Carlton Gardens [Melb]

Nickzx6r

Guest
I quite often ride through Carlton Gardens, past the old
exhibition building on the way to work and for the first
time in 4 years, a parks guy had the path blocked with his
ute and was telling people not to ride through the park.

The park has always had the 'no bike' signs painted on them
but I reckon at least hundreds of people ride through there
every day.

Did anyone else here get 'hassled'?

I don't have a problem with people riding through there but
I don't care too much either way. THe park shortcut is
slightly more convenient for me but the road is OK too.

It's just nicer riding through the park than in amongst the
nutcases :)

--
Nick

"NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I quite often ride through Carlton Gardens, past the old
> exhibition building on the way to work and for the first
> time in 4 years, a parks guy had the path blocked with his
> ute and was telling people not to ride through the park.
>
> The park has always had the 'no bike' signs painted on
> them but I reckon at least hundreds of people ride through
> there every day.
>
> Did anyone else here get 'hassled'?
>
> I don't have a problem with people riding through there
> but I don't care too much either way. THe park shortcut is
> slightly more convenient for me but the road is OK too.
>
> It's just nicer riding through the park than in amongst
> the nutcases :)
>
> --
> Nick

Nick,

I think they have been there a couple of times recently in
the morning. I usually break right at the roundabout and
come out at the BP on Rathdowne St.

I have to agree it is nicer in the park, but these days we
have lane markings so you can't ask for much more.

Riding with the "nutcases" what nutcases....you mean the 4wd
driver who pulls across your bike line because there is no
car coming and he does not feel threatened by a bike
colliding with his car. That very same one that I adjusted
his mirrors for him and he shouted his "appreciation". Did
you see him too. Perhaps there are others out there.

Kevin

Originally posted by Nickzx6r
Did anyone else here get 'hassled'?

I don't have a problem with people riding through there but
I don't care too much either way. THe park shortcut is
slightly more convenient for me but the road is OK too.

It's just nicer riding through the park than in amongst the
nutcases :)
--
Nick

Cycling thru Carlton Gardens has been under intense "consultation" for quite some time, see links,

Melbourne City Council,
<http://tinyurl.com/2tw2z>
or
<http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/par...ter+Plan&casid=731&docid=602&type=1&children=>

Carlton Resident Association,
<http://tinyurl.com/37u56>
or
<http://www.carltonresidents.org.au/Current/CRA Carlton Gardens submission Nov 2003 1.DOC>

Bicycle Victoria, Carlton Gardens Masterplan,
<http://tinyurl.com/362w8>
or
<http://www.bv.com.au/Content/Naviga...bourne_campaigns/Carlton_Masterplan-FINAL.pdf>

More information, from CM list, March 2004,
Subject: Cycling in the Carlton Gardens
Hi everyone -

The City of Melbourne is seeking ideas and comments from users of the Carlton Gardens. They are developing a Master Plan to guide the use, development and management of the gardens for the next decade. There is a public forum on this topic tomorrow night (Tue March 23), and written submissions can be sent to the Council until April 8. (See the end of this email for full details on the public forum & written submissions).

As part of this process, the Council is considering the issue of cycling in the Gardens. Cycling is currently banned, but there are many good reasons as to why this ban should be lifted, such as:

* Canning Street is a major north/south bike route into the city. The Gardens provide a natural link between Canning St & the CBD.

* Cycling on the existing shared footpath around the east of the Gardens (Nicholson St) forces cyclists to cross a blind car park entrance, where concrete structures block visibility for drivers. There is also a large section of rough bluestone which makes up part of this shared path.

* Cycling around the west side of the Gardens is means using Rathdowne St, a road with high traffic volumes, particularly in peak hour when the bike lanes don't count for much as drivers jockey for position.

* The roadway south of the Exhibition Buildings is a natural east-west connection between Gertrude St, Fitzroy & Queensberry St, Carlton.

* Cycling in the gardens is safe, paths are wide, and sightlines allow for co-existence of cyclists and pedestrians. Of course, cyclists should respect other path users and maintain a safe speed while riding through the Gardens.

Around 140 submissions were received in the first stage of the consultation, most of these in support of safe cycling in the gardens. As a result, when the Council published its "Issues Paper", they included the following information/
questions specifically relating to cycling in the Gardens:

<quote>

Cycling in Carlton Gardens and Exhibition Reserve has been an issue of intense community debate in recent years. The Master Plan process is an opportunity to examine whether the current `no bike riding' rule should be changed.

If this is to be considered it may be appropriate to allow cycling on specified routes or at certain times of the day. It has also been suggested that the bike network around the gardens should be improved in preference to allowing cycling through the gardens.

* Should cycling be allowed in Carlton Gardens? If so, should specific cycling routes or cycling times or other management techniques be introduced?

* Should the current `no cycling' regulations remain, and the cycling networks around the gardens improved instead?

</quote>

<The complete issues paper can be downloaded from:
http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/parks/default.asp?casid=731&docid=602&
type=1>

Public Forum:
A Public Forum will be held at 7:30 pm on Tuesday, 23 March 2004 at Melbourne Museum, Carlton Gardens. It'd be great if many cyclists were present to put our case (NB: the Carlton Residents' Association has already signalled its opposition to cycling in the Gardens, and they will definitely be at
the meeting tomorrow night). If you wish to attend please RSVP to City of Melbourne Hotline on (03) 9658 9658 or email [email protected]

Written Submissions:
If you want to comment on cycling in the Gardens (or any other matter related to the Master Plan), you can respond in writing by Thursday 8 April 2004 to:

Ms Carmen Dart
Parks and Recreation
City of Melbourne
GPO Box 1603M
Melbourne, Victoria, 3001
Telephone: (03) 9658 9658
Email: [email protected]
Facsimile: (03) 9658 9174

I ride thru (is it called carlton gardens at the southern end?) there approx 50% of mornings commuting, coming up from Napier St and left along Gertrude, thru the gardens and down to corner of Rathdowne and Vic.St.

It is by far the best way to navigate this part of town as the footpath along the east/south sides is rough/tree-rooted and full of pedestrians (funnily enough!)

Always see the same dude in the morning feeding the ducks and get to check out how the latest brood of fuzzy ducklings are progressing.
The air quality is palpable as you enter the gardens and get away from the road. Very rarely pass more than 3 people and as the pathes are so wide is very easy to ensure you dont scare anyone or come near them

K&C Russell wrote:
> "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>
>>I quite often ride through Carlton Gardens, past the old
>>exhibition building on the way to work and for the first
>>time in 4 years, a parks guy had the path blocked with his
>>ute and was telling people not to ride through the park.
>>
>>The park has always had the 'no bike' signs painted on
>>them but I reckon at least hundreds of people ride through
>>there every day.
>>
>>Did anyone else here get 'hassled'?
>>
>>I don't have a problem with people riding through there
>>but I don't care too much either way. THe park shortcut is
>>slightly more convenient for me but the road is OK too.
>>
>>It's just nicer riding through the park than in amongst
>>the nutcases :)
>>
>>--
>>Nick
>

> Nick,
>
> I think they have been there a couple of times recently in
> the morning. I usually break right at the roundabout and
> come out at the BP on Rathdowne St.
>
> I have to agree it is nicer in the park, but these days we
> have lane markings so you can't ask for much more.
>
> Riding with the "nutcases" what nutcases....you mean the
> 4wd driver who pulls across your bike line because there
> is no car coming and he does not feel threatened by a bike
> colliding with his car. That very same one that I adjusted
> his mirrors for him and he shouted his "appreciation". Did
> you see him too. Perhaps there are others out there.
>
> Kevin

I'm not fussed by it. Just a bit surprised. I've never seen
the no bikes rule enforced in almost 4 years. Although my
g/f says they've been there a couple of times previously.

I just wonder if there have been complaints which have
prompted them to enforce the rule.

The funny thing is, the parks guy suggested I could either
walk the bike through the park or ride along the footpath!

--
Nick

"NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I quite often ride through Carlton Gardens, past the old
> exhibition building on the way to work and for the first
> time in 4 years, a parks guy had the path blocked with his
> ute and was telling people not to ride through the park.
>
> The park has always had the 'no bike' signs painted on
> them but I reckon at least hundreds of people ride through
> there every day.
>
> Did anyone else here get 'hassled'?
>
> I don't have a problem with people riding through there
> but I don't care too much either way. THe park shortcut is
> slightly more convenient for me but the road is OK too.
>
> It's just nicer riding through the park than in amongst
> the nutcases :)
>
> --
> Nick

Hi Nick,

Looked like they were there again today 3/6.

Kevin

"NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I quite often ride through Carlton Gardens, past the old
> exhibition building on the way to work and for the first
> time in 4 years, a parks guy had the path blocked with his
> ute and was telling people not to ride through the park.
>
> The park has always had the 'no bike' signs painted on
> them but I reckon at least hundreds of people ride through
> there every day.

There was a public meeting held by Melbourne City Council
and interested cyclists concerning use and access to the
paths in the Carlton Gardens held about two weeks ago. Don't
know what the outcome of it was, or if it was just a session
for pedestrian users to grouch about redneck cyclists. I
expect BV or the MCC would be able to give you info on
what's happening there.

www.bv.com.au www.melbourne.vic.gov.au

The sudden appearance of rangers does not bode well for any
change to access restrictions however.

Cheers Peter

"Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> There was a public meeting held by Melbourne City Council
> and interested cyclists concerning use and access to the
> paths in the Carlton Gardens
held
> about two weeks ago. Don't know what the outcome of it
> was, or if it was just a session for pedestrian users to
> grouch about redneck cyclists. I expect BV or the MCC
> would be able to give you info on what's happening there.
>
> www.bv.com.au www.melbourne.vic.gov.au

More on this from the Council's website (the arlton Gardens
issues paper):

"Cycling in Carlton Gardens and Exhibition Reserve has been
an issue of intense community debate in recent years. The
Master Plan process is an opportunity to examine whether the
current 'no bike riding' rule should be changed.

If this is to be considered it may be appropriate to allow
cycling on specified routes or at certain times of the day.
It has also been suggested that the bike network around the
gardens should be improved in preference to allowing cycling
through the gardens."

> The sudden appearance of rangers does not bode well for
> any change to access restrictions however.

It would seem from this that the council is trying to steer
things towards greater use of the on-road bike paths by
getting rangers to direct people towards them. Wonder
whether this will really change people's cycling routes.

Cheers Peter

Peter Signorini wrote:

> "Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>
>>There was a public meeting held by Melbourne City Council
>>and interested cyclists concerning use and access to the
>>paths in the Carlton Gardens
>
> held
>
>>about two weeks ago. Don't know what the outcome of it
>>was, or if it was just a session for pedestrian users to
>>grouch about redneck cyclists. I expect BV or the MCC
>>would be able to give you info on what's happening there.
>>
>>www.bv.com.au www.melbourne.vic.gov.au
>>

> More on this from the Council's website (the arlton
> Gardens issues paper):
>
> "Cycling in Carlton Gardens and Exhibition Reserve has
> been an issue of intense community debate in recent years.
> The Master Plan process is an opportunity to examine
> whether the current 'no bike riding' rule should be
> changed.
>

> If this is to be considered it may be appropriate to allow
> cycling on specified routes or at certain times of the
> day. It has also been suggested that the bike network
> around the gardens should be improved in preference to
> allowing cycling through the gardens."
>

>> The sudden appearance of rangers does not bode well for
>> any change to access restrictions however.
>

> It would seem from this that the council is trying to
> steer things towards greater use of the on-road bike paths
> by getting rangers to direct people towards them. Wonder
> whether this will really change people's cycling routes.
>
> Cheers Peter

I think Carlton Gardens is one of those places that is so
convenient and pleasant to ride through compared to the
alternatives that only full time 'security guards' would
stop people riding through.

I read the CRA's submission and the bike part sounds a bit
silly to me. The park is wide open, visibility is excellent
and the paths are wide. I'm sure there are some cyclists who
ride irresponsibly through there but I find it hard to
believe there are many people who genuinely feel threatened
or in danger because of cyclists.

But then...I'm still finding it hard to accept that there
are people who don't think cycling is just the best fun :)

--
Nick

> I think Carlton Gardens is one of those places that is so
> convenient and pleasant to ride through compared to the
> alternatives that only full time 'security guards' would
> stop people riding through.

I think the same goes for the Fitzroy Gardens. I see a few
people come off Albert St in the mornings and go through the
Fitzroy Gardens (another one where you're not supposed to
ride) and then come out again near Parliament House. It's
longer than keeping on Albert St so I can only assume they
do it for the enjoyment. Personally, by that stage of the
commute I'm too knackered to add any unecessary distance.

DaveB