carneddau opinions please

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by rob, Jan 19, 2006.

  1. rob

    rob Guest

    i plan to dp a walk tommorrow from the end of llyn ogwen up to carnedd
    fach
    then on to carnedd lleweln then back to the a5 via ffynon llugwy res
    i am not that familiar with this area
    i am thinking 6 hours should be plenty of time

    any info opinions most welcome
    thanks
    rob

    Tags:

  2. rob wrote:

    > i am thinking 6 hours should be plenty of time

    Probably a bit bleedin obvious but it depends on how fit you
    are. The route is pretty straight forward and the paths you're
    planning to use are all well-worn grooves. Once you've got the
    sharp pull up to Dafydd out of the way you've done most of
    your climbing. I would only feel a little uncomfortable with 6
    hours if it was the last 6 hours of daylight rather than the
    first but once you're onto the reservoir road its very straight
    forward anyway.

    Chris

  3. rob

    rob Guest

    thanks for the info reasonably fit
    not sure about the stretch up to bwlch yr ole wen there is no path marked on
    the map
    had in mind as long as i got to the reservior by dark i would be ok
    planning a 10 am start
    memory map is saying 8.6 miles in lenth looks more to me

    "Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > rob wrote:
    >
    >> i am thinking 6 hours should be plenty of time

    > Probably a bit bleedin obvious but it depends on how fit you
    > are. The route is pretty straight forward and the paths you're
    > planning to use are all well-worn grooves. Once you've got the
    > sharp pull up to Dafydd out of the way you've done most of
    > your climbing. I would only feel a little uncomfortable with 6
    > hours if it was the last 6 hours of daylight rather than the
    > first but once you're onto the reservoir road its very straight
    > forward anyway.
    >
    > Chris

  4. In article <[email protected]>, rob
    <[email protected]> writes
    >i plan to dp a walk tommorrow from the end of llyn ogwen up to carnedd
    >fach
    >then on to carnedd lleweln then back to the a5 via ffynon llugwy res
    >i am not that familiar with this area
    >i am thinking 6 hours should be plenty of time
    >
    >any info opinions most welcome
    >thanks
    >rob

    I would follow the east ridge of Pen yr Ole Wen up from the Afon LLoer
    rather than hacking up the back of Cwm Lloer. It will be slightly
    further but probably faster and certainly more fun / less tiring.

    The descent from Llewelyn to Ffynon Llugwy reservoir goes down a bit of
    a rocky slab just above Bwlch Eryl Farchog. It is not steep or hard but
    you should be aware of it. You will probably need to use your hands so a
    head-torch is essential if you are likely to be there at dusk. Hopefully
    you won't find the rocks iced up!

    If you find yourself a bit late you could bypass Llewelyn and head
    straight down to the south end of Ffynon Llugwy res from the Ysgolio
    Duon area but make sure you keep away from Craig y Llyn to the west of
    the res - you might be best heading downhill to the wall and heading
    east to join the res road. Alternatively you can head pretty much
    straight down the hillside to the A5.

    Forecast says it will be quite windy and the freezing level will be
    about 800m.

    http://www.mwis.org.uk/mountain/SD.PDF

    Have fun!

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  5. "Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, rob
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >>i plan to dp a walk tommorrow from the end of llyn ogwen up to carnedd
    >>fach
    >>then on to carnedd lleweln then back to the a5 via ffynon llugwy res
    >>i am not that familiar with this area
    >>i am thinking 6 hours should be plenty of time
    >>
    >>any info opinions most welcome
    >>thanks
    >>rob
    >>

    > I would follow the east ridge of Pen yr Ole Wen up from the Afon LLoer
    > rather than hacking up the back of Cwm Lloer. It will be slightly further
    > but probably faster and certainly more fun / less tiring.

    The East Ridge is definitely the way to go. Given you can park at least 2/3
    of the way east of Llyn Ogwen, I doubt it is much longer. Getting on the
    East Ridge can be tricky to find the easiest path. Follow the paths up the
    side of the stream towards the lake. The easy entrance to the ridge is
    about 200m short of the lake. If you don't like the gentle scrambling (you
    can do it hands in pockets, but I don't like to), head further round the
    south towards the west and it gets easier.

    The wind, once over Pen yr Ole Wen, can be really fierce up there, not to
    mention the usual snow / ice hazards.

    Have fun,
    Paul

  6. Rob Devereux

    Rob Devereux Guest

    I recall going there two years previous and the path was very badly marked.
    I seem to recall there was a huge boulder across the path and I think you
    have to scale this to find the other side. We tried to go round and ended
    up walking under the cliffs on the Ogwen side - not pleasant to find a hole
    to get through. If you hit the path well, I think you may be ok. There was
    a brilliant sunset on Daffydd and the route down was very good but a little
    exposed in a few spots.

    "rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > i plan to dp a walk tommorrow from the end of llyn ogwen up to carnedd
    > fach
    > then on to carnedd lleweln then back to the a5 via ffynon llugwy res
    > i am not that familiar with this area
    > i am thinking 6 hours should be plenty of time
    >
    > any info opinions most welcome
    > thanks
    > rob

  7. Rob Devereux

    Rob Devereux Guest

    "rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > thanks for the info reasonably fit
    > not sure about the stretch up to bwlch yr ole wen there is no path marked

    on
    > the map
    > had in mind as long as i got to the reservior by dark i would be ok
    > planning a 10 am start

    I seem to remember the stretch from the reservoir down to where we had
    parked the car at the end of that road took ages - possibly 1-2 hours in
    itself. Parking was quite difficult too.

  8. Rob Devereux

    Rob Devereux Guest

    > The descent from Llewelyn to Ffynon Llugwy reservoir goes down a bit of
    > a rocky slab just above Bwlch Eryl Farchog. It is not steep or hard but
    > you should be aware of it. You will probably need to use your hands so a
    > head-torch is essential if you are likely to be there at dusk. Hopefully
    > you won't find the rocks iced up!

    That's the exposed bit I recall.

  9. In article <[email protected]>, Rob Devereux
    <[email protected]> writes
    >I seem to remember the stretch from the reservoir down to where we had
    >parked the car at the end of that road took ages

    It does seem to go on a bit and the steepest part of the road is hard
    work with tired legs but it doesn't really take very long. It is about
    1.5 miles from the track at the reservoir joining the road to the gate
    at the bottom.

    >- possibly 1-2 hours in
    >itself. Parking was quite difficult too.

    IIRC you can also park at the campsite near the start of the reservoir
    road (Gwern Gof Isaf - 300m towards Ogwen) for a small fee.

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  10. rob

    rob Guest

    thanks to for your input
    was a murky day mist was on the top most of the day very poor views
    the wind was ripping along most of the ridges but at least it didnt rain
    took 6 hours
    dead

    news:[email protected]