Carmichael Training System...anybody use it?

lindykid

Feb 2, 2003
I was looking into it and wondered if anybody here is using it or has used it.

i've got the book and its not too bad but he's put trademarks and fancy names on a lot of stuff every cycling coach will tell you to do. The actual coaching service looks pretty expensive so i suppose it depends on how serious you are.

undoubtably you will pay extra for the name

hehe and ric will probably try and get you to sign up for his coaching instead:D

Duckwah,

I understand that you are joking but...

Ric does sponsor a section of the forum we are using and he "gives out" a lot of good information through his posts.

If I was going to try to take my riding to another level and wanted coaching help, I know where I would go. ;)

in no way was i trying to have a go at Ric, his posts are first rate and he's essentially giving away a lot of valuable training to forum members for free.

the point of my post was to say that i think CTS is probably a little overpriced since its the system "lance" uses and of course celebrities are good for advertising.

if i was looking for a coach i'd be talking to Ric too, i don't agree with everything he says but i'll admit he has heaps more experience with cycling than I do.

Thanks for the info guys. I kind of got that impresion from the CTS stuff sense it is USPS certified...or whatever you want to call it. I will look at ric's stuff also...I duno if this all just a waist of time however. I am really looking for some sort of guidence in training in the biking world...I come from a track and X-country background.

Originally posted by lindykid
Thanks for the info guys. I kind of got that impresion from the CTS stuff sense it is USPS certified...or whatever you want to call it. I will look at ric's stuff also...I duno if this all just a waist of time however. I am really looking for some sort of guidence in training in the biking world...I come from a track and X-country background.

Lindykid,

Please feel free to contact me either by email ([email protected]), private message, or directly on the board and i'll do my best to answer any questions you might have about my service. As an aside, i coach riders from beginners up to pros, so i'm sure i can help!

Ric

Duckwah,

Yeah, we're on the same page.

I did meet Carmichael at the Saturn Cycling Classic last summer and he seemed like a nice guy. I just don't buy into the idea that any one coach knows more than the rest of the coaching world. I used to coach distance runners and had great results but there were a million coaches that know as much as I do. I just was lucky enough to be in the right place with the right kids. Carmichael works with Lance and so his image is enhanced. That doesn't mean that his system is worth more than another proven coach's.

What is considered old in the biking world? I am 25 and it seems once you hit your early 30's you are toast.

In running it is completly different...you can be 40 and still kick the pants off of some phenome in his teens or 20's

I am just currious.

EDIT: Ric, I will email you when I get home. Which means you will be asleep when I do ;P

What's old?

I'm about to find out. I'm a thirty year old student about to start the racing season with a team of college kids. After five years teaching high school I decided to go back and get a Ph.D. and that allows me race with the college club team.

The guys are eight to eleven years younger than I am. They clearly can generate more power when they go "all out" but I think that I train a little harder/smarter than most and have pretty good staying power.

Anyway, they are good fun to train with and if they out-race me, so what? We are on the same team after all. If my job is to ride tempo or lead-out, then so be it.

I do know that I don't recover as fast as years ago. But knowing that it is only likely to get worse over the years makes me enjoy the strength that I have now.

Don't pile the dirt on me yet! :D

hehe, o.k.

I was not trying offend anybody...I have been competing my whole life and the idea of slowing down sucks...that is just because I am young and dumb...heh.

I feel I have missed most of my race days because I was working computer **** straight out of high school...so I missed from 18 -25...

kind of has me down...but I guess I am just being hard on my self

was reading in the cycling mag about a bloke (thorsten whilliehms) who turned pro at about 30. He then won the tour of quatar. so dont give up:)

Originally posted by GearGrinder
was reading in the cycling mag about a bloke (thorsten whilliehms) who turned pro at about 30. He then won the tour of quatar. so dont give up:)

Don't forget the old strongman of the peleton...Ludo Dierckxsens, he was another late starter (I think he used to work in a shoe factory)

cheers

I signed up for CTS Sport Training at $30 per month. It has been good for me. I started last September and have rode all winter. That alone took some discipline, living in northeast US, Maine. You don't get that much custom info; but the program on the computer, a member forum and weekly calls to a coach. That has been enough for me. I have not been out to race or timetrial yet, but I know I am stronger and have more endurance. Before I started this program I usually rode too hard and did not have the consistency in my training. You can get most of the program from Carmichael's book. Don.

PS to my post. I didn't see the references to age in the last few replies. I am 54 years old and using CTS to train for the Senior Olympics in May this year. I hope it works. Don.

Wow! Thanks for all the info it is much appreciated!

And have fun at the olympics!!! That is a great goal.

Originally posted by steve
Don't forget the old strongman of the peleton...Ludo Dierckxsens, he was another late starter (I think he used to work in a shoe factory)

cheers

I thought he worked as a truck painter for DAF.
Oh jeah he was already famous for his cyling at the age of 15, for nor or barely being able to follow the pack.
When you're young growth progress is an important factor.

Originally posted by maarten
I thought he worked as a truck painter for DAF.
Oh jeah he was already famous for his cyling at the age of 15, for nor or barely being able to follow the pack.
When you're young growth progress is an important factor.

For some reason I didnt thing he turned pro until he was in his very late 20's

cheers!

Originally posted by steve
For some reason I didnt thing he turned pro until he was in his very late 20's

cheers!

correct 29 it is born in oktober 1964 pro since 1994. He kept working in the factory because he was afraid of not being good enough to earn enough money to support his family also his first wife wasn't that keen on cyling after they divorced there where lay offs at the factory and his new girlfriend said why don't you try it as a pro. His first big vicory in Paris-bourges and 1999 national championchip where he litteraly slaugtered the rest of the field, just riding hard losing them one by one with a nice solo in the end. Later won a tour the stage victory, where he dubiously got banned by an action of the disputable Van de Vyvere(which has had problems before with Rolf Sörensen and others)

There are a few guys in my cycling club racing in time trials at 80 years old. One of them does a very good 25 mile TT and claims to be a pro sponsored by his pension plan!!!!

Originally posted by 2LAP
One of them does a very good 25 mile TT and claims to be a pro sponsored by his pension plan!!!!

I love it when an old guy has a sense of humour. Dry wit is great. :)