Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

E & V Willson

Guest
I would appreciate any hints to improve/relieve carpal tunnel syndrome. The Doctor tells me that I
have a mild case, and I don't want to see it get worse. It seems that riding can cause it. Are any
handlebars/grips better that others? Any helpful suggestions or site links will be appreciated.

Thanks, Ernie

>I would appreciate any hints to improve/relieve carpal tunnel syndrome. The Doctor tells me that I
>have a mild case, and I don't want to see it get worse. It seems that riding can cause it. Are any
>handlebars/grips better that others? Any helpful suggestions or site links will be appreciated.

Riding can definitely cause it. Especially MTBing on rough terrain. The first time I went off road,
I couldn't close my left hand for 4 days. What I did was I got a suspension fork and that make
things much better.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

How about aero bars? Then your forearms support the weight instead of your hands.

E & V Willson wrote:

> I would appreciate any hints to improve/relieve carpal tunnel syndrome. The Doctor tells me that I
> have a mild case, and I don't want to see it get worse. It seems that riding can cause it. Are any
> handlebars/grips better that others? Any helpful suggestions or site links will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Ernie

Kolaga Xiuhtecuhtli <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm recovering from a problem with my ulnar nerve. It was Cyclist's Palsy.
>
> My left hand went weak for certain motions. I was OK with the brakes but I couldn't shift (road
> bike...) I think it was an episode of ischemia. I put too much weight on my hands while in the
> drops and this cut off blood to the ulnar nerve in my palm.
>
> Now I ride with the most padded gloves I can get and I change hand position
>
> frequently. I suspect hot baths (heat to the hand) helped the healing process. It took three
> months to get my strength back. Hope things go well for you too!

Strangely enough this was probably caused not so much by pressure on the hands as by the kink in
your neck and back. You can generally prevent this problem with a more upright position and a
lighter helmet.

When people were wearing those really heavy helmets these sorts of problems were a lot more common.
That was why they had gel filled gloves and foam bar tape and the like. When helmets got half as
heavy most of these problems disappeared.

On 27 Dec 2002 11:59:57 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Kunich) wrote:

>Strangely enough this was probably caused not so much by pressure on the hands as by the kink in
>your neck and back. You can generally prevent this problem with a more upright position and a
>lighter helmet.

Ooh! Please! Can I be the one to suggest riding a bent? I'm sure it's my turn by now!

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

>> I would appreciate any hints to improve/relieve carpal tunnel syndrome.

Have your bike fit checked and frequently change positions on the bar...tops, hoods and drops.
>How about aero bars? Then your forearms
support the weight instead of your
>hands.

These will give another position for the hands. I use them, but control is diminished and they
shouldn't be used around other riders.

> Any helpful suggestions or site links will be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks, Ernie

Sorry, I haven't any web help.

brad/texas

Specialized body geometry gloves helped me a great deal!!
--
______________________________________

From: Rob Senior Executive Managing Manager, Department of Redundancy Department
______________________________________

"Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Have your bike fit checked and frequently change positions on the
bar...tops,
> > hoods and drops.
> > >How about aero bars? Then your
forearms
> > support the weight instead of your
> > >hands.
> >
> > These will give another position for the hands. I use them, but control
is
> > diminished and they shouldn't be used around other riders.
>
> Or automobile traffic!
>

> > > Any helpful suggestions or site links will be

> > Sorry, I haven't any web help.
> >
> > brad/texas
>
> ---
> TLP de Guzman Bankside House 24 Sumner Street London SE1 9JA UNITED KINGDOM
>
> tel: +44 870 873 4587, ext.2766 (landline)
> : +44 781 792 1610 (mobile)
>
> "Ka-tagal-tagal ko na nag-aaral, tignan mo, kupas na ang aking maong! Kung akala mo ako ay natuto
> na, Hindi pa rin..."
> - Apo Hiking Society

---