times of the day. It has also been suggested
that the bike network around the gardens should be improved in preference to
allowing cycling through the gardens."

> The sudden appearance of rangers does not bode well for any change to
> access restrictions however.

It would seem from this that the council is trying to steer things towards
greater use of the on-road bike paths by getting rangers to direct people
towards them. Wonder whether this will really change people's cycling
routes.

Cheers
Peter

Posted a big reply to this thread on two days ago via cycling forums,
but hasn't showed up on aus.bicycle, see here

<http://www.cyclingforums.com/t127213.html>

Included plenty of background information about Carlton Gardens
issues etc.

--

Peter Signorini wrote:

> "Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>There was a public meeting held by Melbourne City Council and interested
>>cyclists concerning use and access to the paths in the Carlton Gardens

> held
>
>>about two weeks ago. Don't know what the outcome of it was, or if it was
>>just a session for pedestrian users to grouch about redneck cyclists. I
>>expect BV or the MCC would be able to give you info on what's happening
>>there.
>>
>>www.bv.com.au
>>www.melbourne.vic.gov.au
>>

> More on this from the Council's website (the arlton Gardens issues paper):
>
> "Cycling in Carlton Gardens and Exhibition Reserve has been an issue of
> intense community debate in recent years. The Master Plan process is an
> opportunity to examine whether the current 'no bike riding' rule should be
> changed.
>

> If this is to be considered it may be appropriate to allow cycling on
> specified routes or at certain times of the day. It has also been suggested
> that the bike network around the gardens should be improved in preference to
> allowing cycling through the gardens."
>

>> The sudden appearance of rangers does not bode well for any change to
>>access restrictions however.

> It would seem from this that the council is trying to steer things towards
> greater use of the on-road bike paths by getting rangers to direct people
> towards them. Wonder whether this will really change people's cycling
> routes.
>
> Cheers
> Peter

I think Carlton Gardens is one of those places that is so convenient
and pleasant to ride through compared to the alternatives that only full
time 'security guards' would stop people riding through.

I read the CRA's submission and the bike part sounds a bit silly to me.
The park is wide open, visibility is excellent and the paths are wide.
I'm sure there are some cyclists who ride irresponsibly through there
but I find it hard to believe there are many people who genuinely feel
threatened or in danger because of cyclists.

But then...I'm still finding it hard to accept that there are people who
don't think cycling is just the best fun :)

--
Nick

> I think Carlton Gardens is one of those places that is so convenient
> and pleasant to ride through compared to the alternatives that only full
> time 'security guards' would stop people riding through.

I think the same goes for the Fitzroy Gardens. I see a few people come
off Albert St in the mornings and go through the Fitzroy Gardens
(another one where you're not supposed to ride) and then come out again
near Parliament House. It's longer than keeping on Albert St so I can
only assume they do it for the enjoyment. Personally, by that stage of
the commute I'm too knackered to add any unecessary distance.

DaveB