carpel tunnel gloves

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Cat Dailey, Mar 22, 2003.

  1. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    I can never seem to find the website when I do a google search for the guy who sells the bicycling
    gloves specifically for carpel tunnel sufferers. Can someone out there point me to it please?

    Thanks, Cat [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Cat,

    I suffered from carpal tunnel. My son bought me a set of gloves, which are padded, and the padding
    helped remarkably (although these gloves are not specifically designed to cure carpal tunnel). They
    are made by Trico, and relatively inexpensive. I was also told that "Specialized" makes a true
    carpal tunnel glove.

    FWIW, my Doctor and Gym trainer both recommended wrist curls to cure carpal tunnel, and for the most
    part, this has cured my problem. To do this exercise you need a small barbell (3 lb. is adequate,
    although I use 12). Rest your forearm on a level surface, with the hand extended (palm up), and
    where you can rotate up and down using your wrist. Grasp the barbell and let it roll down to the end
    of your fingers. Let the wrist drop, and then raise the weight by rotating your wrist upward. Repeat
    as necessary. Worked for me.

    HTH, Ernie

    Cat Dailey wrote:

    > I can never seem to find the website when I do a google search for the guy who sells the bicycling
    > gloves specifically for carpel tunnel sufferers. Can someone out there point me to it please?
    >
    > Thanks, Cat [email protected]

  3. Mikeyankee

    Mikeyankee Guest

    Specialized makes a glove to relieve pressure on the ulnar nerve, a common problem (do a web search
    for 'cyclist's palsy'). I have a pair of these gloves and they're comfy but really don't help my
    carpal tunnel symptoms. CTS affects not the ulnar but the medial nerve.

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

  4. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I can never seem to find the website when I do a google search for the guy who sells the bicycling
    > gloves specifically for carpel tunnel sufferers. Can someone out there point me to it please?
    >
    > Thanks, Cat [email protected]

    i have had problems with carpal tunnel since breaking my wrist in a motorcycle accident in 1996. the
    recommendation for wrist curls is good, i also did squeezing exercises with a rubber ball. padded
    gloves never seemed to help much, in fact some seemed to make it worse. one of the best things i did
    was to switch handlebars, to a "noodle" bar from rivendell. it's a regular style (not ergonomic),
    with a smaller ramp angle of 15 degrees. i also prefer the regular aero brake levers with bar end
    shifters. tried STI, but they were bulkier and not as comfortable for me. i'm not anti-STI, for many
    riders they work very well. good luck in finding a solution! smokey strodtman