Carmichael or joe friel...

gontxo_nos

Jan 12, 2016
Hello, I'm looking to buy a book to follow a training plan. What is your recommendation between these two?

Regards! ;).

Neither. I've got books by both. Carmichael's plans are complex to follow and Friel's I found very tame.

I would suggest the Cyclo-Core training system. With this you get a 12 week plan that includes video workouts for the indoor rides and some core training. If you're a bit more competitive then the Trainerroad plans are first rate but best done after you have some experience. All indoors but you can do many of the workouts outdoors.

Neither. I've got books by both. Carmichael's plans are complex to follow and Friel's I found very tame.

I would suggest the Cyclo-Core training system. With this you get a 12 week plan that includes video workouts for the indoor rides and some core training. If you're a bit more competitive then the Trainerroad plans are first rate but best done after you have some experience. All indoors but you can do many of the workouts outdoors.

You talk about this training?:

http://cyclo-core.com/CYCLO90/

There several training sessions on the Web ... What you recommend me to look?

You talk about this training?:

http://cyclo-core.com/CYCLO90/

There several training sessions on the Web ... What you recommend me to look?

That's the site. If you're new to cycling go with the Cyclo-90 system. If you've got a good level of fitness then go with the new but slightly harder "Masters" system. The thing with this guy's training is you get more than just a plan, you get coached on good pedalling technique, core strength conditioning, how to do recovery / stretching exercises. With the likes of Strava plans you'll just get told what ride or indoor trainer workout to do with virtually zero coaching. Note with the Cyclo-Core systems you'll also need to buy a few weights etc. You might want to do one of his free workouts he has available to see if you like his stuff. Here's a free workout to try:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's also a matching power profile on Trainerroad.com

I'm now doing the training plans on Trainerroad.com. But I've got a few years experience and I'm competitive and race competitively in my age group. I do their workouts, yoga (leart from Cyclo-Core Zen yoga workouts), off the bike core exercises (learnt from Cyclo-Core).

BTW joining a cycling club if you're not already in one I would highly recommend.

That's the site. If you're new to cycling go with the Cyclo-90 system. If you've got a good level of fitness then go with the new but slightly harder "Masters" system. The thing with this guy's training is you get more than just a plan, you get coached on good pedalling technique, core strength conditioning, how to do recovery / stretching exercises. With the likes of Strava plans you'll just get told what ride or indoor trainer workout to do with virtually zero coaching. Note with the Cyclo-Core systems you'll also need to buy a few weights etc. You might want to do one of his free workouts he has available to see if you like his stuff. Here's a free workout to try:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's also a matching power profile on Trainerroad.com

I'm now doing the training plans on Trainerroad.com. But I've got a few years experience and I'm competitive and race competitively in my age group. I do their workouts, yoga (leart from Cyclo-Core Zen yoga workouts), off the bike core exercises (learnt from Cyclo-Core).

BTW joining a cycling club if you're not already in one I would highly recommend.

Thank you very much for all this information. I didn't know this 2 websites for training.

I will read about the Cyclo-90 training system to see the content of this training.

The Cyclo -90 really work?, you made races or marathons following this training?

Regards! ;).

Thank you very much for all this information. I didn't know this 2 websites for training.

I will read about the Cyclo-90 training system to see the content of this training.

The Cyclo -90 really work?, you made races or marathons following this training?

Regards! ;).

Road cycling races. I did Cyclo-90 Masters followed by the Masters In Season plan in 2015 (actually did them twice over the course of the year). Did the Lake Taupo 153 km hilly road race in 4:37 (New Zealand's biggest cycle race). Took 29 minutes off my previous year's time. Also got my road cycling club's most improved male road cyclist aged over 23 in 2015.

Road cycling races. I did Cyclo-90 Masters followed by the Masters In Season plan in 2015 (actually did them twice over the course of the year). Did the Lake Taupo 153 km hilly road race in 4:37 (New Zealand's biggest cycle race). Took 29 minutes off my previous year's time. Also got my road cycling club's most improved male road cyclist aged over 23 in 2015.

Ohhh...They are very good results. I do not know the methods of training of this system but seeing your references, can't seem bad.

The Cyclo-90 requires only one payment to make your workout or has monthly fees?.

Ohhh...They are very good results. I do not know the methods of training of this system but seeing your references, can't seem bad.

The Cyclo-90 requires only one payment to make your workout or has monthly fees?.

It's a one off payment. Currently on special at US $79.96. You'll also need a pair of light dumbbells and stability ball. Plus a trainer of course. If you use Trainerroad you can join the Cyclo-Core team (free) then use the matching power profiles for the indoor workout. Not required but does make the workouts more focussed and you can measure your progress.

You'll learn a lot more from this system than anything in the Friel or Carmichael book.

It's a one off payment. Currently on special at US $79.96. You'll also need a pair of light dumbbells and stability ball. Plus a trainer of course. If you use Trainerroad you can join the Cyclo-Core team (free) then use the matching power profiles for the indoor workout. Not required but does make the workouts more focussed and you can measure your progress.

You'll learn a lot more from this system than anything in the Friel or Carmichael book.

Okey, thank you very much.

Of the training programs that have Cyclo-Core, what do you recommend me?.

My goal is the marathon MTB.

I have 12.000-14.000km in MTB.

Okey, thank you very much.

Of the training programs that have Cyclo-Core, what do you recommend me?.

My goal is the marathon MTB.

I have 12.000-14.000km in MTB.

You want to start off with the base Cyclo-90 plan whether you're doing road or MTB. I also do a bit of mountain biking. Once you've done the 12 week base plan you then do the in season plan (another purchase and some more videos).

Have you got an indoor trainer? No point in getting this plan / system if you don't have one. The outside rides can be done on any sort of bike.

You want to start off with the base Cyclo-90 plan whether you're doing road or MTB. I also do a bit of mountain biking. Once you've done the 12 week base plan you then do the in season plan (another purchase and some more videos).

Have you got an indoor trainer? No point in getting this plan / system if you don't have one. The outside rides can be done on any sort of bike.

Hmmm...I have only a MTB of 29". Is new, of the 2016.

And yes, I have an indoor trainer :).

Thanks! ;).

If you have a smart indoor trainer, I highly recommend The Sufferfest.